now getting scared

peanut16
on 3/18/14 8:48 am - Willow Spring, NC

after 5 years with this band and dealing with my slips and upside down port.  My insurance company has approved me for both procedures.  The removal of the band and replacing it with the sleeve.  I do hope I am making the right choices this time.  Tomorrow or Thursday I will get my surgery date which is looking more and more like the second week of April according to my doctor.  I just wonder what is next thing I need to do?  

Peanut16

Hislady
on 3/18/14 3:20 pm - Vancouver, WA

I had my band removed last month and it was the best thing I ever did! Unfortunately I can't get a revision because of other health issues I barely made it thru the removal because my lungs are so bad. I had planned to wait till I hit 65 so I could get the sleeve with the removal but it got so bad I could barely swallow and just HAD to have it out. I don't even know if the insurance is going to cover it but it just hurt so bad and I was losing weight so fast I had to get it out!

I think you are making an excellent choice with the sleeve, I had looked at all the surgeries and the sleeve was what looked best to me. If I were you I would spend time on the VSG forum and see how they are over there and it will give you an idea of what sleeve life will be like. Good luck to you!

pineview01
on 3/18/14 4:22 pm, edited 3/18/14 4:23 pm - Davison, MI

You are lucky they approved you for both procedures.  I was able to prove I had need to get the band out but had to fight after it was out to get the sleeve.  It was worth all the stress, worry and fighting.  I love my sleeve.  It is so great after the pain and problems with the band.  That said, two weeks before getting the sleeve, I still started to second guess myself getting the sleeve.  All the self-doubt about failing with the band almost did me in.  

Check out the sleeve boards.  When you say you are wondering what is next to do are you asking in the surgery process?  Or life with the sleeve in general?

BAND REMOVED 9-4-12-fought insurance to get sleeve and won! Sleeved 1/22/13! Five years out and trying to get that last 15 pounds back off.

peanut16
on 3/18/14 10:10 pm - Willow Spring, NC

Thank you.  I have been checking out the VSG site too.  I am sorry that you both had so much trouble.  I will be praying for both of you. 

Peanut16

peanut16
on 3/18/14 10:15 pm - Willow Spring, NC

hislady when will you be 65?

Pinheist I am doing the same thing with second guessing my decision.  Part of me is saying oh yea lets get this done now and the other part is you had the band and you couldn't make it work but only for 2 years.....is the sleeve going to be any better?  My cousin and two of my friends had the sleeve done and they are doing so well with it.

Peanut16

Most Active