Trying for a Revision

Epthomas59
on 2/26/14 12:31 am

First please excuse my babbling post……I had open RNY gastric bypass in September 2004 with a high weight of 323 when I was admitted to the hospital. I managed to get down to 224 pounds and now I am up to 245 pounds, which I have maintained for the last three years with a rigid diet of no heavy carbs after 2pm. Lean meats and veggies. On the weekends I will occasionally eat a hamburger, but no fries.  About two months after my surgery I began getting periodic severe abdominal pains (dumping?) in my stomach after I ate, and it did not matter what I ate, because I would stop eating a specific food in order to not have the pain anymore. It doesn’t matter, the pain comes back and it is excruciating. In November 2012 I was hospitalized for four days as I had to go to the emergency room for the pain. My stomach/pouch was pumped and I had a series of x-rays to see if there was a blockage. Nothing. I was advised by the hospital on call doctor to see my bariatric surgeon, who now happens to not be in the area. 

I meet with my family practice doctor who had me get an enthroscopy and colonoscopy. The results showed nothing. My doctor agreed that I should find a bariatric surgeon and possibly get a revision. I had no idea you could get a revision.   After some research, I found a surgeon, Dr. Matthew Fitzer who specializes in revisions and made a consultation appointment for 14 March. I am hoping that the revision will take care of this pain I get and set me on the road to get the rest of the weight off of me. Sorry to babble, but has anyone had the problems I have had then have a revision?

30something
on 2/26/14 10:11 am - Rochester Hills, MI

I'm in the first stages of a revision. Lap band to gastric sleeve. I am having trouble keeping food down,  abdominal pain and heart burn. I am having a stress test 3/10/2013 and then my preauth will be submitted. 

Vona
38 yrs old      

Paradise
on 2/26/14 7:41 pm

Hello...I am having issues associated with past gastric bypass surgery and looking into a revision.  Is there a reason you are paying out of pocket and not covered by insurance?  I was assuming that the insurance company would cover a revision if it was medically necessary.

Epthomas59
on 2/26/14 10:39 pm

Good luck to you 30something. Let me know how your stress test goes. It just breaks my heart after going through the first procedure, I have to do this again. But this time it will be laparoscopic.

tashadelight
on 2/26/14 10:54 am - Ypsilanti, MI

I am going thru something similar as far as pain and dumping, and I never reached goal. I am looking into a revision as well, I wish you the best of luck!!!!

Epthomas59
on 2/26/14 10:41 pm

Thank you tashadelight I will let you know what happens after my appointment. 14 March seems so far away.

pineview01
on 2/28/14 9:45 am - Davison, MI

What revision are you getting?  Are they just going RNY to RNY or are you going RNY to DS?  If so I would check out the DS boards as only a few surgeons do it.  If RNY to RNY, I haven't seen much success here, sorry to day.

BAND REMOVED 9-4-12-fought insurance to get sleeve and won! Sleeved 1/22/13! Five years out and trying to get that last 15 pounds back off.

Epthomas59
on 2/28/14 10:19 am

I am going to discuss with my surgeon, but I believe I want the revised Lap RNY and to cut away scar tissue, readjust the pouch so my intestines don't keep twisting and causing me so much pain. It is getting more and more frequent since my original open RNY in 2004.

pineview01
on 2/28/14 10:44 am - Davison, MI

I hope all goes well for your!

BAND REMOVED 9-4-12-fought insurance to get sleeve and won! Sleeved 1/22/13! Five years out and trying to get that last 15 pounds back off.

AngelicMythology
on 3/1/14 12:44 am - Buffalo, NY
Revision on 01/21/13

After my original surgery, I would get a random spasm like feeling on my side but that had eventually went away with time. I'm sorry to hear of all your problems. 

I had been successful after my initial surgery for quite a few years then started packing on the weight. I was hoping my surgeon would say I was eating too much or not exercising enough. Even my pouch was fine. I did research and asked a lot of questions. 

I was rny to rny revision. So far I  have lost 85 pounds from revision. I'm 3 pounds from a normal BMI. I am hoping to lose another 10 pounds though and work hard to maintain afterwards. Honestly I think it has a lot to with the individual's needs. I knew it had to be something more when my diet and exercise were okay. I turned out to have quite a lot of intestines which was found out after the surgery.  Research all options. Every person's situation is unique and may lead them down a different path. 

January 8, 2007 - RNY - HW: 285, LW: 135

January 21, 2013 - Revision - Distal RNY: HW: 235, CW: 135

Most Active
Recent Topics