Weight Gain

terri783
on 10/23/15 1:01 pm - Pineville, LA

I had my Gastric Bypass November 18, 2008, almost 9 years ago. I lost 110 pounds which was a full success in what I was wanting to lose. In the last 2 years I have gained all but 40 pounds. I am so heartbroken and frustrated! I have been checking into a revision to tighten the stoma and pouch. I have found there are several different procedures that can be done. What is the best as far as everyone is concerned? I have not found a Dr yet and have not checked with insurance to see if it will be covered. It covered my original surgery so hoping it will cover this one.

I have gone back to all of my old habits...I eat carbs, drink diet soda, graze, you name it. I am not making excuses because I have done this to myself. I have to get back on obesityhelp because it was my best friend after surgery. LOL

I do notice I still have days I could eat everything and days I can only eat a few bites. Usually for me it depends on the types of food I am eating. If I eat mostly protein I cannot eat very much. But I don't seem to stay full as long as I used to. Can anyone give me some ideas or a swift kick in the rear and get me going again???

I am going home today and throwing all junk out. My husband will just have to understand. OK my pity part is over! Its good to be back!

buggy
on 10/23/15 3:14 pm

I feel your pain. I am 218 where my lowest was 183 ( granted I had spinal surgery and didnt feel like eating much). Now that I am healing more, I feel that I am struggling. I have to eat 6 times a day due to reactive hypoglycemia. SO I struggle not to make that small meal into a larger one:-( Sweets are a bad crutch that I am having trouble shaking.

One of the best things is to exercise. I really want/need to do this, but it hurts. So I have such negative emotions I have a hard time bringing myself to do more than easy walking:-\

You are not alone *hugs*.

T Hagalicious Rebel
Brown

on 10/23/15 6:24 pm - Brooklyn
VSG on 04/25/14 with

Well I'm not as far out as you & am still a newbie in active weight loss mode but your posts reads as you know what to do. Kick carbs to the corner & go back to a protein forward diet. You get full on protein but not as full as b4? I'm not sure what rny'rs aim for but as a vsg'r we have a saying, which is to undereat your sleeve. I'm guessing you can do the same with a pouch. I don't aim for the full feeling, I aim to be satisfied & often I'd have to eat slower & look for the satisfied clue, not the full feeling.

I'm not sure what rny'rs need as far as protein, vits etc. Since I don't malabsorb I aim for 80g of protein, 80 oz of water, calories between 800 & 1000 & keep carbs under 50, ideally I aim to keep it between 30 & 50 & try to stay closer to 30g, & calories closer to 800. I call it my triple 8's, allthough my plan doesn't call for me to track calories & carbs. I do it anyway, it helps to keep me accountable & make adjustments as needed. I track/log everything in the my fitness pal app.

Try posting in the rny forum, you might get more pointers there. You got the weight off b4 & you can do it again. Don't beat yourself up about it. Regain is common, but at least you're trying to get back on track now. Also look into therapy/support groups to get to the root of your eating, so maybe you'll have more ways to deal with life stresses. So moving forward you won't use food as an emotional crutch. Good luck to you & if you need a revision best of luck to you.

No one surgery is better than the other, what works for one may not work for another. T-Rebel

https://fivedaymeattest.com/

terri783
on 10/23/15 6:49 pm - Pineville, LA

Thank you for your encouragement! It sounds like our surgeries are very close. I just have to take a lot of vitamins and stay away from sugar. Makes me sick. It helps so much to have people understand. ?

Laura in Texas
on 10/24/15 5:37 am

You have to love yourself and treat yourself kindly, which means taking care of yourself. Forgive yourself and start fresh.

I do hope you stick around here for support. And if there is a local support group near you, go to those meetings, too.

You can do this!!

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

H.A.L.A B.
on 10/25/15 4:06 pm

If you have the surgery in 2008 then it is close to 7 years..not 9.

First - you probably would need to see a bariatric surgeon, and have a scope to find out if you even need a revision.

If I eat carby food - it feels like I can eat and eat... But if I eat dense proteins with some fat plus a few bites of veggies - my restriction is there... Plus 3-4 days of low carbs and moderate fat (natural food not processed junk like protein bars) and my hunger is much less... I am 7 years post op and as long as eat correctly - I may even forget to eat.

But grains, even so called healthy grains or fruits, sugars, etc and my hunger is really bad. And it feels like I NEED to eat every hours.

My trigger foods - like bread can cause all sorts of cravings in 2-3 days after I had it. Best for me was to identify that and stop completely.

Same with most diet soda.. If I drink some (more than I few sips) I get so hungry...

It is not easy... But it can be done... Unless you can control what goes into your mouth- no surgery can help you... Sadly..that is most of us who had the RNY really discovered in years of maintenance

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

terri783
on 10/26/15 10:59 am - Pineville, LA

Oh my goodness! How did I get 9 out of that! WOW! I started this weekend byt throwing all trigger foods out of the house, I am on several Bariatric FB sites so I see healthy recipes to try and avoid as many cravings as possible. Yesterday and today have gone well so far.

capodo
on 11/14/15 6:04 pm - Chicago, IL
My heart goes out to you my friend.

I had an Open RnY Promixal Plus in 2001. By 2003 I'd lost 186 lbs. I've now gained about 70 lbs back and am thoroughly disgusted with myself.

And yes, as you so wonderfully and honestly confessed, I returned to my bad habits too. But I think some of my issue is more than just these bad habits. I was diagnosed with Hashimoto's in 2014. I've undergone testing since for a myriad of things (Lupus, RA, Sleep Apnea for examples) none of which I have thankfully. The latest barrage of testing is for Celiac, or gluten intolerance at the least. Since my GBP, I have battled horrible malnutrition. Vitamin D often tanks. Currently my iron/iron stores are extremely low.

I just had an Endoscopic Gatro-Jejunostomy Revision Procedure (some know it as ROSE - others call it the Apollo) on 11/11/15. Not a lot of pain, no real discomfort in the pouch area. Throat and esophagus were sore first 2 days. Three days out now and the hunger pangs are HORRID. The nurse and a dietitian (mine wasn't available when I called on Friday) say for me to get in the protein (60g - 80g a day). I've done over 70 today and I'm still hungry. I can't eat much - about 1/2 a can of a cream-based soup (mixed with some 1% milk). And I confess that I've been adding in mashed potato flakes just to thicken it up. But it's like my pouch just isn't getting sustenance with the liquid.

I'm going to call my dietitian on Monday and see if she's ok with me taking and doing meat pureed. I actually did this right after my GBP and it helped.

One final thing. I love sweets (always been a weakness!), but even I am tired of all the sweet options with my "liquid" diet right now. SF jello, SF pudding, light yogurt. And the protein powders. I've just ordered online from Unjury some unflavored protein and chicken-flavored protein. Hoping I can mix these into the soups, etc. I do one protein mix a day (25g, plus 1% milk = 33 grams) and that's all I can tolerate.

I wish you all the best in your continued journey!

"Sam.  Fate rarely calls upon us at a moment of our choosing."  --Optimus Prime, Transfomers2

"The Lord is close to the broken-hearted.  He rescues those who are crushed in spirit."  --Psalm 34:18a

MsBatt
on 11/15/15 6:44 pm

Are you taking a 'dry' or water-miscible form of D? With your RNY, you malabsorb fat, and therefore the fat-soluble vitamins A, D, E, and K. I recommend the Bio-Tech D50, available on Amazon or from Vitalady.

Cream soups are pretty carb-heavy, and may be making your hunger worse. Especially if you're also adding potato flakes.

Most Active
Recent Topics