11 years out and seeing surgeon, am I too "lightweight" for revision?

ShandrewsCA
on 2/22/17 9:07 am - Coeur D Alene, ID

Here is what my nutrition looked like yesterday, along with 8 glasses of water (FYI my daily goal is actually set at 1,200 by default, the 1,899 shown below is because MFP adds in the calories burned during exercise):

H.A.L.A B.
on 2/22/17 9:35 am

I personally can't eat grains and not gain weight. I add grains when I want to gain some weight. Honestly. I recently added more fruits because i lost too much. 

high fiber cereal - any cereal -I know I would gain weight - the wrong type of weight and I would feel like i am starving while limiting calories.

For me to lose weight - I need to keep my carbs to 30-40 per day, and they only can come from  non-starchy veggies, and nuts.  

When I was trying to lose my regain - I kept calories at 1000 and made sure I eat real food...  like meat and veggies, eggs....

Nutritionist often tell people that complex carbs and grains are OK.  That fruits are OK. And some of us, formerly MO people  can eat that.  

Some - but not all.  From my experience -  people who's metabolism was damaged - can't eat those foods and lose weight. I can eat some of them to maintain. but for me to lose weight - even now - I nee to avoid that. Or any other products taht has sugar added (like cold cuts, mayo, ketchup, processed foods with sugar added)

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

ShandrewsCA
on 2/22/17 9:58 am - Coeur D Alene, ID

I love fruit but it does not love me.  I have to avoid all forms of sugar because I dump like crazy on them, even after 11 years! White flour breads, potatoes, and white rice make me feel sick still (not complaining about that!). I do well with the sprouted grain breads, like Dave's Killer Bread, but will only eat 1 piece. I have a real problem with getting fiber in and being constipated.

I don't know, I just feel like I am eating the way I have always in the past to lose any weight I may have gained, but now the weight is creeping back up and I can't get it back down anymore. It doesn't help that I am 43 now, and my mother had a massive stroke at 45 that left her a quadriplegic so the fear is so real. I'm hoping Dr. Zorn will have some answers for me.

Thanks again everyone :)

RhondaJS
on 3/16/17 8:18 am

Looks like you're doing a great job! I know my body gains weight just looking at carbs, whether they are complex or simple. Have you tried a low carb diet where you get in less than 50 gm a day? Look into a ketogenic diet or even atkins. Good luck!

CerealKiller Kat71
on 2/23/17 6:43 am
RNY on 12/31/13

I am only 3 years out but I have over 1200 days logged in MFP and actually weigh and measure everything -- including all my supplements.  I am telling you this because I am sure of my numbers.  I also weigh myself every day.  Yes, I am a type A personality.

I went from 347 to maintaining at 128 to 135.  BMI of 58 to 21/22.  I am 5'5".  I officially "exercise" 4 days a week.  

I gain on any thing over 951 calories.  It's a slow gain, but I begin to gain.  At 1100 to 1200, I gain slightly quicker -- like half a pound a week. To lose weight at any speed, I must go below 700 calories.  I lose very slowly from 750 to 850.  

My maintenance is 851 to 950.  If I eat "high fiber cereals" or any sort of carb like that I am ravenous.  My best way to maintain satiety at these low numbers is by mainly eating meat.  Dense protein keeps me from feeling ravenous. 

I used to bemoan how unfair it is that my metabolic rate is so low -- but, I have come to the conclusion that I have two options.  I can stay within the parameters that work to keep me at the weight I am now, or choose to eat more and maintain at a higher weight than I am now.  Neither is necessarily wrong -- you just have to find what works best for you and makes you happiest.

It's not my business, but it doesn't sound to me like you have any mechanical failure in your surgery.  I would be leery of any surgeon who would take such a risk for such a small amount of weight.  Your best interests should be his or her primary focus.

"What you eat in private, you wear in public." --- Kat

ShandrewsCA
on 2/23/17 8:58 am - Coeur D Alene, ID

LOL, I have to say being told to eat less is exactly what everyone kept telling me before I had my GBS in 2005, "Just eat less, you'll lose the weight!" What I'm trying to say is in the last 2 years I CAN'T eat less I'm too hungry and that's why the weight is creeping back up on me. I know what the problem is, I just don't know how to fix it anymore because something has changed 11 years after my surgery, and I need to figure out what that is. I'm sure some think I'm being dramatic but I am over 40 lbs heavier from my lowest weight after GBS and it's scaring the crap out of me.

My appt is next Thursday, I will keep you posted :)

ladygodiva1228
on 2/23/17 9:47 am - Putnam, CT
Revision on 02/04/15
On February 23, 2017 at 4:58 PM Pacific Time, ShandrewsCA wrote:

LOL, I have to say being told to eat less is exactly what everyone kept telling me before I had my GBS in 2005, "Just eat less, you'll lose the weight!" What I'm trying to say is in the last 2 years I CAN'T eat less I'm too hungry and that's why the weight is creeping back up on me. I know what the problem is, I just don't know how to fix it anymore because something has changed 11 years after my surgery, and I need to figure out what that is. I'm sure some think I'm being dramatic but I am over 40 lbs heavier from my lowest weight after GBS and it's scaring the crap out of me.

My appt is next Thursday, I will keep you posted :)

If eating less makes you too hungry then you are not eating the right stuff to being with.  

I would bet that if you ate more dense proteins instead of the high fiber cereals and veggies you would feel full and satisfied. 

If you suffer from constipation from the high protein then take miralax or something similar instead of the high fiber cereals and bread.  Carbs will make you hungry even healthy carbs.

Dr. Sanchez Lapband 9/12/2003
hw305/revision w280/cw197/gw150

Revision from Lap Band to Bypass on 2/4/2015 by Dr. Pohl

Gwen M.
on 2/23/17 12:17 pm
VSG on 03/13/14

I also wonder what you're eating - can you give us a sample menu from 1-2 days of normal eating?  

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

ShandrewsCA
on 2/23/17 7:07 pm - Coeur D Alene, ID

Here is what I ate today. In the past I always counted net carbs (total carbs - fiber), so I would say my carb intake today was 45g. Having 70-100g of protein is pretty normal too, because I eat lots of meat and eggs. I have always tried to eat plenty of healthy fats for satiety (not working anymore though). Feedback would be appreciated!

Gwen M.
on 2/23/17 8:01 pm
VSG on 03/13/14

Okay, this was useful to see. I would recommend changing your proteins up so that you're getting more protein per meal. The only meal giving you more than 20 is lunch and I'd work on getting 20-30 per meal. To do that, cut the carbs like the cereal and the bar - those won't fill you up the way fats and proteins will. 

Are you drinking with meals?

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

Most Active
Recent Topics