Aetna- Band to RNY anyone?

inevitablyme
on 5/16/14 6:35 pm - Atlanta, GA

Wondering if anyone with Aetna  has had a revision band to RNY recently? I am considering it and am 1, afraid of going under the knife again, 2, afraid of RNY ( but my sweet tooth and I are in a place of honesty) and 3, afraid I'm going to get super excited and then get disapproved. 

I had Lapband surgery in 2009 the most I Lost was 40lb. I have since gained back all of it plus some stragglers. I'm really hoping I don't have to do 3-6months.

any insight is appreciated

Hislady
on 5/17/14 4:55 am - Vancouver, WA

First you need to contact your insurance company, should be a number on the back of your card, to see if they cover revisions.Second have you looked at the vertical sleeve gastrectomy because it doesn't have th e malabsorbtion that the RNY does and is a less severe surgery. You can't count on RNY to curb your sweet tooth because only about 1/3 of RNYers dump on sugar, the rest can and some do eat sugar with no problem. I wish you luck and you might even do better with some counceling instead of a different surgery. I would however get the band out no matter what!

inevitablyme
on 5/19/14 4:37 pm - Atlanta, GA

Revision surgery is covered and I do believe I meet the criteria for insurance. I initially considered VSG but after going to a WLS seminar where they discussed all of the surgeries, I decided RNY was probably the better option for me. I didn't know what the ratio of people who dumped was though :-/ the fear of eating sugar was a big part of that decision.

i do think no matter what happens with insurance I would want the band out and could definitely benefit from more counseling.

thanks for responding

inevitablyme
on 7/23/14 12:30 pm - Atlanta, GA

I got my insurance approval and have just to have an appointment with the pulmonilogist and then the surgeon and I can sit down and discuss surgery and surgery date.

My primary doctor is VERY much against me having a revision especially to RNY Hastric Bypass so now I'm super nervous  all over again.

Most Active