Never thought I would be here.

drankin
on 1/26/16 5:16 pm

I have had my Lap Band for 8 years. It worked for the most part but it has been trouble for me since almost day one. I am tired of having bad heartburn, swelling around the port, not being able to eat anything one day and everything the next. In the last year I have gained 50 pounds back and I am done with the band. I have called my surgeon and asked to start the process of taking the band out and getting a revision to another bariatric surgery.The nurse told me that he has done a LOT of revisions and she agreed that I have had a tough go of it over the years. I wish I knew what this process will look like. There are a couple of things. My surgeon is out on medical leave until at least mid April. They told me that they would give me a referral elsewhere is that is what I wanted. I feel that I would probably have the best shot getting insurance approval if I wait for him to return since I have been with them from the beginning. But I am just so unsure of this process that I don't actually  know. If I get approval to remove the band will they automatically approve a revision? Is there additional or different requirements for a revision versus  an initial surgery? My BMI is back up to 31.9, it is up from the 25 I was at for most of the years after Lap Band surgery. Is 31.9 enough for insurance approval. I know with absolute certainty that when the Lap Band is removed I will regain all the weight. It scares me but I have had issues with food for years, which is the reason I chose surgery in the first place. Any suggestions,advice, anything at all......

Thanks so much,

Dottie 

L. 68
on 1/26/16 6:32 pm

Hi Dottie,

No it is not the same revision and first time.  Revision is approved if there is history that you did well on your band which you stated you did but because of complication (heart burn, slip leak gerd ect} they will pay for something else.  If you didnt lose any weight they would most likely not approve because they will feel like they are wasting money if your not using...  so go for it and when doc sends in pre determination letter he/she will be asking for both to be done at the same time (removal of band and whatever else surgery you are revising to.. with that said if all your test show nothing is wrong (erosion of the band hernia esophogus rupture ect) than you will not have to stay without the band at all.

Good luck.

drankin
on 1/27/16 6:26 am

Thank you R. Blain, that does clarify some things. I appreciate you taking the time to explain. It sounds like, from what I have researched and asked, that revision is at lest a little easier road to travel than the initial surgery. Thanks so much. D. 

L. 68
on 1/27/16 5:29 pm

Yes Drankin, it is i showed up at one of the forums that we had to attend at initial surgery and my doctor was like why are you here.  I just simply replied "i like to hear you speak"  lolol he blushed.  

With that said i only had to do the Upper Gi and barium swallow xrays to see what shape my band is in in order to determine whether he does in one step or 2  and one nutritional visit so i know what the post op protocol is.  Thats it...

rblain

drankin
on 2/1/16 3:29 pm

Hi rblain, I pray that is all that is in store for me also. I am encouraged!.

Dottie

Baby1234
on 1/27/16 1:10 am

I had a revision to bypass .No regrets

drankin
on 1/27/16 6:27 am

I appreciate your reply. The bypass is what I am considering also. I am glad it has been a positive experience for you. D. 

drankin
on 2/1/16 3:33 pm

That encourages me. Thanks!

Hislady
on 1/27/16 10:55 pm - Vancouver, WA

Your first step should be to call your insurance company at the number on the back of your card. Every policy is different depending on what the business has agreed to pay for. Some insurance companies will only cover removal of a band and others will cover removal and revision. They can also tell you what if any requirements there are for revision such as if you need to have a certain BMI, etc. Many, many of us who got our bands early on have had a horrible time with them so you are hardly alone. Thousands of us have had to get our bands removed or revise to another surgery, the band is the least effective weight loss surgery and most surgeons will no longer even put them in. Best of luck to you and your insurance company should be able to answer most of your questions.

drankin
on 2/1/16 3:33 pm

HIslady, thank you for the reply. My Dr's office is looking into my insurance for me. I have conversed with her several times today. Do you think since they are doing it I need to call my insurance company as well?

Dottie

Most Active