Solution for stalls? Is the 17-Day Diet the Answer?

janet2921
on 4/7/11 6:27 pm, edited 4/7/11 6:28 pm - Chicago, IL
I have had my share of stalls.  Well, its time for me to reach my goal.  I have been hearing and reading about this new diet called the 17-Day Diet.  Dr. Mike Moreno has been on so many TV medical shows like the "Doctors" and Dr. Phil. 

Well this month, I'm ordering the book and will try this diet for 17 days or if I can meet my goal faster, that will be even better.

I am going to do it!!

Janet
"Respect the pouch & embrace the scale."

cent100

seattledeb
on 4/7/11 7:00 pm
Is your ticker correct? You weight is within 2 lbs of your goal and you want to try some trendy diet? Really?? You and both know..those things don't work. You do know what does work though because you are doing it.
Deb T.

janet2921
on 4/7/11 7:19 pm - Chicago, IL
On April 8, 2011 at 2:00 AM Pacific Time, seattledeb wrote:
Is your ticker correct? You weight is within 2 lbs of your goal and you want to try some trendy diet? Really?? You and both know..those things don't work. You do know what does work though because you are doing it.
Deb T.
Yes Deb, my ticker is correct.  What the ticker does not show is how long I have been inching toward goal.  I am over 2 years out.   It is time for me to reach my goal weight.  I am well past my honeymoon period so for me, this may be an ideal short term strategy for breaking through resistant stalls.

Furthermore, I know that once I reach my goal weight, I will need some wiggle room.  So as my weight fluctuates, this may be my strategy to get back on track. 

I believe that diets provide the needed structure to help lose weight for a short period of time.

The 17-Day Diet will be ideal for being so far out from GBS.

Janet

cent100

NIXMOMMIE
on 4/7/11 9:00 pm - NC
Really, another diet. I don't know you,soooo, I do not know how many Fad diets YOU have tried in the past. But for me, I have tried them all, hence, the WLS ultimitly. Anyhow, maybe you shoul,d go back to the basics and see if there are any little habits that may have creeped back into your regimin. 2lbs, really, another diet.

janet2921
on 4/7/11 9:12 pm - Chicago, IL
I know that the thought of diet brings back many dreaded periods of disappointment.  Most folks always failed.  So Nix, I understand your concerns.

For me, GBS has been successful.  In reflecting on being 2 years out... and I guess a veteran, I have been successful in losing weight over the long run.  But, being over 2 years out, with a couple of pounds to go, at this point I need to arrive at the goal that I set for myself.  My honeymoon period is long over.  Has been over for about one year now.

So, this diet should work for me in reaching my goal in about 2 weeks.  I am a long timer.  Its time for me to reach my goal weight and focus on maintenance.  If someone is postop they should not be doing a diet other than what their bariatric team prescribed.  I am different being over 2 years out.  This 17-Day Diet is for me.

I approach dieting as a short term event.  Whether or not there is a name for a diet, most folks are going to have to do some dieting after their honeymoon period.  If you are still in your honeymoon period, great!  Take full advantage.  If you are beyond it..... just wait, you will have to do some dieting and exercising.... like I did.

Janet

cent100

cindy31
on 4/7/11 9:05 pm - Gwynn Oak, MD
I have had stalls since the beginning , I go back to to the 2 shakes and 1 small meal and seem to drop another 15-20 pounds.
            Highest weight- 325  Day of surgery- 301  Post surgery -306            
megaflu
on 4/7/11 9:19 pm - Bedford, PA
The only thing that concerns me about this is the first 17 days is for a restrictive calorie amount of 1200 or so.  I know when you hit further out you can normally eat more, but not sure if they are counting on you being able to eat much more then this after the first 17 day cycle. 
Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
Elizabeth Z.
on 4/7/11 11:33 pm - Corning, NY
Woman! I say go for it and fill me in on the results! I would LOVE to see how this turns out! If nothing comes of it... well, at least you tried! I have faith in you!! Just let me know how it goes.. I can NOT for the life of me shed this last 15lbs and I've done EVERYTHING!

http://bariatrickitchen.wordpress.com/

AuntSugar
on 4/8/11 3:28 am - La Verne, CA
Interesting coincidence, I just saw this article on Yahoo this mornin. Hope it helps in making your decision:

A San Diego physician is quickly joining the ranks of Internet phenomenons with one of the world’s first viral diets. Fans of his 17-Day Diet have taken to Twitter, YouTube, and the blogosphere to sing the praises of Dr. Mike Moreno’s weight-loss regimen. Already a best seller, his new book professes the power of the number 17. With 17 minutes of daily exercise and four different 17-day meal plan cycles, the diet promises dramatic weight loss results for life.  Broken into four different parts, the plan is designed to jump-start the body’s metabolism by switching up eating habits every 17 days. The first cycle involves a restrictive calorie diet, and the other three toggle between various carbs, proteins, fruits and veggies for an overall healthy makeover. 

"I think this diet is probably the only diet that is for everybody," Moreno tells ABC News. "And that means whether you want to lose five pounds for your high school reunion coming up, whether you want to lose 150 pounds, or whether you're just comfortable with who you are and how you look and your health and your weight, as it is, this is just a way to not only focus on the scale moving, but it's focusing on good, proper digestive health." Flexibility is one big thing that’s setting Moreno’s bestselling diet book apart from the others. Based on the sheer numbers of proponents, the diet accommodates a lot of different lifestyles. But not everyone is on board—some nutrition experts have their reservations about Moreno's meal plan. Here, they weigh some of the pros and cons. 

Pros:

It doesn’t get monotonous. The plan itself is 68 days long, but it’s broken up in four parts, 17 days a piece. “Since it divides weight loss into little chunks, each cycle seems doable," says nutritionist Laurie Slayton, who runs the diet website foodtrainers.net.

The results are fast. “You get good results in the first phase especially," adds Slayton. During the first 17 days, dieters can lose up to 15 pounds by eating a restrictive diet of 1,200 calories a day. Seeing results so fast makes for some serious motivation to stick with it.

There’s a long-term emphasis. The first 17 days are the most extreme, but the second cycle introduces more calories and the chance to shed another 5 pounds and the last two cycles are designed to integrate healthier overall eating habits into your long-term lifestyle. Swapping out mayo for mustard, and sugars for nectar and spices are some of the basic principles for keeping off the weight. “If you eat a highly processed diet this could be a good switch," says Slayton. “If you are a healthy eater you already know things like egg whites, fish, and vegetables are good for you."

It’s fairly balanced.  Unlike the Atkins diet, Moreno’s plan doesn’t completely cut out one major source of nutrition. Fruits, veggies, protein-rich meats and healthy carbs are all part of the constantly shifting meal plan so your body is never completely deprived of one thing. Overall, it's considered fairly safe as opposed to more high-risk deprivation diets and
cleanses.

Cons:

The scientific proof isn’t totally convincing. Moreno claims that shifting your meal plan every 17 days before your body registers certain eating habits is a way to keep your metabolism in high gear, but not everyone is buying it. "There is no scientific evidence to support the efficacy of calorie cycling or its effect on metabolism," Mary Hartley, director of nutrition at Calorie Count, tells the editors of Diets In Review. "There is no harm in calorie cycling temporarily or indefinitely and the process happens naturally for most people, who don't eat or burn the same number of calories every day."

Marisa Sherry, a registered dietician, questions one hard-and-fast rule of the diet—no starchy carbs or fruit after 2 P.M. "There's no proof that after certain times of day your body loses the ability to digest carbohydrates," Sherry tells CBS News.

The first 17 days of calorie restrictions may backfire: "You are cleansing your body of the unhealthy foods you have been eating," says Sherry. "But if you are not consuming enough calories to meet your resting metabolic needs, then you are in starvation mode which actually slows your metabolism."

It’s an investment: While there’s plenty of store-bought foods that fall into the meal plans, dieters are encouraged to buy specific 17-Day Diet branded snacks like the breakfast cookie. That can rack up your bills unnecessarily.

It's complicated: “I have two nutrition degrees and found the explanations a little confusing," says Slayton. Since the guidelines of the diet are constantly shifting, following the plan takes focus, organization and the constant recording of calorie intake. Still, the basic principles are simple. "Cut your calories and increase your exercise, that's how it's done," Sherry tells CBS News. "If you can get away from the rules that aren't based on science, it should work just fine."
janet2921
on 4/8/11 9:29 am - Chicago, IL
Thank you all for the fantastic feedback!  I am ordering the book today.  I will keep a good record and will post updates here!

Janet

cent100

Most Active
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 52 replies · 489 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 48 replies · 551 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 40 replies · 533 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 30 replies · 238 views