Multi vitamins-is it just me or is everyone sick?

ShelbieAT
on 4/10/11 12:22 pm
Is it normal to get stomache cramps from these? I haven't had my surgery yet, but I have to take them and I throw up every time. Is it just me?

Thanks, Shelbie
Lady Lithia
on 4/10/11 12:23 pm
What type are you taking?

It's not normal for ANYTHIGN to give a person stomach cramps (well a laxative maybe)

I took Centrum chewable for two months postop, then moved on to pills from that point on.

~Lady Lithia~ 200 lbs lost! 
March 9, 2011 - Coccygectomy!
I chased my dreams, and my dreams, they caught me!
giraffesmiley.gif picture by hardyharhar_bucket

ShelbieAT
on 4/10/11 12:33 pm
They are just just plain centrum. my dr said to start taking them now. I have my surgery in june. Are the chewables easier on your stomache?
Lady Lithia
on 4/10/11 1:06 pm
Try taking them with food.

I didn't much care for the chewables, but being medicine, my liking them had nothing to do with it..... frankly I was MORe compliant than I might have otherwise been, because I refused to buy somethign better until the chewables were gone.

I get generic Walgreens One-A-Day for women

~Lady Lithia~ 200 lbs lost! 
March 9, 2011 - Coccygectomy!
I chased my dreams, and my dreams, they caught me!
giraffesmiley.gif picture by hardyharhar_bucket

ANNI D.
on 4/10/11 1:10 pm
Before I had surgery, I called ALL the bariatric vtamin companies and requested samples, so I could try them out and see what I thought of each one. I figured it was a big descion, since I'll have to be on them for the rest of my life. I tried the Celebrate, and although they had some of the better tasting vitamins, they caused me to throw up EVERY time! I thought, o.k., I'll eat something before,and that helped a little. I only dry heaved until I puked, so I had some warning, unlike before! But then, I figured post-op, I'm not gonna be able to eat before I take them anyway, so the rest went in the trash. I now take the BA brand and Vit D3 form Wal-Mart. I suggest that you just change the multi-vit that you are taking, only but a small amount at first to see if you can tolerate them, and if you can, buy em'!! Good luck!
I only strive to be, the kind of person my dogs think I am!                               

Of the choices we are given, it's no choice at all....
                                             -Patty Griffin

Tracy M.
on 4/10/11 1:32 pm - KY
I use the celebrate chewables. I cant hardly stand to chew them so I got a pill crusher and I put them in about a half cup of applesauce....It certainly does help a lot. I get all my vitamins in very easily but I will be using regular tablets ASAP.

Tracy

Highest known weight- 512
Surgery weight-425
Current Weight- 260

poet_kelly
on 4/10/11 1:50 pm - OH
No, it's not normal for vitamins to make you throw up every time you take them.  Try a different brand.  You will need the nutrients in that pill after surgery, it won't do for you to just throw it up every time you take it.  And you'll need to take a multi twice a day after surgery.  Try a different one.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

elixir
on 4/10/11 1:55 pm - MI
I take vitamins everyday and have for several years. You can't take them on an empty stomach. I actually work for a company that makes vitamins and occasionally we'll get someone who calls in says that they get a stomach ache each time they take the vitamins. The first question I always ask is if they are taking them on an empty stomach and the answer is usually yes. I tell them that there is a reason that it says to take with meals. I actually usually take mine right before I go to bed. I take them in bed in fact. I keep them on the bottom shelf of my night stand. If I take them and then get up and wander around I get a stomach ache, but as long as I'm laying down I'm fine.  
 I am not like I was before. I thought that nothing would change me. ~Sinead O'Connor

ANNI D.
on 4/10/11 2:03 pm
Have you already had WLS? I founf that if a bariatric vitamin or any vitamin you chose, after surgery, makes you throw up on an empty stomach, then it is not the right vitamin. As a RNY post-op I had to be on a clear liquid diet for at least a week and then until I could tolerate full liquids, which I was lucky and had NO problems, BUT I had to take vits as soon as I got out of the hospital, so obviously a RNY patient cannot always eat before vitamins. Even now vitamins are spaced throughout my day and not always are they at appropriate times for me to eat.
I only strive to be, the kind of person my dogs think I am!                               

Of the choices we are given, it's no choice at all....
                                             -Patty Griffin

Most Active
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 29 replies · 238 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 354 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 23 replies · 113 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 16 replies · 237 views
What?s on tap for this Saturday?
Melody P. · 4 replies · 131 views