Revision from band to RNY what can I expect?

mylisa522
on 4/3/16 6:10 pm
Revision on 05/04/16
I was banded October 2007 and since have struggled with vomitting. I've finally been approved to have it removed and to get RNY. What can I expect? Thanks.
Hislady
on 4/4/16 4:31 pm - Vancouver, WA

Congrats on the revision I haven't had a revision but did have a band for 7 yrs and can tell you life will be so much better once it is gone. The RNY is of course a bigger more involved surgery so will involve a bit more pain probably and it will take longer to feel back to normal. Oh and you will actually lose weight with this surgery. Best of luck to you!

littlerocknettie
on 4/5/16 5:55 am
Revision on 12/23/15

I had revision from Vertical Banded Gastroplasty (old stomach stapling) that was done in 1996 to RNY on 12/23/15.  Best decision I ever made...my life is so much better.  The vomiting and constant GERD are gone.  You do lose slower the second time around...I started out at 273 and now I am down to 219.  So you lose weight, just not as fast.  The worst part was the pain from removing the star tissue from the first surgery (it was an open surgery and this one was laproscopic).

Marie Campbell

Peru Indiana

tammym
on 4/5/16 9:51 pm - Portland, OR
Revision on 01/16/12

I had band in 2001. They weren't adjustable back then. I only lost 50lbs, and regained it after a few years. Finally was able to have revision to RNY in 2012 and lost enough weight over the first 6 months to start exercising. Prior to Revision I had cobmorbs that prevented exercise, including asthma and joint issues. I started running and made it to goal by the end of 2012. I kept running and ran a full marathon at the end of 2013. I stopped running after that and lost 10 more pounds (muscle.) I get on the scale every day to make sure I stay at goal. 

Revision can be scary but know that you are doing the best thing for your health to lengthen your life! One thing to be prepared for is the possibility that the damage may have already been done. All of your comorbs may not go away. My asthma and joint problems went away, but my diabetes, which I really expected to go away, actually got worse. I'm very disappointed about this. I've had to have eye surgery twice, and I have nerve damage that continues to get worse and more painful. But this is exactly why you need to take action to improve your health now. 

Hilarious
on 4/7/16 4:36 pm - Coram, NY

Hi, congrats to you - you will feel so much better. I was banded in March 2007 and loved it. I found out in January 2015 that my band slipped and had to be removed - I couldn't bear the thought of putting that weight back on (I maintained an 80 pound weight loss). In October 2015 I had surgery to remove the band and revise to RNY. Surgery wasn't bad and spent the night in the hospital. Was out and about 3 days after surgery and felt pretty good.

i too threw up a lot with the band and have been on acid reducing medicine for reflux from the band. I have not thrown up once since the revision surgery and have not had reflux since. It's so different to be able to eat whatever texture you want and not get sick - so freeing! Remember, I loved the band, but this really does feel better.

Weight loss is slow but so exciting to see the scale consistently go down. I've lost 50 pounds in 5 months.

i wish you much success on your journey!

Banded 3/07 -HW 350+, Height 5'3" SW 338, lost 100 pounds, maintained 80 pound loss

Revision to RNY due to band slip 10/29/15 - SW 260, GW 140, CW 153

Kris G.
on 4/9/16 10:32 pm

I had a revision from band to RNY I did not have any pain that was related to that the only problem I had was an extremely sore throat for over a week.  If it wasn't for that I would not even know I had surgery....well that and the drain but that didn't hurt until they pulled it out! Best of luck to you!

mylisa522
on 5/8/16 2:43 pm
Revision on 05/04/16
Thank you, all of you, for your help. Surgery was May 4th and things are going well. The surgeon told me my band had been placed incorrectly, my port incorrectly and the band had attached to my liver. It added time to the surgery to remove it safely. I'm slightly dismayed from this because for 8 of the 9 years I've had my band I've had pain, vomitting, issues. I've had test after test and this had been going on inside of me. Ugh.

I shouldn't have gone off like that. Thank you all for your help.

Only as high as we reach can we grow, Only as far as we seek can we go,
Only as deep as we look can we see, Only as much as we dream can we be!

Most Active
Recent Topics