"What exactly am I?" Went from DS in 2010 to RNY in 2014

Special_KLJ2
on 1/14/15 12:20 pm - Olathe, KS
Revision on 03/12/14

I had a DS 08/2010: SW 266, lowest 170, regained back to 209 with lots of acid reflux.  I then had a revision of my tummy to a RNY pouch (one ounce tummy said the doc, it is the size of a thumb) on 03/2014: SW 209, CW 148 and I am 5'2".  On my first surgery my cc was left at 200 (I believe) but was taken down to 100 with the revision but they are still the "DS intestines".  I am just confused as to what classification I am: ERNY, RNY, DISTAL, something else?  I had done so much research for my first surgery and was anti-RNY for my revision but it has pretty much gotten me to goal and other than malabsorption issues that I am working on, I am okay. My doc is the wonderful Dr. Gary Anthone in Omaha, NE.

Karen L. Johnson    
Ladytazz
on 1/14/15 3:46 pm

You (and I) are special snowflakes known as "hybrids", lol.  I too had a DS in 2002, regained 100 lbs and had all kinds of issues, including severe reflux.  

In 2010 my very large sleeve was revised to a RNY pouch and my 100 cc common channel was lengthened to 200 cc (the exact opposite of you).

In spite of that I still managed to lose the excess weight and then some.  I too still have the DS intestinal configuration but I'm not quite a RNY and not quite a DS.  Like I said, I am a hybrid.  I have to explain it to new doctors but for the most part it isn't a big deal.

To make things easier and avoid long explanations if I tell someone I had WLS and they say something like "Oh, you had a bypass". I just agree rather then explain. 

In the end you can call it whatever you feel comfortable with or just say, like I do, that I had WLS and leave it at that.

BTW, there are a lot more of us out there then you'd realize.  I've met quite a few people with similar revisions.

WLS 10/28/2002 Revision 7/23/2010

High Weight  (2002) 240 Revision Weight (2010) 220 Current Weight 115.

Chilipepper
on 1/15/15 8:58 am, edited 1/15/15 8:59 am

I am a hybrid snowflake also. :)

Started with an Rny, then because of a gastrogastric fistula, had a complete gastrectomy except for repaired pouch from the fistula. Then revised to a true distal with no blind stomach. 

"The first thing I do in the morning is brush my teeth and sharpen my tongue." --- Dorothy Parker  

"You may not like what I say or how I say it, but it may be just exactly what you need to hear." ---Kathryn White

ShebasMom
on 1/15/15 12:58 pm
Revision on 07/05/16

Chilipepper, what is the length of your common channel and are you doing well with that?

Thanks, Donna

Most Active
Recent Topics