Protein or Water

Hvhmom
on 4/3/11 11:45 am - raleigh, NC
I am 2 days shy of being 6 weeks post op.  I am getting in all of my protein but having a hard time getting in 8 + glasses of water.  I tend to eat very dense proteins (meats, fish, poultry).  I do go lighter at times with greek yogurt, eggs, etc.  I find that these things fill me up quickly and keep me satisfied and full for a VERY long time.   I find myself waiting longer than 30 minutes to drink fluids due to the prolonged feeling of fullness OR I end up drinking the majority of my water after 7 pm when I stop eating altogether.
My question is which is more important at this point?  The water or the protein?  Should I cut back on the proteins to make way for more water?   Also, I am also concerned that I may not be getting in enough calories.... 345-640 daily.

Thanks in advance for any and all feedback!

Dennia

HW 269/SW 263/CW 184/GW 135                        
Lady Lithia
on 4/3/11 1:11 pm
Water is most important followed by protein, have you tried other beverages than water.

~Lady Lithia~ 200 lbs lost! 
March 9, 2011 - Coccygectomy!
I chased my dreams, and my dreams, they caught me!
giraffesmiley.gif picture by hardyharhar_bucket

flyingwoman
on 4/3/11 1:22 pm
My clinic told us that the water or milk used to make shakes count towards the total water intake. So I would say protein.
(deactivated member)
on 4/3/11 1:33 pm, edited 4/3/11 1:38 pm
If you don't get your water in you can become dehydrated, constipated, bloated, and can hinder or slow your weight-loss.

My nut says that milk and shakes do not count for my "liquid" intake (which deflated me as I though it did, but their program is different). Every clinic and program is different, call your nut or your surgeon and see what they have to say about it .
Suite1
on 4/3/11 1:54 pm - Dayton, OH
Isopure ready to drink, no carb protein drinks count as both.  A full bottle has 40g of protein, but since our bodies don't absorb more than 25g or so at a time, just drink a half bottle. 

I'm almost 7 months out and have no problem getting my fluids in - consistently average 120 oz a day.   When  was at your stage, I wondered how I'd ever do it.   Isopure really helped me hit both numbers.   They have six different flavors and you can get them at GNC or Vitamin Shoppe.

HW:  280  SW:  262.5  CW:  150
  GOAL!!!!   One week shy of my surgiversary!

LBL, TT, BA on 3/2/12 - Dr William Rigano  

(deactivated member)
on 4/3/11 3:39 pm
How do you get past the taste on those?
Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 4/4/11 11:40 am - OH
I couldn't choke those suckers down no matter how much I "doctored" them up, but I really like the Cytomax Pure Protein drinks (which come in 3 flavors).

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

sexynblessed
on 4/3/11 3:46 pm - Tacoma, WA
 my dr told me to count all fluid not jus****er but that's just my doc :) 
Hvhmom
on 4/4/11 4:06 am - raleigh, NC
I don't do shakes at all.  I can't stand them and that's why I make it a point to only eat protein.  ONCE in a while I will have a premier shake blended with chobani greek yogurt 40+ grams of protein BUT that's it.   At this point, I get in 60-80 grams of protein but only 4-5 glasses of water per day.

HW 269/SW 263/CW 184/GW 135                        
H.A.L.A B.
on 4/4/11 10:19 am
When i had issues like that I made sure I drink first thing in the morning and then before bed.  And I would have a really large glass (18 oz ) by my bed at night and every time I would get up to use the bathroom at night I made sure I drink as much as I could.  Usually I was able to drink 12-16 oz at night.  Not best - but you have to do what you can.

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Most Active
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 27 replies · 360 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 330 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 16 replies · 194 views
What?s on tap for this Saturday?
Melody P. · 4 replies · 115 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 16 replies · 194 views