Will a re-sleeve stretch out again?

(deactivated member)
on 12/5/13 12:19 pm - Greater Austin Area
VSG on 02/03/12

Nicholivolkoff I have read your story before about having a DS added to your sleeve. I think that was a good idea to get the DS but it does seem that the lack of restriction is a big problem for you. They say the DS works best with the sleeve and DS done at the same time.  I really DO think a resleeve will help as long as it can be done safely. I know a few ladies now who have been re-sleeved with much better success the second time around. I don't know if their sleeves were too big in the first place or improperly made or what. Just make sure you work on your habits so you don't have this problem as much in the future. Like don't drink your calories and watch the carbs even with the DS. You already know those sugars/simple carbs will get you even if you have the DS! I know a lady who had the DS and still gained back 100 lbs, although you don't hear about it as much with the DS because it doesn't happen as often. But it definitely DOES happen, you just don't see many posts about it because they are ashamed and upset about their regain after having such a powerful surgery.   You can out eat any WLS. I'm not saying you did, jus****ch those things. Some of the people I talked to who had gained back significant weight were definitely drinking their calories AND consuming high calorie foods that slide right through the sleeve. Good luck!!! I hope it works out for you!

nicholivolkoff
on 12/5/13 3:14 pm - Canada

THANKS SO MUCH!! And I totally agree.  -Michelle

(deactivated member)
on 12/6/13 2:53 am

ANY wls restriction can stretch if you push the limits time and time again.  A banded/rny pouch or a DS/sleeve stomach can stretch.  It's a muscle, muscles can stretch.  However, it is easier to dilate a pouch than it is a sleeve merely because they use the fundus to make a pouch vs. the muscular portion to make a sleeve.

o46spanky2
on 12/29/13 12:09 am

It will "stretch" and you will be 400 lbs in a few years if you don't change your habits. I know this because it happened to me. I had DS back in 2000, went from 330 to 190, and now I'm 290 and getting resleeved Jan 16. I did not follow the post op plan, I ate and drank whatever I wanted and still lost weight, so I thought it was all good. I was a Detective in the Bronx, working crazy hours, going out with the guys 3-4 nights a week, living like a rock star, and now I'm retired and almost as big as I was before my first dance with DS. What will be different? I know things now, that I didn't know then, like if I dont change my habits, I will be 300 lbs again and diabetic, with heart disease, as they both run in the family. So, I will stick to the plan this time around. DS, like all other WLS, is JUST a tool, and it has to be used wisely. Hope everything works out well for you.   

Grandma Blue Eyes
on 2/27/14 1:26 pm - Brick, NJ

I'm just wondering if you went through with the resleeve? I have been thinking about doing it too?

nicholivolkoff
on 2/27/14 4:21 pm - Canada

Hi, yes, I did have a resleeve done, but not much has changed. It was not exactly a resleeve, it was more like a tightening. Since I also have a DS, the surgeon did not want to make it too small. I have not lost any weight.

Grandma Blue Eyes
on 2/27/14 8:23 pm - Brick, NJ

When did you have it done? Is the recovery the same? How long did you have to stay in the hospital?

nicholivolkoff
on 2/28/14 9:02 am - Canada

Hi, I had this done in mid December. I have not lost any weight at all. I can eat a bit less. Recovery was not the same as my fisrt VSG, that was 3 days. This time it was only one day. GOOD LUCK.

Valerie G.
on 2/27/14 8:42 pm - Northwest Mountains, GA

Yes, stomach tissues stretches, whether it is a sleeve or pouch for RNY.  The tissue that the sleeve is made out of is not as stretchy as the outer curvature that was removed, but it will not remain its original size.  I'm 8.5 yrs out from the DS (includes sleeve stomach) and I can eat 4-5 times what I could the first year, but nowhere near what I used to eat, still.  Perhaps you need something more than eating less if you're not getting the results you hoped for?  The DS changed my metabolism along with the sleeve...and it worked like a charm even with the stretching.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

nicholivolkoff
on 2/28/14 9:02 am - Canada

Thanks.

Most Active
Recent Topics