Can't decide on vitamins. What do you suggest?

kim_in_alabama
on 4/16/11 5:52 am
Good day everyone,

I read in the thread to go to the celebrate website for vitamins, because the OTC vitamins will not do us justice in what we need.
I do a a date set, or even seen the surgeon, that's on the 25th, but I know I need to start getting my body and mind ready for this and I am slowly getting it there.

1. Cutting down on my wine intake( I'll will miss you, but it's either me or you white Zinfandel)

2. Cutting down on carbs (bread and pasta, we may or may not meet again)

3. Upping my water like a fish (mama quit drinking all the bottle water up---from my daughter to me, whatever, get a job and buy you own water, I work and I can drink as much as I please--from me to my lovely daughter)

4. Got my zumba Cd's ready to go (and a cha-cha- cha, now salsa.  The dance not the dip)

5. Got my husband thinking back to how I  looked pre-pre-pre kids days( yes dust off that swing baby I'm back)

6. Positive attitude, (yes gurl, you gonna be healthy and look good and not be ashamed anymore.

7. Research, research, that's where you guys come in:  I am very anemic and I know I need to push those iron pills,  but the choices are very hard

celebrate multi complete with iron 36mg
b-12 sublingual quick melt
multi vitimins chewable
iron +C 18mg or 60mg---figure the more the better for me right.
Any suggestions on what you are taking and what would be good for me.

Lady Lithia
on 4/16/11 5:58 am
You will need some calcium CITRATE ...there are chewables you can buy online or pills in the store Citracal is good, and you ccan put it in your crystal light or other beverage, it'll melt and you'll hardly notice it.

a lot of people take the multivitamin with calcium, but in that case they don't want a multi with iron, beccause that iron is wasted (don't take iron with calcium) so a lot of folks get the centrum silver (no iron) and supplement with iron at different times.

~Lady Lithia~ 200 lbs lost! 
March 9, 2011 - Coccygectomy!
I chased my dreams, and my dreams, they caught me!
giraffesmiley.gif picture by hardyharhar_bucket

poet_kelly
on 4/16/11 6:10 am - OH
That depends on how much calcium is in the multi - most multis only have 200-300 mg calcium, which won't block the iron.  More than 300 mg will, though.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

poet_kelly
on 4/16/11 6:08 am - OH
When you say you are very anemic, what's your iron and ferritin levels?

The Celebrate iron has some C in it but not enough to aid absorption.  You need 200 mg C for every 30 mg iron.

Don't forget the calcium citrate.

Many people also need D3, so if you don't know your D level, get it checked to see if you need to take that (I bet you do, almost everyone does).

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

grmadeb01
on 4/16/11 6:29 am - FL
my surgeon has me on the building blocks vitamins, cacium, iron, antioxident...they are chewables, but on tuesday i can get the swallow ones..which of course i will be doing..the chewables have to go!!! i was told that we can not take over the counter vitamins and such as they are not enough of what we need....
i will most likely get a iron from my PCM as it is the same amount on each the building blocks as my perscript one.. and i can get the iron from the base so much cheaper..

i was wondering why we could not take extra prenatal vitamins? i thought they were really good vitamins for being preg...why are they so bad for us after surgery? or is there not enought of different vitamins that we need?
thanks for the help
have a great day
debby
poet_kelly
on 4/16/11 6:59 am - OH
Any vitamin with 100% of the RDA of stuff in it is fine, whether it's OTC or prenatal or whatever.

jenysez1
on 4/16/11 7:47 am - LA
My NUT suggested GNC solotron chewables.  If you take these they have everything you need but the Calcium citrate with vitamin D and B12.  I think I am going to order some UpCal D powder (calcium citrate w/ vit. D).  I read you can mix this powder with protein shakes.  I will also probably just get a monthly B12 injection.

Jenny
afrog777
on 4/16/11 8:52 am - Houston, TX

I have used nothing but the celebrate vitamins until about 2 months ago when I ran out and used the rest of the centrum I had in the house and could really tell a difference in my hair falling out among other things. Went back to the celebrate vitamin and could tell a big difference in the way I felt and my hair has been better. BUT my labs were all good except iron so Im having to take another iron pill.

franRN76
on 4/16/11 6:06 pm - PA
still doing my bariatric chewables.  Will do those til I run out.  Could not stand the chewable calcium any longer.  I was ok'd by my surgeon to use the Citracal Petites, which I can take without any problems.  I think once I am done with the chewable vitamins that I will get the GNC women's mega ultra vitamins.  Took them before when I was dieting and they worked out great.  they had 100-200 of everything that you need.  So that way if I do not absorb 100% of it, I will still get very close to what I need

Most Active
Recent Topics