Baseline bone scan...Those of you who are years post op...please respond

cabin111
on 3/23/11 4:02 pm

When I had my surgery my surgeon suggested a baseline bone scan...Since RNY is a malabsorptive surgery.  My PCP thought I didn't need one (since I'm a man)...The things I had to teach my PCP over the years.  I really would only like to hear from those of you who are years out with DS or RNY.  Did you have a bone scan pre op and have you had one or more post op and how does it look?  Just worried how my bones will hold up over the years...And yes I take my calcium ect...
I'm cross posting this on different forums...Thanks.

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 3/23/11 10:11 pm - OH
I will be 4 years out in August and did not have one pre-op (my surgeon never mentioned it and I had not read about it here), but I just had one last month (because ONE lab came back and said my calcium was low while the labs done just a couple of months before -- and  one done immediately after the low one -- came back fine) and it came back just fine.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

hockeymom8016
on 3/23/11 10:22 pm - NJ
I was 50 when I had my surgery.  My gyn had me get one last year and everything was fine. I did not have one pre-op.

Carla M.
on 3/23/11 11:02 pm
RNY on 02/21/11 with
I had one pre-op, only because I've had a hysterectomy and can't take hormones. They just wanted to make sure that everything would be good before and after (since it's a malabsorbtive surgery). Surprisingly, my family doctor and not my surgeon ordered it. My surgeon thought it unneccessary. Glad I had it done! I have osteopenia and am on extra vitamin d to make sure I absorb the calcium. 5000 mg a day added to the 1000 mg that come in my calcium tablets. I still showed low vitamin d and am on prescription high dose vit d for a few weeks, but I'm glad that they are keeping an eye on it. I don't have my next scan until 1 year out.

poet_kelly
on 3/24/11 12:21 am - OH
I had one at one year post op.  I don't have the results right in front of me so I forget the numbers but it was great.  I will repeat at three years post op.

Kelly

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

lovelyladi
on 3/24/11 1:45 am - CA
I am 8 years post op and had a scan b4 and and one about 2 years ago.  No significant bone loss (Yay)...religious about calcium and vitamin D.  I have,however, many other problems.   sigh
Most Active
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 265 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 27 replies · 313 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 29 replies · 330 views