Will a re-sleeve stretch out again?

nicholivolkoff
on 11/23/13 7:30 am - Canada

Hi, I am being resleeved this December. The reason for failure is that my original vsg was stretched out too much, and I have been able to eat a lot. I am hoping after vsg number 2, it cannot stretch out again. Anyone out there have experience with a resleeve, and know about stretching? Thanks in advance. -Michelle, Ontario

Hislady
on 11/23/13 8:58 am - Vancouver, WA

You might want to post this on the sleeve forum because from what I've read resleeving is pretty dangerous. Unless the sleeve was made huge to begin with there isn't much point in resleeving because there isn't that much to tighten up with. The sleeve shouldn't stretch all that much because the stretchy part of the stomach is what is removed and the less stretchy part is what is left. Are you sure it isn't a matter of eating foods that are too soft, carby or sliders?Lots of folks tend to go back to those types of food after awhile. Where the ones who stick primarily to solid protein like meats and low carb veggies tend to still not be able to eat alot even years out. If you eat large amounts of food and keep testing the amounts you can eat even a 2nd sleeve would probably have a similar problem. You need to learn to under eat your sleeve not over eat. I wish you luck but you may want to try different eating techniques first before undergoing surgery again.

Kvp1029
on 12/1/13 3:40 am
Revision on 12/28/13

Nicolivolkoff, I to am seriously thinking of being resleeved.  I had my first vsg in September 2007.  I had great success. I lost 147lbs and I was wearing 0-2 pants.  Small shirts.  It was like a fairy tale but I had to work very hard to get the weight down.  I began a very regimented exercise program , to the point of over exercising.  Then February 2013 hit and I had been diagnosed with PTSD severe. I had to resign my position of 9 years as a police detective due to not being able to pass the psych eval, but I think the psychologist made up their mind before the even met me because I had strong support from psychiatrist an counselor. I quit living in February.  I am steal dealing with Major Depression and anxiety disorders.  I began to gain weight in March..  By November I am up to 240lbs.. In July I started to try and get my self together and start working my sleeve.  The thing is. Sleeve is stretched out and I have no restriction.  I also am able to eat grains and carbs.  I couldn't do it for years after surgery.  My vsg Dr used the largest canuli available.  The 40.  That's all he felt comfortable doing at the time but since then he has moved to usin 32canuli.  8 inches is a significant amount.  I'm hoping it will do the trick.  Because I can't get any fatter, I'll have a nervous breakdown.  I have gained weight since July when I started my exercise and protein first program.  I understand why you want the resleeved...and I honestly think if you had the largest banana stomach to begin with it would be worth resleeved  just my two since

nicholivolkoff
on 12/1/13 8:27 am, edited 12/1/13 8:27 am - Canada

Wow we have a lot in common. I also had PTSD, then it turned into major depression and anxiety. I am on long term disability for 2 years now, gaining weight with every week. I am up to 194 from my lowest weight of 145. I hope this resleeve does the trick, otherwise I am screwed. Then after my resleeve, my ds can work properly. I wish you the best and agree that a resleeve sounds like it would work for you too. Lots of people get revisions. Mine will be Dec. 17th in Montreal. Also getting a hiatus hernia fixed at the same time. Maybe double the pain this time, since 2 separate areas are being worked on. I will suck it up and take the pain. I think this will be my answer.   -Michelle, Ontario

Kvp1029
on 12/3/13 3:31 am
Revision on 12/28/13

I went for my consultation and found out I have a hiatal hernia as well.  My dr wants to do the revision to the one where they fold the stomach and sew it together.  He has been doing them for a few years with great success.  He prefers that revision for a pre sleeved patient.  I've read a lot of negative things on here about it, but I feel I need to trust my Dr.  He is one of the very best in Dallas area.  I hope your surgery goes well and just keep working on PTSD.  I'm on long term disability for that as well but it only runs for two years.  I've been on it for about a year. I'm in the process of trying to get approved for social security benefits.  There are many days I have daymares and flashbacks.  I'm not fit to work around people in this condition.  Again good luck on your surgery. 

nicholivolkoff
on 12/3/13 6:13 am - Canada

Thanks, good luck to you too. I don't know what style of surgery will be used to fix my hernia, but all the HH footage on youtube seems the same, wrap around esophagus.  -Michelle

(deactivated member)
on 12/5/13 5:14 am

Nooooooo, I think you are misunderstanding.  What you describe is not a hiatal hernia repair, that is a Nissan Fundoplication.

Repairing a HH *usually* just 1-2 sutures.  That's all.

pineview01
on 12/29/13 6:00 am - Davison, MI
On December 3, 2013 at 11:31 AM Pacific Time, Kvp1029 wrote:

I went for my consultation and found out I have a hiatal hernia as well.  My dr wants to do the revision to the one where they fold the stomach and sew it together.  He has been doing them for a few years with great success.  He prefers that revision for a pre sleeved patient.  I've read a lot of negative things on here about it, but I feel I need to trust my Dr.  He is one of the very best in Dallas area.  I hope your surgery goes well and just keep working on PTSD.  I'm on long term disability for that as well but it only runs for two years.  I've been on it for about a year. I'm in the process of trying to get approved for social security benefits.  There are many days I have daymares and flashbacks.  I'm not fit to work around people in this condition.  Again good luck on your surgery. 

The surgery you are describing is placation.  Done on a whole stomach it is where you get the negative feedback.  Done to tighten a sleeve is a different story and seems to be safer than re-sleeving with the original method.

BAND REMOVED 9-4-12-fought insurance to get sleeve and won! Sleeved 1/22/13! Five years out and trying to get that last 15 pounds back off.

pineview01
on 12/29/13 6:14 am, edited 12/29/13 6:14 am - Davison, MI
On December 1, 2013 at 11:40 AM Pacific Time, Kvp1029 wrote:

Nicolivolkoff, I to am seriously thinking of being resleeved.  I had my first vsg in September 2007.  I had great success. I lost 147lbs and I was wearing 0-2 pants.  Small shirts.  It was like a fairy tale but I had to work very hard to get the weight down.  I began a very regimented exercise program , to the point of over exercising.  Then February 2013 hit and I had been diagnosed with PTSD severe. I had to resign my position of 9 years as a police detective due to not being able to pass the psych eval, but I think the psychologist made up their mind before the even met me because I had strong support from psychiatrist an counselor. I quit living in February.  I am steal dealing with Major Depression and anxiety disorders.  I began to gain weight in March..  By November I am up to 240lbs.. In July I started to try and get my self together and start working my sleeve.  The thing is. Sleeve is stretched out and I have no restriction.  I also am able to eat grains and carbs.  I couldn't do it for years after surgery.  My vsg Dr used the largest canuli available.  The 40.  That's all he felt comfortable doing at the time but since then he has moved to usin 32canuli.  8 inches is a significant amount.  I'm hoping it will do the trick.  Because I can't get any fatter, I'll have a nervous breakdown.  I have gained weight since July when I started my exercise and protein first program.  I understand why you want the resleeved...and I honestly think if you had the largest banana stomach to begin with it would be worth resleeved  just my two since

So your surgeon used a 40 French Bougie guide?  This is not the largest by a long shot as 40-64 was very common with the first sleeved stomachs.  Many still are doing 40-48.  The 32f is the smallest used in the US but, have seen some done as small as 26/8 elsewhere.  I am not sure where you come up with the 8 inches as there is only .100 between the 32 and the 40.

2012 BOUGIEs from hospital NURSGIRL OH VSG forum member works at: 1st: 36F,  2nd: 38F left and 32F right 
36 bougie  Bougies

BAND REMOVED 9-4-12-fought insurance to get sleeve and won! Sleeved 1/22/13! Five years out and trying to get that last 15 pounds back off.

Grandma Blue Eyes
on 2/27/14 1:27 pm - Brick, NJ

Did you go through with the resleeve? I'm thinking of doing it too.

Most Active
Recent Topics