Scar tissue from removed Lap band and want Sleeve

Kimmybert
on 5/12/14 11:41 am - Denton, TX
VSG on 08/25/14 with

I had a Lap Band for 5 1/2 yrs and did great.. lost 120 lbs. It slipped so had to be removed and was not a candidate for any revision at that time. Since then have gained back weight and want the Sleeve. I know the risks are higher and I have some scar tissue from where the band was. I know someone who had a leak with the GS and it was horrible so I just wanted to see if anyone with scar tissue later did a revision and how it went! Thanks!

Hislady
on 5/13/14 5:33 am - Vancouver, WA

Post this on the sleeve forum too there are many over there who have done band to sleeve revisions there.

Kimmybert
on 5/13/14 8:07 am - Denton, TX
VSG on 08/25/14 with

Ok thank you!

pineview01
on 5/13/14 9:57 am - Davison, MI

I had my band removed 9/12 and was sleeved 1/13.  They removed the band due to scare tissue (and other issues.)  At the time they removed it they cleaned-up the scare tissue some.  Our center makes you wait 2-6 months between the two surgeries to heal. This is the recommendation of the ASMBS.   Once healed I was sleeved. They spent another 45 minutes before doing the sleeve cleaning up the rest of the scare tissue and "straightening up" the stomach to ready it for the sleeve. They have had zero leaks by doing this so far.  This is better than the rate for virgin sleeves.  Doing things this way eliminates/reduces the thinned out area were the leaks/strictures occur.  The folks that have reported complications have had the revision in one surgery.

I am 16 months out with my sleeve and am SO happy with it.

BAND REMOVED 9-4-12-fought insurance to get sleeve and won! Sleeved 1/22/13! Five years out and trying to get that last 15 pounds back off.

Kimmybert
on 5/13/14 11:00 am - Denton, TX
VSG on 08/25/14 with

Thank you for that information!! I had my band out about 2 1/2 yrs ago so its been some time! I'm glad to hear that all went well even with all the scar tissue! That makes me feel a little better. I just now "qualify" under my insurance.. which of course I hoped I never would but now starting to find a surgeon I can use! Thanks again- you are inspiring!! :-)

pineview01
on 5/14/14 10:35 am - Davison, MI

Good luck and I hope all goes well.  I had to re "qualify" for insurance to.

BAND REMOVED 9-4-12-fought insurance to get sleeve and won! Sleeved 1/22/13! Five years out and trying to get that last 15 pounds back off.

Most Active
Recent Topics