Endoscopic Gastric Bypass Repair

Alyson M.
on 10/8/15 9:55 pm - Dennis Port, MA

Little bit of background here... I'm 11 years out, had 1 kid pre-op, 2 post-op, all by c-section. Laparoscopic RNY October 5 2004. At my lowest I was 135 which looked disgusting. At my highest (preop) 304. Right now I'm 222. I've been eating right, small portions, protein first including protein shakes, back to basics, exercise etc... but I am not losing weight, I either stay the same or gain. I dump when I eat almost ANYTHING, not just too much sugar or dairy.

SO, finally got to see my surgeon today. He said that from the sound of things, my stoma is enlarged, which is causing both the dumping and the weight gain. He's referred me to his partner to do a stoma/pouch suturing with something called that Apollo technique that is done endoscopically. Basically they do an endoscopy to check out the size of my stoma and pouch, and then use instruments to go down my throat and fix things, instead of laparoscopically. Less recovery time, fixes both problems. I'm hoping insurance covers it.

Here's my question (sorry!) has anyone else had this done? How did it go with insurance etc? How was the recovery postop?? It seems like it will be easier than the initial RNY, less pain, I should be able to go back to work faster. Just looking to see if anyone else can fill me in. TIA!

310/229/132/160 (highest/current/lowest/goal)

shytownkelly
on 10/9/15 1:59 pm

I'm in the process of finding out if I am a good candidate for the Apollo. (having an EGD next week)

There is a thread about a page down from someone who has had the procedure. She seems to have had good success, but hasn't updated in a few weeks.

Good luck and keep us posted!

Marble
on 10/13/15 1:16 pm

I am really interested in that thread as I had the Apollo two weeks ago and would love to share. Where did you find it?

Marble
on 10/14/15 7:36 pm

Thank you.

Marble
on 10/14/15 7:41 pm

I could not get the link to work.

Marble
on 10/13/15 1:14 pm

Hi,

i had the endoscopic revision two weeks ago and have mixed reviews. My daughter had it in July and has done great, having lost 47 pounds already.

about me....I had roux-en-y 17 years ago. That was followed within five years by hernia, gall bladder and two bowell obstruction surgeries. For the last 12 years, I dump all the time and decided I wanted to try to resolve it. I am always hungry but still only eat small to normal meals but then eat an hour later. My pre bypass weight was 295 and pre revision weight was 208. My lowest ever was 185. I dump all the time.

the surgeon, gastro dr really, I saw in Boston did all the tests you outlined above and determined that my stomach had stretched minimally. However, my stoma had stretched considerably and he attributed the hunger to that. he said he had mixed success with curing dumping syndrone but if I ate less frequently, I would probably dump less. We decided to only revise the stoma and leave the pouch alone and my insurance approved it. BC/BS Ma did not approve my daughters.

I thought it would be "walk in the park" as I am a healthy, robust, energetic woman. Not only has it been a difficult recovery, lots of dumping, terrible gas pains, my dr. is totally inaccessible. Knowing my body well, I believe the shakes are causing the dumping, but cannot fathom what to do about it so I am eating minimally. And I have been essentially abandoned by the surgeon for whom I had a lot of respect, but his office is out of control. You MUST discuss the relationship between your dumping and this procedure with your Doc and get assurances that he will walk you through it if the dumping persists. My hunger has greatly abated so that is good and in the two weeks I lost 8 llbs. The verdict is out as to whether I would recommend it if you have dumping syndrone. Definitely, if not.

happy to answer any further questions.

cher22
on 10/13/15 11:29 pm - Oak Park, IL

Thank you for this great post!!

I so appreciate you and sharing your experience !

I will have the Apollo Oct 27!!

It took me a year for approval !

Marble
on 10/14/15 7:37 pm

Where are you having it done?

Harlee J.
on 2/21/16 6:19 pm - Charlotte, NC

I ABSOLUTELY  understand and appreciate your HONESTY in telling what has happened to you. I'm in a similar situation in that my RNY bypass surgeon from 1997 retired 10 yr ago and has no replacement. THe surgeon I found who did my rerouting has the personality of ...well...less than I want to return to for any reason. Now I am an abandoned ship...looking for a new revision surgeon to take me. I am fortunate that I have only regained 40 pounds of the 212 I lost and kept off until the rerouting surgery in 2012. Now it's just a constant battle.

I journal what I eat, I exercise daily but not as vigorously as I once did, but I'm 62 and fairly crippled now. I do still walk 1-2 miles most days with the dog.

I still eat proteins first, no drinking til 2 hours after I eat (by a timer), and truly rarely 'cheat' on foods. I stopped sodas 3 yrs ago, but that wasn't a big deal for me...I only drank one per day. I put my weeks meals in divided trays in the fridge and eat from them...It's sorta boring but I don't care. I'd really rather not have another surgery that fails in 2 yrs...or die. Next, I'm returning back to therapy, just to see if I am sabotaging myself in any ways but i doubt it. I think that last surgeon REVERSED by RNY back to UNDONE. 

The most powerful force I have, is what I say to myself and believe.

The most powerful force I have, is what I say to myself and believe.

Most Active
Recent Topics