Reflux and revision question

Barbsleeved
on 1/30/17 11:38 am, edited 1/30/17 11:40 am
VSG on 08/22/14

I have suffered from minor reflux with regurgitation almost my entire adult life. When I'd decided to have WLS, I had decided to go with the sleeve because I liked the idea of no malabsorption and rerouting things. I figured I'd lived with the minor reflux this long, I could live with it after. My husband, who at the time had been successfully post RNY 8 years, was trying to talk me into the RNY because he loved his results with minimal complications. 

From the start, the reflux was an issue and got worse.  I was regurgitating everything I was was drinking, and kept on full liquids for 6 weeks post op. I was kept on Omezerpole (SP?) for a solid year, and since have been on several others to try to control it. I've had 2 upper endoscopy's, and surprisingly they found nothing wrong. No erosion, hernias, ulcers, nothing. They are just chalking it up to the surgery itself for the increase in the severity of the reflux. As of late, it's almost becoming unbearable and getting in the way of my quality of life. 

Has anyone had a revision without there being any evidence of physical damage to the esophagus and had it approved by insurance? I'm also at a steady weight of 145 for well over a year, so I really wouldn't need to lose any further weight, although I certainly could and still be within the healthy range. 

I know hindsight is 20/20, and of course now I'm kicking myself about going with the sleeve as opposed to the RNY. I also wish my surgeon would have warned me about how it more likely would have gotten worse with the surgery. Other than the obvious, I am still thrilled with my sleeve and couldn't be happier with the results I've had ;)

BE STRONGER THAN YOUR EXCUSES. 

GmaDiana
on 1/30/17 12:38 pm

Did you have a hiatal hernia repair too?I had the sleeve  and Hiatal hernia repair in 2011.2015 started having issues .went to ENT for dry hacking cough and hoarseness.It was acid reflux .I went back to my Weight loss Dr and he did an Endoscope and Upper GI.i did have damage but my Hiatal hernia failed too and stomach was pushing upwards to the esophagus.I had my revision Nov.2016 no more issues.I wish I would have had Bypass years ago too.

Barbsleeved
on 1/30/17 1:37 pm
VSG on 08/22/14
On January 30, 2017 at 8:38 PM Pacific Time, GmaDiana wrote:

Did you have a hiatal hernia repair too?I had the sleeve  and Hiatal hernia repair in 2011.2015 started having issues .went to ENT for dry hacking cough and hoarseness.It was acid reflux .I went back to my Weight loss Dr and he did an Endoscope and Upper GI.i did have damage but my Hiatal hernia failed too and stomach was pushing upwards to the esophagus.I had my revision Nov.2016 no more issues.I wish I would have had Bypass years ago too.

Nope. No hiatal hernia repair. And I don't have one now. I was actually surprised I didn't. 

BE STRONGER THAN YOUR EXCUSES. 

GmaDiana
on 1/30/17 2:29 pm

Yes they had to repair the Hiatal hernia again.

peachpie
on 1/31/17 6:57 am - Philadelphia, PA
RNY on 04/28/15

maybe try posting this to the RNY board. I can think of at least two people on there who were sleeve to RNY revision b/c of reflux. 

5'6.5" High weight:337 Lowest weight:193/31 BMI: Goal: 195-205/31-32 BMI

Travelher
on 2/1/17 7:26 am
Revision on 10/04/16
On January 30, 2017 at 7:38 PM Pacific Time, Barbsleeved wrote:

I have suffered from minor reflux with regurgitation almost my entire adult life. When I'd decided to have WLS, I had decided to go with the sleeve because I liked the idea of no malabsorption and rerouting things. I figured I'd lived with the minor reflux this long, I could live with it after. My husband, who at the time had been successfully post RNY 8 years, was trying to talk me into the RNY because he loved his results with minimal complications. 

From the start, the reflux was an issue and got worse.  I was regurgitating everything I was was drinking, and kept on full liquids for 6 weeks post op. I was kept on Omezerpole (SP?) for a solid year, and since have been on several others to try to control it. I've had 2 upper endoscopy's, and surprisingly they found nothing wrong. No erosion, hernias, ulcers, nothing. They are just chalking it up to the surgery itself for the increase in the severity of the reflux. As of late, it's almost becoming unbearable and getting in the way of my quality of life. 

Has anyone had a revision without there being any evidence of physical damage to the esophagus and had it approved by insurance? I'm also at a steady weight of 145 for well over a year, so I really wouldn't need to lose any further weight, although I certainly could and still be within the healthy range. 

I know hindsight is 20/20, and of course now I'm kicking myself about going with the sleeve as opposed to the RNY. I also wish my surgeon would have warned me about how it more likely would have gotten worse with the surgery. Other than the obvious, I am still thrilled with my sleeve and couldn't be happier with the results I've had ;)

sorry you are going through this.  good luck, I hope a revision is an option for you. 

Band-RNY revision age 50 5'4" HW 260 SW: 244 (bf healthy range 23-35%) bf 23.7% (at 137lbs) cw range 135-138.lbl with butt lift and mastoplexy March 23, 2018...2.5lbs removed.

Pre-op-16lbs (size 18/20...244) M1-16lbs (size 18...228) M2-15.6lbs (size 16/18...212.4) M3-10lbs (size 16..202.4) M4-11.4lbs (size 14...191) M5-10.8lbs (size 12...180.2) M6-8.4 (size 8/10...171.8) M7-6.4 (size 8...165.4 lbs) M8-11.6 (size 6...153.8) M9-5.6 (size 4/6...148.2) M10-5.8 (size 4....142.4) M11-4 (size 2/4...138.4) Surgiversary -1 (size 2/4...137.4) M13-2.6 (size 2/4...134.8) M14 (size 2/4...134.8) M15 (size 2...135) M16 (size 2...131.4) M17 (size 2...135) M18 (size 2...135) M19 (size 2...138) M20 (size 2...135) M21 (size 2...138)

HippieDreads
on 2/1/17 4:46 pm

I had sleeve done on May 13, 2013 and I've had acid reflux since. In the past year I've gone from taking 40 mg prilosec to 80 AND tums and still not doing well. I am throwing up blood. I go to my PCP Friday to get referral for a GI doc. I was weighed at the doctor today and I'm 202. I qualify for a revision surgery but I know that I could lose the weight without a revision HOWEVER That won't solve my issue with the acid SO I'm going to start going every month to get weighed so that I can have revision after my six months of weigh in's. Ugh I came on here on the off chance someone would have something like this posted and the first post I see is this one. I don't really want to have another weight loss surgery but I can't live like this any more. I'm sick all the time and vomiting several days a week. I just can't do it. I'm risking dehydration and malnutrition.

racemomss
on 4/4/17 9:42 am - TX
VSG on 08/29/12

I had the VSG Aug 2012. I lost 103 pounds and suffered from reflux all along. It has gotten bad that I have all the issues about 5 nights a week. I had a hysterectomy in Feb and the surgeon suggested I do a upper GI which I found out yesterday needs surgery and also a hyiatal hernia. He recommends I do a bypass because I have now put back on 60 pounds :(. I am not happy. But if cant keep living with this. Apparently it is bad to let it go. I got down to 214 pounds. I hope you find relief. I know its not fun to do this twice. I am with you.. I start the weigh ins myself. now. EGD scheduled Wednesday next week. Good Luck!

jennhales
on 2/18/17 11:05 am - lehi, UT

So a revision to gastric bypass would stop acid reflux problems?

I am 11 years out with lapband (Dr fixed H hernia) and my acid reflux is horrible so I was considering the sleeve. It looks like the sleeve is not the best option for me with the reflux.

jen

Most Active
Recent Topics