I'm back

sharlit
on 8/25/14 7:54 pm - Northcote, Australia
VSG on 09/17/14 with

I had WLS in 2005 - a lapband. That was replaced in 2009. And now I'm having it converted into a gastric sleeve in 3 weeks time. I haven't been able to sustain the weight loss and I've had other problems with pain in my shoulder and reflux. I know it's a big step but I'm almost back at my starting weight, I have hip pain and a really big chance of getting diabetes. So, here goes!

pineview01
on 8/26/14 1:01 pm - Davison, MI

If you read the failed band group you will find yourself in the majority.  I was banded in 2009, removed 9/12 and sleeved 2/13.  Love my sleeve.

BAND REMOVED 9-4-12-fought insurance to get sleeve and won! Sleeved 1/22/13! Five years out and trying to get that last 15 pounds back off.

sharlit
on 8/26/14 7:13 pm - Northcote, Australia
VSG on 09/17/14 with

At the time, I was assured that it had really really good results (and yes I would have to be sensible about what I ate which I accepted) but I wasn't ready for the reflux and heartburn and the difficulty of getting into the green zone. I had a new band put in but have still had those problems. I was originally reluctant to go with the sleeve because it's permanent but then I thought - my issues with weight are pretty permanent so why not build in a permanent solution! Three weeks to go and I'm actually excited about it and feel pretty confident that I can handle it given I know how to manage post op lap band eating!

pineview01
on 8/27/14 10:18 am - Davison, MI

My problem with the band was I couldn't eat sensible with it and never did find that "green zone".  Yes, our weight issues are pretty permanent.  I hope the success with yours I had with mine.

BAND REMOVED 9-4-12-fought insurance to get sleeve and won! Sleeved 1/22/13! Five years out and trying to get that last 15 pounds back off.

Virgie Tschirhart
on 8/27/14 7:25 am - Midwest City, OK
RNY on 12/27/17

I had a LB in 2008, it did not work for me and I had acid reflux with a hiatal hernia, lost 17 lbs and gained 14 lbs.  In 2009 I had the Sleeve and my acid reflux is worse and the hernia is bigger, lost 30 lbs and gained 20 lbs, never reached my goal.  I am in the process of getting a RNY.  Just read through the posts here you will see some others that had the same problem and when they revised to the RNY they have no more acid reflux.  Best Wishes to you!

Virgie Tschirhart

Lap Band - 2008, Sleeve - 2009, RYN - 2017

Started Program Weight July 13, 2017 - 194.2

Before Surgery Weight December 27, 2017 - 185.0

Current Weight - February 2018 - 161.0

sharlit
on 8/27/14 7:46 am - Northcote, Australia
VSG on 09/17/14 with

Thank you and all the best with the RNY!

kwashington09
on 8/28/14 5:34 am

If acid reflux is an issue for you there is a good chance that it will get worse with the sleeve. I never had reflux now it is extreme and the only foods that dont cause horrible reflux are the stuff that will make weight loss unsuccessful on the sleeve. Please read more into the sleeve vs. rny. I will be having my revision from the sleeve to the rny on 9/8/14. I was able to lose 100 pounds on the sleeve but regained 65. Best of look to you.

pineview01
on 9/1/14 2:29 pm - Davison, MI

I didn't have acid reflux before the band.  My band caused the acid reflux.  When they removed the band it slowed and wan't having issues when my wait was up.  That is another reason to wait in between.  I have not had problems with reflux since being sleeved.  I did have to take PPi's the first year as a precaution.

sharlit
on 9/1/14 6:26 pm - Northcote, Australia
VSG on 09/17/14 with

I didn't have reflux before the band either. I've also been having shoulder pain similar to the pain you have immediately post surgery. Not sure what that is about but it is not pleasant. 

pineview01
on 9/3/14 12:17 pm - Davison, MI

Nic and others have had the issue.  If you read on the failed band group you can read all about why it is happening.  The band needs to come out and the scare tissue removed.

Most Active
Recent Topics