2 week post op appointment question...

Smileygrl810
on 3/31/11 7:07 am

I had my 2 week post op appointment today and am feeling very down. I only lost 5 pounds.  I thought for sure with all of the liquids that I've been on I would have lost quite a bit more. I lost 16 pounds on my pre op diet and my surgeon said I probably gained all of that back just in fluids from being in the hospital for 5 days and I just had to re-lose all of that again. He told me not to worry about what the scale said today because everything else is great and the weight WILL come off.  I'm still having a hard time with this. My question for everyone is this... how much weight did you lose in your first 2 weeks??? I need to not feel like I"m failing already.

Highest Weight: 318 lbs
Surgery Weight: 265 lbs
Current Weight: 183 lbs
Goal Weight: 145 lbs 
nomoresugar
on 3/31/11 7:43 am, edited 3/31/11 7:44 am
Surgeon is right, you shouldn't worry.  follow the directions, and stay off the scale.  Normal fluctuating weight can make you crazy.  
amberj82
on 3/31/11 8:00 am - Blue Springs, MO
Let's see - it's been two weeks and three days (or something?) and I'm only down 7.2lbs from my weight on the day of surgery. I gained 6lbs from my time in the hospital and it took me a week to lose that again. I haven't lost anything in the past several days and it's starting to drive me crazy. I shouldn't weigh every day I guess, but I can't help it! I want results, darn it! 
sudemo09
on 3/31/11 8:12 am - Dover, NH
Honestly?  I don't even remember.

You will lose weight, there is no way NOT to after bypass surgery.

And in 15 months, you will forget about your self doubt and feel truly blessed at having gone through the journey.

Chin up, the first month is the hardest.
Julie

happyhealing
on 3/31/11 8:47 am
I had surgery March 1st and didnt have any preop diet.  Just fluids the day before and milk of magnesia.  I started at 236 and after 1 1/2 weeks I was down 14 lbs, but......  I weighed myself at 2 1/2 weeks, even 3 and hadnt lost a lb.  I was still down only 14.  I stopped weighing myself and at my 1 month on Tuesday, I was down 18.  Im not going to be a slave to that scale.  I've been walking about 45 minutes at least three times a week, so I may have lost inches.  Are you exercising?
Melin71
on 3/31/11 11:18 am - LA
 You're NOT failing!  It's a very delicate balance, I know.  I have freaked out and called my doctor's office so many times the past 4 weeks that I swear they're gonna block my number.  I fussed at them when they told me not to be a slave to the scale. It's so hard, because that was, in a big way, what determined whether or not we qualified for the surgery!  However, I have several friends who have had this surgery an assure me that the weight will come off.  I think it's so hard for me to fathom because failure with weight loss is all I've ever known.  I dieted 2 weeks prior to the surgery (my process moved eerily quickly) and lost a whopping 2 pounds lol!  When I came home from the hospital, I just KNEW I had lost at least 10 pounds....I was homicidal when I saw that I had gained 6!  You must remember, too, that this is a shock to our bodies. Don't be so hard on yourself!  Your doctor has your best interest at heart, and if there were a problem, he would tell you.  Good luck to you!
 Melin
DeeNadj
on 3/31/11 12:45 pm - Malmstrom AFB, MT
Are you checking your measurements? A lot of people don't notice the scale changing AT ALL, but their pants are falling down - so obviously SOMETHING is happening, it's just not what you THINK SHOULD be happening.

Hang in there.
Dee
RNY March 21, 2011!! I'm feeling great!!
Busy Mommy of 4, Proud USAF Wife, Quilter, and TRIATHLETE!!               
(deactivated member)
on 3/31/11 1:02 pm - Boston, MA
I'm 2 weeks and 3 days out.  I lost 25 lbs on my 2 week pre op liquid diet.. when Icame home from the hospital I had a heart attack when I weighed myself and saw that I gained 15 of that back!  I know it was all fluids but how frustrating!  In the past 1.5 weeks I lost that 15 plus another 13 .. but for the last 6 days the scale has not moved an ounce.  That said we're not failing!! Our bodies are just adjusting to this big change, we can't NOT lose weight after this surgery.. I wish I would have taken measurments because even though the scale has not moved this week my pants are huge on me, so something is happening!  Good luck to you and don't stress it will happen!
Smileygrl810
on 3/31/11 3:00 pm
Thanks guys! I'm glad I'm not alone. I know I've probably re-lost all the weight I lost pre op but it's still frustrating. I don't weight myself at home and I did take my measurements the week before surgery. However, I promised myself I would only measure and weight once a month so I don't get so discouraged. I will check my stats in 2 weeks. Thanks again for all the feedback. I really appreciate it!!!

Highest Weight: 318 lbs
Surgery Weight: 265 lbs
Current Weight: 183 lbs
Goal Weight: 145 lbs 
Most Active
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 52 replies · 489 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 48 replies · 551 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 40 replies · 533 views
What's on your Monday Menu?