Drain question

browneyedgal
on 4/14/11 9:01 am

To those who have forged the road before me. I'm having RNY lap on April 25th and received my follow-up appts today from Dr. Schauer's office. Does everyone come home with a drain that is taken out a week later? Is it possible to NOT go home with a drain. For some reason, this is the only thing that is bothering me. Help?

~Mary Ann~             
Dee2011
on 4/14/11 9:05 am - PA
My drain was pulled the day I came home.  I had asked the Dr. on my last pre op visit if I would come with one in place and he said no.  Check with your Dr.
Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 4/14/11 9:07 am - OH
I had no drains at all, even in the hospital.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

ArmyWife7806
on 4/14/11 9:14 am - Wheeler AAF, HI
I came home with my drain in. I had it in for 2 more days after coming home. My doctor said I was still draining a little more fluid then he would like, so they left it. I think it depends on the person. If your are draining more fluid then they want you too, you'll probably come home with it in, if you are draining little to none then they will pull it out. Good Luck! See ya on the losers bench!
Mommy to Talan & Aden. Proud Army Wife to Dustin 
HW:306 SW:275 CW:191 GW: 135-145 ish 

woey33
on 4/14/11 9:17 am - kalamazoo, MI

I just had my surgery on the 5th and I came home with my drain! Just got it removed yesterday! I was freaked out by it b4 surgery also but in all honesty it wasn't bad at all! The hardest thing was trying to shower while holding the drain! I ended up pinning it to the shower curtain cause it had a little plastic piece that had a safety pin on it! It was quite commical!!! Anyways it really wasn't bad but I undersatnd your worry cause I felt the same way! Best wishes

Joey

(deactivated member)
on 4/14/11 9:19 am - SC
I think it's totally dependent on the surgeon.  Mine took mine out today before I went home.  I'm not going to lie, it was the worst part about this whole experience so far.  They said they only send you home with it if you're still draining quite a bit of fluid when it's time to go home.  Fortunately, I wasn't draining much by today. 
Kermit P.
on 4/14/11 9:30 am
All physicians seem to do this differently.  Mine always has you come home with a drain for a week.  I personally found the drain very uncomfortable and was VERY happy when it came out.   I dealt with it by accepting that he felt this was needed and being uncomfortable was worth healing.  I would call the office and ask what is your surgeon's protocol.  If you come home with a drain you can handle it and emptying it is not too difficult.  I found it most comfortable having it pinned to a scarf wrapped around my waist....i discovered this when I took my first shower post surgery.  You will be able to deal with this......I promise!!!!!

Hang in there!!!!
HW/232       CW/145.2       GW/???
Carebearny1999
on 4/14/11 9:50 am - Rochester, NY
It even varies among the PATIENTS as my surgeon has removed some people's in the hospital and I HAD to go home with mine! So really, no way of knowing. It was a small speedbump on my road to losing 100+ pounds!
AddisynsMommy
on 4/14/11 12:35 pm - FL
 I came home with my drain in and it was in for 12 days was suppose to be 14 but i had to go in earlier another story.. I taped my on my stomach so it wasn't hanging lol or tucked it in my waist band.lol
felix612
on 4/14/11 12:34 pm - CA
 I came home with a drain and it was supposed to come out at my 1 week check up but had to stay in for another 2 days because I was still draining too much. My doctor said they don't like to leave it in longer than 10 days. The first several days were a little nerve wracking trying to figure out how to sleep without pulling on it! As long as you have a pair of sweats with a pocket, it's not a bother. And if you don't have a shower curtain like the other poster said, the tube is long enough so that you can hold it between your legs!!

I do agree that the removal of the drain was the worst pain in the whole surgery process. Uggg... I wanted to cry!! Not to scare you, but load up on pain meds before they remove it (if you do come home with one!!).

Good luck to you!!

Most Active
Recent Topics