Stunned by Lap-Band Posts Here

SuzinDallas
on 4/27/14 2:21 am

I stayed the WLS related boards once I learned that my band failed, which was a few years ago.  Now that I'm back and prepping for my revision I've been poking around a lot and really saddened by the posts I see.

It seems I'm not in the minority here.  Not even close to it.  Even on the actual Realize and Lap-Band forums the majority of the posts are about revision, trouble with refulx etc.  Things I could have written myself.

My mother had Lap-Band about a year after mine and lost all of her pre-op weight and is able to keep it off.  No issues with the band.  BUT...she was recently told by one of her co-workers-she's a nurse and was talking to someone in the bariatric clinic in her hospital that said that the band is meant for people who need to lose under 100, working best to provide about 50-60 pounds lost. Which is what my mother had to (And did) lose.  

It just seems like a lot to go through for 50 pounds.

I'm just stunned that they are still doing this surgery (the band). I know from a Dr's perspective the constant fills make for a fairly lucrative practice but honestly how is this considered an acceptable surgery on anyone with more than 100 pounds to lose?

Revision from Lap-Band to RNY May 2014.  

Revision Consultation: 326   Day of Surgery: 310   Current: 250   Goal: 150

Hislady
on 4/27/14 3:55 am - Vancouver, WA

I couldn't agree with you more! Sitting here right now holding my stomach because it aches from heartburn because of the stupid band I had. It was finally removed a couple of months ago but not soon enough, I'm sure it has screwed up something inside me. I tried to wait till I had insurance coverage to get it removed but will end up having to pay for the removal myself some how because I couldn't take the pain. That also irks me that insurance can refuse to pay because it's a complication of bariatric surgery. Now one takes responsibility for the damage the band causes. I just hope they indeed take it off the market soon but as you say it is a lucrative business for some.

SuzinDallas
on 4/27/14 5:56 am
On April 27, 2014 at 10:55 AM Pacific Time, Hislady wrote:

I couldn't agree with you more! Sitting here right now holding my stomach because it aches from heartburn because of the stupid band I had. It was finally removed a couple of months ago but not soon enough, I'm sure it has screwed up something inside me. I tried to wait till I had insurance coverage to get it removed but will end up having to pay for the removal myself some how because I couldn't take the pain. That also irks me that insurance can refuse to pay because it's a complication of bariatric surgery. Now one takes responsibility for the damage the band causes. I just hope they indeed take it off the market soon but as you say it is a lucrative business for some.

That's what got me the most.  I had documented stomach issues but because I also had a lap-band...insurance wouldn't help me on my previous plan.  My company merged with another one and we adopted their plan-which covered weight loss surgery and weight loss related surgeries so having to choose between the one where I work, and Tricare was actually nice. I got really lucky last year.

I'm also lucky that medication worked to help with my reflux.  I've been switching back and for between the OTC stuff and Nexium for years though.  I have to say it will feel so good to NOT buy that ever again. I just refilled my Nexium the other day and hopefully that will be the last one.

pineview01
on 4/27/14 3:01 pm, edited 4/28/14 5:22 am - Davison, MI

Most of the revisions here are band to _ _ _ _ fill in the blank.  Anyway if you really want to see the stories check out the failed band group.  There are more members than in the Band Grad group.  Many surgeons, centers (like Mayo) and even the Army (at least at some post) have stopped doing them.

I had over 100 to lose and lost 60 (for a week) and was considered a great success.  Than proceeded to have problems from 8 months out.

You hit the nail on the head, the band is a much more lucrative practice.  It only works with intense follow up ($$$).

BAND REMOVED 9-4-12-fought insurance to get sleeve and won! Sleeved 1/22/13! Five years out and trying to get that last 15 pounds back off.

SuzinDallas
on 4/27/14 11:59 pm

Yes I did the best when I worked 3 blocks away from my Dr and could literally run over for a fill on my lunch break.  At the time insurance covered it so it was $15 well spent in my book.  Each fill was done under flouro and I'm sure cost a pretty penny.  

Anyways...there's a Failed Band group here?  Wow.  I went to an actual Lap-Bard forum this weekend and found even more posts all the same as they are here.  So sad.

pineview01
on 4/28/14 5:21 am, edited 4/28/14 5:22 am - Davison, MI

Sadly at least one of the lap-band forums still tears up anybody that has issues.  I guess they want to live in the land of OZ.

Go to groups and put in failed band or band and ask to join.

BAND REMOVED 9-4-12-fought insurance to get sleeve and won! Sleeved 1/22/13! Five years out and trying to get that last 15 pounds back off.

nicoletta84
on 4/28/14 8:46 am

I work in the operating room actually and we remove between 4 to 8 a week alone. So just imagine. It's ultimately a foreign body to begin with.. Most erode in the stomach or twist and bend or port clogs or failed weightloss. It is crazy why they still do them. My doctor does them. But he advices against it. Usually the patient is the one that truly wants it. 

Racewalker48
on 4/28/14 9:20 am
RNY on 02/17/14

I asked my surgeon about what was going on with the band based on what I was reading on this forum and on Thinner Times.com,  and his response was that the complication rate has risen so high that bands are rapidly falling out of favor.  I don't even know if he even does them anymore.  I will ask him the next time I see him though.  It is ironic for me as I originally considered the band about 2 years ago because it was reversible.  I am glad I didn't go that route.

Most Active
Recent Topics