A few weeks out...Having problems keeping even water down??

cabin111
on 4/14/11 10:20 am
This is a repost...but if it can help even one RNYer who is wondering "WHAT DID I DO WRONG...I can't keep down my food.  I followed the doctor's orders to a tee".  This may help.
What is a stricture?  This question comes up weekly, if not daily on OH.  Below is a copy and paste from Wikipedia.  If you are a few weeks out post op from RNY and have problems keeping well chewed food (even water) down, you might have a stricture.  Very common and very treatable (about 5% of RNY patients get them).  Also do not freak out if you have to go back a second or third time to get treated for one.  The Gastroenterologist will go just below the pouch and air up the "balloon".  It is an outpatient procedure and you will be sedated.

As the anastomosis heals, it forms scar tissue, which naturally tends to shrink ("contract") over time, making the opening smaller. This is called a "stricture". Usually, the passage of food through an anastomosis will keep it stretched open, but if the inflammation and healing process outpaces the stretching process, scarring may make the opening so small that even liquids can no longer pass through it. The solution is a procedure called gastroendoscopy, and stretching of the connection by inflating a balloon inside it. Sometimes this manipulation may have to be performed more than once to achieve lasting correction.

seattledeb
on 4/14/11 10:28 am
I would add..as a night nurse...call your doctor during the day if you can. The night on call doctor at the ER is not the best choice. Your surgeon is the best to do the assessment on how you are doing.
Deb T.

Our Lady of the Holy
Rollers

on 4/14/11 10:39 am
According to my doc, there is a very tiny percentage of RNYers who cannot tolerate plain water. I am one of them. To this day (I'm about 2 1/2 years out) I cannot tolerate plain water. It has to have some crystal light or something in it in order to stay down. I ended up in the ER three times when I was early out to get fluids because I kept thinking "gotta get my water in".

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 29 replies · 321 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 27 replies · 299 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 253 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 22 replies · 323 views
What?s on your Saturday menu?
Melody P. · 7 replies · 150 views
Recent Topics