Who are the best surgeons in Mexico for revision (RNY to DS?)

johns-wife
on 1/17/18 11:58 am

Also, what is the typical recovery time and cost?

rocky513
on 1/17/18 4:19 pm - WI

RNY to DS is a very complicated surgery. There are very few qualified surgeons in the USA that will tackle that one. I have never heard of a surgeon that does that revision in Mexico.

I have heard of shoddy surgeons telling you that they are doing an RNY to DS revision, when in fact they are revising to a distal RNY and charging you for a more complicated DS revision. Distal RNY is not much different that your original RNY. The only difference is they bypass more of the intestines so your malabsorption is more severe. Many people become very vitamin deficient after distal RNY. Yearly labs and vitamin compliance become even more important. DS also requires vigilance with vitamins and labs. Either surgery can be eaten around and you can regain if you are not compliant with food choices.

Are you revising due to mechanical failure of your RNY?

I would do a ton of research and proceed with caution.

HW 270 SW 236 GW 160 CW 145 (15 pounds below goal!)

VBG Aug. 7, 1986, Revised to RNY Nov. 18, 2010

hollykim
on 1/20/18 8:58 am - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On January 17, 2018 at 7:58 PM Pacific Time, johns-wife wrote:

Also, what is the typical recovery time and cost?

the only group I recommend is Mexicali Bariatrics.

PinkCake
on 1/21/18 3:23 pm

After much research and investigation and due to the complexity of this surgery I chose to stay in the US and am having my Rny to DS revision surgery on Feb 5th with Dr. Steven Simper from Rocky Mountain Bariatrics in SLC.

The surgeon basically has to "put you back to pre wls" and then perfom the DS it is extremely complicated. My advise is to do your research carefully and choose a surgeon you feel comfortable with and have complete confidence in no matter where you choose to have your surgery.

Angiebaby73
on 3/11/18 12:24 am

This is exactly the type of revision. I am seeking, and the same location. If you find more info please share. So far I am checking out beliteweight (have spoken to them on the phone and through plenty of emails). I was told by them, because this is a difficult surgery it would only be done by the lead surgeon Dr. Villarreal. I am gonna check out mexicali bariatric next. Keep me posted if u find more info.

Angiebaby73
on 3/11/18 12:24 am
Most Active
Recent Topics