Bike and ride to work...Long post

cabin111
on 4/1/11 11:07 am
Thought I would share about my experiment (adventure) riding my bike to work.  First time I've done this.  I rode my bike about 2 miles to the local bus stop.  Bus was a little late.  If it was 10 minutes later I would have rode back home and then drove to work.  I was afraid I couldn't get on...Other people had the same idea...Bike and ride.  There were two people with bikes at the stop.  The bus has room for 3 bikes in front and 1 bike in the handicapped area.  If your bike gets put in the handicapped area and a handicapped person gets on, you will be bumped!!  I had someone help me put the bike in the front of the bus, paid my $1.25 (will look into a ticket book) and off we went. 
Nothing exciting happened on the ride.  Tried to read, but instead just rested and vegetated.  It's been a while since I've been on a bus...Reminded me of Europe in some ways.  There were some bad smells...not real bad...just noticeable.  It looked like about 80% of the riders were people who didn't have cars.  The other 20% rode for convenience and comfort.  A lot of college students.  It was about a 10 mile ride...Got to my stop and grabbed my bike and off I went.  It was about a mile to my post (I'm a security guard at a medical facility).  I had an uneventful day at work...4 hour shift...Got off at 2:30 pm.  It was warm here in California today (hottest day of the year so far)...Between 83-85 degrees.  I melted a little.  My relief was late so I hustled back to the bus station and caught my bus by about 30 seconds!!  Otherwise it would have been a 45 minute wait for the next one...Bus stations aren't too clean or safe.  I try to plan ahead (have all my ducks lined up in a row), but still you need to be ready for the unexpected.  I try to have back up plans for something like this.  Got on the bus home (3/4 full).  Sat near a woman with behavioral (mental) issues...Not really what I needed since I have to deal with these types of people all day long at work.  She quieted down and I melted in my seat.  The rides and work were taking their toll on me...I'm not in the greatest of shape.  Was thinking of stopping at the local high school on my way home to watch a girls' softball game...but declined.  Wanted to get home and crash.  Made it home...Drank some OJ, 6 oz of Pepsi and some water.  Crashed on the floor and in front of the TV for a while. 
Will I do it again?...Yeah, I plan to.  If gasoline goes up to $5.00 I think I'll do it a lot more.  I think I'll only be a fair weather rider...Between 65-90 degrees is my limit...And only 1/2 day shifts.  I have to walk several miles at work so that gets me tired, too.  I won't ride on smoggy days.  Both my heart attacks occured on smoggy days...Not good for my heart or lungs.  It was fun...Some work, but I enjoyed it.  My wife calls me Scamp...Like the children's book...His big adventure.  That's it...Thanks for reading.   Brian  
Ladytazz
on 4/1/11 12:15 pm
Good for you. It sounds like an adventure.
bowknot
on 4/1/11 2:27 pm
I take the bus to work most days.  I drive to the Park & Ride.  It is just too hot here to ride a bike back and forth, but not too far.  I'm fortunate that most of the people on my bus are professionals or students who are commuting.  I learned the hard way...avoid the Friday afternoon bus after 6:00pm.  There is a whole different crowd of people at that time.

Good for you.  You are getting extra exercise and saving money!

Kay

Most Active
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 267 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 27 replies · 316 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 29 replies · 332 views