Concern over the number of posts asking how soon certain foods can be eaten

nfarris79
on 4/17/11 10:19 am - Germantown, MD
 Lora, AMEN to that!!! And I think a post about the psych issues is relevent - I may come off too preachy on that topic, but I really believe that this is a lifestyle change and those who become fixated on "when am I allowed to eat...." need to confront their fear of change to make this a true success. Just my opinion....

First ultra: Stone Mill 50 miler 11/15/14 13:44:38, First Full Marathon: Marine Corps 10/27/13 4:57:11Half Marathon PR 2:04:43 at Shamrock VA Beach Half-Marathon, 12/2/12 First Half-Marathon 2:32:47, 5K PR  Run Under the Lights 5K 27:23 on 11/23/13, 10K PR 52:53 Pike's Peek 10K 4/21/13(1st timed run) Accumen 8K 51:09 10/14/12.

godsend213
on 4/17/11 10:37 am - Fort Carson, CO
Maybe some of these people are clueless still about the post op process. I ask sometimes because my post op diet from my doc leaves me clueless alot so that's why sometimes I ask. I don't ever ask when can I eat a stick of butter, or when can I have a big bowl of ice cream. I ask when SOME people first had this kind of veggie or when can I start juicing. Alot of you people are further out than some of us newbies so we ask. No question is stupid. However my mother is 20 years out so I go to her for most of my questions. If you dont want to answer someones post, then simply don't read it. Sounds like your ganging up on the newbies, Just my opinion....

I want to participate in life, not observe!  

Lady Lithia
on 4/17/11 10:43 am
There's a difference between certain questions

When did you eat pasta/pizza/donuts/ice cream/traditionally bad for you foods

and

when did you eat oranges/cuumbers/steak

~Lady Lithia~ 200 lbs lost! 
March 9, 2011 - Coccygectomy!
I chased my dreams, and my dreams, they caught me!
giraffesmiley.gif picture by hardyharhar_bucket

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 4/17/11 10:54 am - OH
If you re-read what I wrote, you will see that I specifically acknowledged that some of the questions are related to healthy foods:

"(Yes, some of the posts are simply asking when others were able to eat something that IS a healthy food choice, but most of them are not.)"

I also never said that any question is "stupid" (your word, not mine).  I expressed my concern about the mindset that causes people to only be a few weeks out of surgery and already asking when they can eat the pizza/ice cream/pasta/whatever and how that mindset might cause probelms down the road.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

happyhealing
on 4/17/11 12:19 pm
I whole heartedly agree, my post op education has sucked, and I have to rely on this blog for answers. Asking your mom who has 20 years behind her might be hard too, because alot has changed since then, that's why I look for answers here.  No question is too dumb, and I'm not sure she's saying that but she is concerned about why we are asking.  It's hard to read people's attitudes from this.  I agree, if you think the post is ridiculous, don't answer.  She has great answers for alot of questions so hopefully that doesnt end.
sweetpotato1959
on 4/17/11 10:48 am
 Very well said!...  
           as for those who have cravings they are worried about being able to satisfy... the thing that I do that helps those more than anything is to  take my B-complex regularly...one dropper ful under the tongue in the morning gives me an energy boost and takes care of cravings to boot!
   .I use a sublingual that is well absorbed under the tongue...so those even immediate post-op can take it.      It is available at Wally- world in the spring vitamin section, and is about 6$ for a months supply.
            I am one of those who has had problems with dumping even before my surgery, it is blood sugar related..(I had a combination of several surgeries that are being done now, mine was called the memphis by-pass, and involves a pouch, a duodental switch and a removal of most of my colon. I am over 16 yrs post-op).       I have learned that I can only have a few bites of a food that "tastes too sweet", and I usually don't dump if I respect my taste buds speaking....so yes you can still eat the forbidden foods, but you have to learn  control and  not allow your body to control you.
         ..I think this is the same message that ****rogirl was giving.....but  must know that your time to maintain that diet and get your control measures in place is immediate post-op.
          There are some foods that there are healthy versions of, some taste amazingly like the food they are intended to  replace, and some do not...    .It helps me to know what part of the food it is that I desire...ie, am I craving the fruit in a peach cobbler, or do I just want a small peice of crust that reminds me of my grandma?
         These are the type of issues each of us must  look at as we make those changes  on a daily basis.... I also do not deny myself a favorite food, but I do limit it mostly because there are  things I crave that I don't tolerate...I crave ice-cream when I am having sinus issues.but I don't tolerate milk, so I  choose a sugar free icee...My weight is  around 170 now, and I am hoping with the changes in activity that come for me with summer that iI will be able to get back down to 150 . I started at 292 and a half, and was down to 150-160 for several years while I had a physically demanding job.
         If you  truly have issues of craving something you know will  guarantee failure , then you need to seek professional assistance for those issues without delay so your surgery can have the desired effectiveness and you are able to maintain that control after your surgical benefits are reduced to your pouch size and your learned behaviors are your main method for maintaining a lower and desired weight.   sweetpotato
Carrie W.
on 4/17/11 10:52 am - KY
So far I'm doing okay avoiding this.  I'm too busy thinking of things that I *can* have and when.  I'm really looking forward to turnip greens.  Luckily I'll be able to have them when they come up.  I can have fresh (cooked) asparagus this week and I'm totally excited about that. 

I got a little upset the other day though.  I'm still in the blended stage.  My parents were going out to eat and I really wanted to go with them just to get out of the house!  I couldn't think of anything I could eat where they were going so I stayed home.  That bummed me out big time.  But I know next week I can go eat at that same place if I want and there will be things I can eat. 

I'm terrified of going through all this just to go back to eating the way I was.  I'm trying really hard to think of this as the way I'll eat for the rest of my life.  We'll see how successful I am. 
  HW 347/SW 328/CW 176/GW 160                   

Karen O.
on 4/17/11 10:58 am - Weirton, WV
Thank you, Lora! Very well said! 

~Karen
HW - 340   SW - 320 (3/15/11)   CW - 225   GW - 150       
Kermit P.
on 4/17/11 11:48 am
I imagine this gets more difficult the further along you get but for me I just KNOW that I must follow my plan as I do NOT WANT TO GET SICK or injure my pouch.  For me, I need all of these restrictions and take this pretty darn seriously.  I agree with Lora that we need this time for detox but also to learn how to deal with life, emotions, feelings, etc WITHOUT turning to food.  I see some of the posts and think, wow, they had surgery around when I did and they are eating what??!!!???  But this is my journey and I am not here to judge others but to learn from others and hopefully make the changes I need to make this surgery as successful of a tool as possible for me.  I get very nervous trying new foods and am taking it slow......thanks for the reminder that this is a good thing......

HW/232       CW/145.2       GW/???
Rosanette
on 4/17/11 12:01 pm
Well said. I've only recently been able to eat salad with impunity. Today I had a lettuce, tomato and roasted soy bean salad with tuna fish that was delish. This is the first month that I've felt comfortable having that much lettuce. I was afraid of it because it caused my sister a lot of pain in her first 3-5 months past surgery. It's nice to be able to eat salads again. I've not had any full-fat ice cream yet either, though I've had cakes and cookies. I'm trying to add more veggies and fruits now, and hoping they will satisfy me some.

As a single footstep will not make a path on the earth, so a single thought will not make a pathway in the mind. To make a deep physical path, we will walk again and again. To make a deep mental path, we must think over and over again the kind of thoughts we wish to dominate our lives. -- Thoreau 

Most Active
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 52 replies · 456 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 48 replies · 524 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 40 replies · 509 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 396 views
Recent Topics