New Meds

racemomss
on 9/18/17 12:18 pm - TX
VSG on 08/29/12

Hi everyone! As many of you know I am going through major depression and a mental beatdown of my life. I went to my primary doctor today. He ordered labs to check all levels for vitamin deficiency and gave me a b12 shot. He also added Wellbutrin SI to my Lexapro meds. What has others experienced on this? When can I start back taking actual pills? I am 3.5 weeks out from surgery. I can't shake the guilt, shame, disappointment in myself, depression, anxiety I am dealing with. I want to sleep all the time and then not at bedtime. I feel guilty when I nap and sleep in. I am sad my kids see me going through this.

woodsk
on 9/18/17 3:38 pm
Revision on 12/22/17

As someone who is Bi-Polar, I would suggest you see a psychologist if your issues have advanced to the point you are describing.

ljbarbara
on 9/18/17 4:03 pm

I'm so sorry you are going through such a difficult time. Major depression isn't anything you should feel guilty about. You have absolutely no control over the chemical imbalance in your body. You are doing everything right in trying to take care of yourself and help yourself. You are seeing your doctor, taking your medications and you are aware of your feelings.

I am on Welbutrin and it's helped me a lot. I don't have any side effects and am able to tolerate them well. Also, I was able to start taking actual pills while still in the hospital. I had no issues at all. Ask your surgeon when he will allow you to take whole pills again. IMHO, you should be there now.

I don't recall if you are seeing a therapist or not. If you are, it would help if she/he would explain what you are going through, if you have a diagnosis and what your treatment goals are. If you are not in therapy, please go. It's important to have that support. Your primary care doc can't give you the extra time and support you need. He can prescribe medications, but are they the ones you need for your particular type of depression?

As you know, some medications can cause you to be sleepy, but depression in itself can cause it too.

Finding your right 'drug coctail' isn't always easy, but it's important to stick with it and keep trying to get it right. I've been through major depression, it's not fun. It got better for me.

I hope you are feeling better soon. I'll keep you in my prayers.

Here's a hug for you!

Original surgery: VSG Feb. 2009

REVISED TO RNY FEBRUARY 2016

Height: 5'7"

Start weight: 252. Current weight: 120

racemomss
on 9/19/17 7:35 am - TX
VSG on 08/29/12

Thank you for such a sweet response. I am currently seeing a bariatric counselor in addition to my regular counselor. I feel like I am humpty dumpty and trying to put myself back together. This is not me at all. I am usually the chipper happy go lucky one. I suffer from Depression and Anxiety but had it together before surgery. The only thing is that I didn't want the surgery to begin with. So I don't know I am refusing to accept it. I am doing good physically other than the sleepy, guilt, and depressed me. I am hoping as I get closer to the 6 week mark it works itself out. I am waiting on my labs to see if the vitamins are missing. Please do keep me in your prayers. I need them!

Thank you for the hug too!

ljbarbara
on 9/20/17 4:57 pm

I remember that feeling thinking "this is not me at all". It's a hard one to deal with, especially when you don't know how to get back to who you are.

For me, I didn't get back to who I thought I was, but got to a place where I'm a new, better me.

It was a lot of work, but I had good support and people who cared. I still feel like I'm a work in progress, but I'm so much happier and content now.

I'm sure that once you find the right 'drug ****tail' and get your vitamins and any other physical health issues worked out, it will be much easier for you to deal with your depression/anxiety.

I'm happy you are seeing counselors to help you. They are such an important component of your health care team.

Again, I'm so sorry you are having to go through all this. You are doing all the right things to help yourself, please don't forget that. I know it's really hard...hang in there!

Barbara

racemomss
on 9/22/17 1:59 pm - TX
VSG on 08/29/12

Thank you for the encouragement. It is so hard to not sleep the day away. I am hoping to be better every day. People just don't understand unless they have done this. Have you had any set backs?

ljbarbara
on 9/23/17 2:14 pm

With proper treatment and the right 'drug ****tail', any set backs or off days happen further and further apart. It's really important though to have the proper diagnosis in order to treat it effectively.

You're right about people not understanding. They see a beautiful day outside or have a great movie they want to see or a concert to go to and they just don't get why you won't get up and go with them. I do remember those times and what they felt like.

One of the things that helped my sleepiness was taking Bupropion, which was a stimulant for me in addition to being an antidepressant.

Hang in there. I know you are doing everything you can. Your efforts will payoff!

racemomss
on 9/23/17 3:25 pm - TX
VSG on 08/29/12

Is the stimulant you took the generic for Wellbutrin? Thank you for the support. It's hard to get in a room full of people and engage sometimes. I'm forcing myself but I know I look sad.

ljbarbara
on 9/23/17 4:55 pm

Yes, it is the generic for Welbutrin. It's an antidepressant that has a stimulating effect on me. It really helped to keep me awake.

Hugs to you!

racemomss
on 9/24/17 7:20 pm - TX
VSG on 08/29/12

Perfect! I was just prescribed that but was concerned to add an additional to my Lexapro. Thank you so much!

Most Active
Recent Topics