Anyone have revision after RNY?

CoastiesGirl
on 1/22/14 9:45 am - Point Reyes Station, CA

I am 3.5 years post op and have gained back 44 pounds from my lowest weight. I never made my goal weight and my current loss is only 81lbs. I went from 345 to 220 and back up to 264. I am wondering what everyones expirence with revision is. 

tonitunes
on 1/22/14 12:34 pm - Paris, AR

This is my worry/wonder as well. I had surgery 12 years ago. Went from 320 down to 170 and since have climbed back up and over to 330 now. I had RNY so I'm interested in a revision but I've heard RNY to DS is the best... though it doesn't seem many people in the whole country do it.

I guess I'm going to be meeting with the surgery center this Saturday to see what sort of options I do have.

I hope I'm at least a candidate for something.

Ladytazz
on 1/22/14 12:40 pm

How is your eating?  My opinion is revisions are a waste of time unless to correct mechanical failure or side effects like ulcers.  If everything is how it is supposed to be then what benefit is there to a revision?  Have you seen your surgeon to check out your pouch and stoma to make sure they are they way they are supposed to be?  If not that would be the first step.  If everything is how it should be then it's time to meet with a NUT and eat the way you are supposed to with a RNY.  It really is a tool.  It does nothing by itself, it only helps if you do your part.  If you really are eating correctly and not eating junk then you may benefit from a more malabsorptive procedure like a DS but you really need to give your tool a chance before you put your body through more surgery.

If you are honest with yourself about your eating and know it is because you haven't made the changes necessary for success then you may benefit from counseling to find out why you subjected yourself to major surgery and weren't able to make changes in your eating.

WLS 10/28/2002 Revision 7/23/2010

High Weight  (2002) 240 Revision Weight (2010) 220 Current Weight 115.

QoftheU
on 1/22/14 1:17 pm - Bay Area/Silicon Valley, CA
Revision on 12/18/13

I completely agree with LadyTazz... To thine own self be true!

Leslie - Band Revision to RNY - best thing ever!   HW: 234   SW: 222  CW: Ticker  GW: 130

heathercross
on 1/23/14 8:58 pm - New York, NY

I agree with Lady Tazz.  You need to see what is going on mechnically. If your surgery failed you, yes, consider a revision and consider the one that's best for you.  If you failed your surgery for lack of exercise of compliance, I'm not sure you are the BEST candidate for a surgery and you are going under the knife for nothing.    

Robin1222
on 1/28/14 3:49 am - Leominster, MA
I see you feel revisions are a waste of time.... Also that you had a revision yourself. Maybe you would be less critical of someone you dont know from a post to a person you dont know.. I'm upset you didnt make it clear why you had revision before comments
optiplex
on 1/22/14 7:15 pm

I just had a RNY revision on 01/10 with Dr Barry Greene. Initial surgery was in 2005 , I lost a 100lbs total but over the years started to  gain. My BMI on revision day was 30 ... which is low but my pouch was dilated and I had no restriction. 

I did not revise to DS. Dr Greene pretty much fine tuned existing RNY structure (smaller pouch,restriction), removed the non functional roux limb ( "candy cane" )  and also removed the ghrelin producing portion of the remnant stomach (fundus) to curb hunger. The revision approach was customized to suit my needs. I have since lost approx 16lbs since the 10th.

I am very happy about this 2nd chance and determined to remain compliant, follow the rules as much as I can and  leverage this tool to control my weight.

The surgery itself was not a walk in the park, it is MAJOR and I spent 3 days in the hospital. I cannot go through that again.

Please evaluate the reasons why you are not compliant re: eating habits, food choices etc I cannot judge you but if you don't deal with those issues, a revision is not going to work.

Hope this helps. Good Luck!

kaedwards75
on 1/26/14 3:54 am

Congrats!! ON YOUR SECOND CHANCE!! I was 310 lbs in 2005 when i had my surgery, now i am 308 lbs... but i was sooo much into the honey moon phase that i thought eating this and eating that wouldn't hurt but it does. this is a lifetime decision we knew the consequences and im hopefully gonna get mine.. Im waiting for approval now... How was the recovery? do you eat the same as when you first had it? how much weight are your expected to lose? thank for reading this... im trying to do as much research as i can.. I hear so many bad complications to this , i want to hear something positive..

God bless! Good losing!! 

buttrrfli
on 1/30/14 3:09 pm - Rapid City, SD

First couple weeks post op were much more uncomfotable than the first time around. Very tired first month.Had an excellent surgeon. He was very familiar with my type complaint. No complications post op.Back to work at 5 wks.Less fatigue now. Pouch not as sensitive. Never had problems with nausea or eating.  Can eat more than recomended 1/2 cup. Glad to be eating healthier. Wt loss stalled. Have to exercise. Going to nutritionist tomorrow. Hope to get a kickstart.No predictions for wt loss. It's plain old hard work,diet and exercise. No malabsorption to assist with wt loss this time. Hope you get what you need.

Dawn.

rj0274
on 1/23/14 2:16 am - TX
Revision on 07/03/13

I had my original surgery in 2005 and lost about 60 lbs. and gained all of it back over the 8 years until I had the revision in June 2013.  My revision was similar to one described by another post in this string - the "reservoir" / "candy cane" pouch was removed as was the section of the stomach that produces ghrelin.

I've lost about 30 lbs since the end of June and hit a plateau around the Holidays.  I'm now even starting to see my weight creep up but I'm keeping focused on it and I'm committed to not letting it get out of control.  I can always revert back to the post-surgery liquid or soft food diet to get back on track.  The biggest thing is embracing major life changes.  I've been religious about going to the gym or getting some sort of exercise at least 5 days a week.  Also, I've been using MyFitnessPal to diary everything I eat.  It helps to keep track of calories and to ensure you're eating enough.  I never used to eat breakfast thinking I was avoiding calories, but that just made me hungrier at lunch and dinner - plus, it didn't allow my metabolism to kick in first thing in the morning. 

I keep a bag of almonds and turkey jerky at my desk and try to snack on high protein, low fat foods if I get hungry throughout the day.

Regarding the RNY to DS, my surgeon explained that the DS procedure may result in more nausea, vomiting and diarrhea, none of which appealed to me.  I'm sure other OH members may disagree with that, but that was the information provided to me.  I have no regrets with the RNY revision.  Good luck!

Most Active