I beleive that I need to have a Revision, How do I get started?

keishagreene
on 3/17/15 10:58 am - Clermont, FL

Hello everyone - I had my RNY surgery in 2006.  My weight at the time of surgery was 289.  I had a difficult surgery, when I was brought into recovery, the newly created pouch had a tear, I was then immediately taken in and had three "repair" surgeries... I eventually lost 100 pounds and life was great.  Through this time I had the occasional sickness with my Asthma - however as time ticked on I ended back in same old regimen of using prednisone to control the asthma - its customary that I use anywhere from 10 to 3mg per day - yep, that's no good....I haven't been maintaining the best diet - still eat smaller portions but I can eat ANYTHING without serious issues....LONG STORY SHORT - I have regained all but 10 pounds.....DEPRESSED....I am seriously trying to  eat properly.  These are my issues - I have moved to a new state and I no longer have access to my original physician,   who is going to be the physician to start looking into potentially revising my procedure?  Is there a test to see if I am having an issue with my pouch?  I am needing HELP!

Hislady
on 3/17/15 11:59 am - Vancouver, WA

Well I know there are tests to determine the size and other things about your pouch. I'd say your very first step should be finding out if your insurance will cover a revision. Then find a surgeon who will take you that is in your insurance coverage, then go see him and then get busy.

keishagreene
on 3/19/15 7:33 am - Clermont, FL

I believe that I am okay with the insurance, I am going to try and make an appointment now!!!  Thanks!  I am hoping that I can get back on track really soon....

wahamilton530
on 3/19/15 3:11 am - Calumet City, IL

I had surgery back in 2006 in Maryland (lost 100 lbs) and then moved to Chicago in 2009.  I found a bariatric doctor who would take me after another doc's work and have been following up with him annually ever since.  This year, I noticed that I'm stuck - so to speak.  I mean, I have my winter weight and my summer weight...in the past 12 month, there has been no fluctuation and, in fact, I'm gaining.  Panic is setting in.  In the 9 years since my surgery, I've gained 25 lbs...not much to many, but that's enough to start asking questions about a revision.  I managed to stick to my range of 5-10 lbs up or down for over 8 years...something needs to be done.  So I did some research and have an appointment with the Chicago bariatric doc on 4/1 for the ROSE Procedure.

My advice to you is to find a bariatric doctor in your area that is accepting new patients.  Once you find one, make an appointment, and put that on your agenda for discussion.  Based on the outcome of that discussion, you should move forward with a request for revision.

I hope this helps.

keishagreene
on 3/19/15 7:32 am - Clermont, FL

Alrighty - so I've contacted a couple of physicians and maybe its because I asked specifically for a revision - I was told that they did not perform these services.....So tomorrow I will call and just schedule a new patient appointment....maybe then I'd have an opportunity to at least have an informed conversation....

Best of luck with your new procedure - I'd love to keep in touch, would LOVE to get some additional motivation to get me back on track!!!

I'm on hold to make an appointment with a physician now!!!!!!!

wahamilton530
on 3/19/15 10:48 pm - Calumet City, IL

Good idea and good luck to you as well. 

As for me, I am just going to discuss.  I honestly don't know if my doc even does the procedurebut I want to discuss it with him first to see if he thought I might be an ideal candidate.  

Additionally, I must note that when I had WLS, I completely changed my lifestyle - no junk, no slipping back into bad habits, I went head, heart, and feet first into this new lifestyle.  I hated walking to my car, now I'm running 5Ks.  I exercise, eat right, and totally eliminated all the negatives in my life.  There's no way I could have kept this weight off for 9 years.  I'm gaining weight now because I see I can eat more...It took me until about a 2 years ago to eat a complete 6" sub from Subway...if you get my drift.

Anyway, my point, if I am a candidate for the ROSE Procedure, nothing about my life will change, except I won't be able to eat as much.  I suspect that my weight will go back down to my normal range and I'll be just as happy.  I'm not trying to be "skinny", I just want to maintain the range I had before, between 215-225 lbs.  I was VERY happy there, strong, healthy, and living a great life.  

None of this means anything if you (not you personally) don't change the lifestyle.  Even my mentor gained all her weight back.  She never embraced the lifestyle or diet intake change.  Please keep that in mind...

keishagreene
on 3/19/15 11:26 pm - Clermont, FL

Understood 2000% percent!  In many ways I have definetly left the lifestyle...I am tackling the bad habits - such as grazing each and everyday.....In general thoug, I know that it is imperative to treat your body right!

The whole process has been a blessing.  I knwo that with more accountability I can easily return to a healthier lifestyle...I may only need to get back around people who are like myself....I hadn't logged onto the site in quite some time....when I first had my surgery this was my Facebook - I literally STAYED on the site and got inspired and phych'd up with the trials and tribulations of the members....

I am TRYING - so for this reason I won't fall apart nor beat myself up yet.....

wahamilton530
on 3/19/15 11:46 pm - Calumet City, IL

I did the exact same!!  My frequency only decreased when I felt strong enough to step out on my own....so to speak.

You've got this and good luck!!

lalynn1
on 3/19/15 2:07 pm

Had the ROSE 8 years after original, only thing it made smaller was my stash of money. In fact have gained 15 and I am 10 years out now.

(deactivated member)
on 3/19/15 8:22 am - los angeles, CA

Hello,  I had surgery in 1998, due to health issues I am on predisone and Intravenous steroids sometimes.  With the steroid use I am now hypoglycemic, my weight has gone up, down and is now up.  

Has anyone has a revision after having the DS?

Most Active
Recent Topics