Any Recommendations on What to Do If You Are a RNY Patient and Get a Stomache Bug?

peacefrogggie
on 4/11/11 7:27 am - Durham, NC
Hi All,

I am not feeling so great today. I believe I got a stomache bug over the weekend. I have been having diarrhea and stomache cramping over the last few days starting with some steamed seafood I ate on Sunday. The ways I would have dealt with these symptoms prior to surgery don't seem to be a good idea now that I've had surgery (i.e. drink ginger ale, take Pepto, etc.). I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations on how to deal with these symptoms. I have no interest in eating or drinking anything right now because it upsets my stomache. I also have started to get a bad headache. I also don't want to get dehydrated. Any advice or suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks.

Lisa
MastoDon
on 4/11/11 7:51 am - Los Gatos, CA
I encountered some sugar free apple cider (in powder form) at the grocery store a few months ago, and found that when I mixed it with ho****er at about twice the recommended concentration, it was soothing to my pouch and environs.  I don't suppose anything is going to accelerate the course of your current infection (if that's what it is), but some hot liquids might make you feel marginally better. 
I haven't heard anyone here on the board report any particularly bad experiences with Pepto Bismol or that sort of OTC anti-diarrheal treatment, so if you can't stop going any other way, you might try that.
Good luck with this thing.

Learning to swim was easy.  The hard part was getting out of that burlap sack.  Those rocks were heavy.
High: 310    Surgery day: 282     Goal: 190     Current: 178

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 4/11/11 8:05 am - OH
My surgeon told me iot was fine to take an occasional dose of Pepto Bismol.  Garlic pills are also good for an upset stomach.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

ceruleanme
on 4/11/11 9:05 am - CA
 I'd drink some ginger tea.
JudiJudi T
on 4/11/11 4:21 pm
 I just went through two days of agonizing stomach cramping .. nothing helped which really sucked.  Your headache could be from dehydration - drink soothing teas - maybe Tummy Tea which I think is made by Celestial Seasonings  (if you can deal with herbal teas - I can't).  Mine just finally went away on it's own.  I hope yours passes quickly!  

Before/after pic in my profile.  
Surgery: Dec 2009, lost 100 lbs

mspuddytat
on 4/12/11 7:15 am - WESTMINSTER, MD
Hello All   I invested in an old fashioned ho****er bottle and that seem to help me when my pouch is acting up.

Judy aka MsPuddytat

Most Active
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 29 replies · 320 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 240 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 16 replies · 300 views
What's on your Saturday menu??
Amy Liz · 4 replies · 74 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Saturday menu??