D2 vsD3 (again)

poet_kelly
on 3/28/11 2:58 pm - OH
Yeah, I know I've posted this a couple times.  I feel compelled to do it every time I see someone post about taking the prescription D2 once a week when their D level is danerously low.  So I figured it was time to post it again.  If you already know this stuff or are tired of reading it, please feel free to skip it.

Please feel free to let me know what topics you'd rather be hearing about, as well.

There are two types of vitamin D, D2 and D3. It’s important that we know this because one type, D3, is absorbed well and the other type, D2, is not. Unfortunately, many doctors do not know the difference. They may not even realize there are two types of vitamin D, and if they do know there are two types, they may think they are both equally well absorbed or may have no idea what the difference is. I know it seems like a doctor should know these things, but the reality is, many do not.

D2 must be converted to D3 in the body in order for the body to use it. It takes a fair amount of D2 to make a little bit of D3. I’ve seen anywhere from three units of D2 to make one unit of D3 to ten units of D2 to make one unit of D3.

When your vitamin D level is low, doctors often want to give you a prescription for vitamin D. What they prescribe is called Drisdol, and it’s D2. They prescribe it in 50,000 IU soft gels, those little things that look like footballs and have oil inside. The reason they put it in oil is because vitamin D is an fat soluble vitamin. Being in oil is supposed to make it absorb better. That’s true for non-RNY folks, but is not true for RNY-folks because we malabsorb fat. We need dry D3. But some docs don’t know that, either.

OK. So your D is low and they give you 50,000 IU D2 and usually tell you to take it once a week. That’s not enough if your level is really low – and if your doc is prescribing vitamin D, it’s usually because it’s very, very low. But that’s another topic for later discussion.

If it takes three units of D2 to make one unit of D3 in your body and you take 50,000 IU of D2, you’re really only getting about 16,666 IU of vitamin D. If it takes ten units of D2 to make one unit of D3, you’re really only getting about 5000 IU of vitamin D.

Now, keep in mind that recent research suggests that folks that have not had WLS and that have normal levels of vitamin D need 1000 – 2000 IU per day just to maintain their levels. If you needed 7000 – 14,000 IU per week just to maintain your level, do you think 5000 – 16,666 IU once a week is going to bring your level up? Not likely.

And if had RNY, that prescription D2 in oil will help you even less because you won’t absorb much of it at all because you malabsorb fats. But even if you are pre-op, or had lap band or VSG, the D2 is not going to be sufficient for you.

You cannot get D3 by prescription. It is only available over the counter. Even if your doc knows the difference between D2 and D3 and writes a prescription for D3, the pharmacist will give you D2. That’s because there is no D3 available by prescription and legally pharmacists are allowed to make certain substitutions. You have to get your D3 over the counter and if you had RNY, you need to make sure it is dry D3, not in oil.

Keep in mind that we want our D levels about 80-100.  Lower than that, we are at increased risk for things like osteoporosis, heart disease and some cancers.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Lady Lithia
on 3/28/11 3:05 pm
I like it when you add these things..... even when I "get it"... it helps me remember to take my vitamins.

I have a hard time takin my vitamins for me.... a weird state of affairs.... but I respect YOU, and when you post these vitamin reminders, they help me to get up off my posterior and go take my vitamins.... because I know I should, and 'cuz you said to. In your way.

Thanks for doing what you do..... my vitamin compliance is up to 90+% since your poll ABOUT vitamin compliance.

~Lady Lithia~ 200 lbs lost! 
March 9, 2011 - Coccygectomy!
I chased my dreams, and my dreams, they caught me!
giraffesmiley.gif picture by hardyharhar_bucket

poet_kelly
on 3/28/11 3:11 pm - OH
Well, I am glad it helps you in that way.  I've gotten much better with mine lately. I am now setting alarms on my phone and I have a sign up the inside of front door that says "Did you take your meds?" and it reminds me if I  need to take some with me when I'm going out.

I figure people that are tired of hearing the same things again and again will just skip the posts. But there always seem to be many that don't know the stuff.

Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Lady Lithia
on 3/28/11 3:14 pm
I like the information

Have you ever done a TUMS post? Or a Flintstones post? Or a Gummy Vite post? 

Or even just a "why is protein so important" post?

poet_kelly
on 3/28/11 3:23 pm - OH
I have done a gummy vites post.  I'll have to find it an repost it sometime, though.  It was a while back.

I have not done a post about Tums specifically but I've done one about the different types of calcium and while Tums are no goo.

I haven't done a Flintstones post because honestly there are peole here that have done it better than I every could.  There is Andrea U and what's tehe othe woman's name?  I suck at names, especially when I jut took 1 mg Klonopin.   I meant to just beak .5 mg but I goofed.  I am quite wooxy.

One about the importance of proteijn would be great.  Thanks for the idea.

AmyBeth :)
on 3/28/11 3:30 pm - Fort Smith, AR
Andrea and Shari used to be the queens of these kinds of post.....................I miss everyone!

AB
Lady Lithia
on 3/28/11 3:34 pm
Shari got a life, and Andrea got a book deal so isn't around much either.

Alas...... it is what it is.

I'm around a lot lately because I'm bed-bound and home-bound while I recuperate from my surgery. One more week....return to work Monday!

AmyBeth :)
on 3/28/11 3:44 pm - Fort Smith, AR
LOL, how funny I could never write a book!  and I thought Shari always had a life..........at least you did it close to spring break so you did not miss much school, as for me the husband is in the desert playing soldier and I made it all winter with no illness!  and now my throat hurts I am blaming it on my surgery angel I was with this weekend or the newbie VSG I was around, LOL, its never my fault, and ouch on the surgery!  Do you talk to Terri much, she must be really busy, we messaged on facebook  and I left her a voicemail but no call back and I am dying to hear about her Mexican voyage cause I have decided that is what I am doing and quite honestly the plastics board here stinks.

AB
Amy L.
on 3/28/11 9:31 pm - Buffalo, NY
Lithia- this might help you to remember your vites and supplements- what I do is, I keep my morning pill organizer on top of my microwave, that way I walk right past it first thing in the morning, and grab it to take my pills right away.  My bedtime organizer is on my night stand next to my bed, and I always bring water up with me, so I take those right before I go to sleep.  It seems to help me to be diligent about taking them if they are in a convenient place, where I see them right away.  So, maybe if you can think of the place you see first thing in the morning, and last thing at night, that would help?  I used to have mine on a shelf in our bathroom- still out in the open, but I still ignored them because they weren't "in my face".
  5'5"tall, RNY 11/22/10, HW256  SW252 CW148 SurgeonGW160 MyGW130  5/15/2011 
Met my surgeon's goal weight of 160lbs on 3/30/11! Reached 130lbs on 5/24/11!

CURRENTLY 120LBS, 9/7/11!

jcatt1968
on 3/28/11 3:19 pm - federal way, WA
I just wanted to say thank you very much for posting this. I have been taking Vit D 50K iu once a DAY and last time I had this checked it was still low. I was wondering how that could be if I have been taking that much D on a daily basis so I looked at my prescription bottle and saw that it was D2. I have an appt in the morning and am going to ask about this - I feel like I have not only wasted time, but money also on something that is the wrong thing to take, so once again thank you for that invaluable piece of information.

Joy
Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 29 replies · 385 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 27 replies · 358 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 327 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 16 replies · 165 views
What?s on tap for this Saturday?
Melody P. · 3 replies · 111 views