Revision from Sleeve to RNY... Your experience stories are needed!

JuucyOne
on 9/16/15 8:31 am - Chicago, IL
VSG on 02/04/13

So, I had the sleeve a few years ago and it has worked well. My weight has pretty much stayed the same +/- 10 pounds. My doctor originally suggested the bypass (with me being a heavier patient) but I wasn't trying to hear it. Now, still with 100+ pounds to lose, I want to go for the revision to bypass. I initially wanted to revise to DS but my doctor said I would have more issues with it, not sure if that's due to my medical history or the surgery stats. The insurance letter has gone out and now the waiting game.

I'd LOVE to hear your thoughts on revising to the RNY: the good, not so good, and the bad. Would you do it again? Would you choose a different surgery to revise to? I want to hear from you!

Many thanks!!! 

HW: 397 SW: 370 CW: 285

MsBatt
on 9/17/15 8:56 am

My thoughts are that you should have had a full DS to begin with. The DS has the very BEST long-term, maintained weight-loss stats, period, but especially so for those of us with a BMI greater than 50. As for him telling you that you'd have more issues with the DS---bull**** There are patients who have 'issues' with any surgical type, but compliant patients have no more 'issues' with the DS than with any other procedure.

There is not enough money in the world to pay me to have an RNY. You've got a Sleeve, so you already have half of the DS. Keep your pylorus!

Cheddar555
on 9/21/15 1:13 pm - Cedar Hill, TX

Hello,

I had the sleeve in 2011 and originally lost 64 pounds. I was not able to keep the weight off regained all of it and additionally developed a very sever gerd that resulted in a stretched diaphragm and two ulcers. I was approved for the RNY because of the complications and had surgery on Thursday Sept 17th. So far I am doing well. I have no idea how much weight I have lost because I do not keep scales in my home. I am waiting for my appointment on Friday to see what the weight loss is. So far it has been ok. I had to initially get over pain issues but it is so much better now.

Theresa2015
on 9/22/15 6:29 pm

Hi cheddar 555

please let us know your numbers when u finally weigh in. I'm gonna have a revision from vbg to rny and I'm wondering how fast the weight will come off. I wish u luck and a speedy recovery 

Kathysangels
on 10/30/15 8:33 am

I lost 125 lbs on the sleeve - so I am proud of my efforts, but I also had a lot to lose and my wonderful surgeon has arranged for me to have the RNY to finish the process. I have a few more issues to go over but hope to have it done by the end of the year. Since I haven't had it yet, I can't tell you how it will be - but I haven't seen many posts from people who have so it is nice to hear someone else is considering it.

Hugs,

Kathuy

JuucyOne
on 12/9/15 6:38 pm - Chicago, IL
VSG on 02/04/13

Thanks for all of your responses! I'll keep updates on my blog. ?

HW: 397 SW: 370 CW: 285

Most Active
Recent Topics