Concern over the number of posts asking how soon certain foods can be eaten

cajungirl
on 4/17/11 12:01 pm
I haven't read any of the responses yet but I'm going to because I'm interested in others thoughts.

What I wanted to say first though is I agree 100%.  I followed my surgeon's plan 99% of the time for the first year and I DO believe that is why I still have so much restriction and haven't experienced weight gain issues and fears like I see so many at 2-3-4+ years out.

Proximal RNY Lap - 02/21/05

9 years committed ~  100% EWL and Maintaining

www.dazzlinglashesandbeyond.com

Lady Lithia
on 4/17/11 12:18 pm
Me too! 

~Lady Lithia~ 200 lbs lost! 
March 9, 2011 - Coccygectomy!
I chased my dreams, and my dreams, they caught me!
giraffesmiley.gif picture by hardyharhar_bucket

happyhealing
on 4/17/11 12:12 pm
I know there a lot of posts like that, but I think that if we have people like you and others that simply say "eating pizza right now, is not a good reason because...."  Then people respect your knowledge and just want to know that some day they can have these things in moderation again.  The doctors have not been that great at post education, so I too, wonder some of the same things that people ask.  I think as time goes on and the weight comes off, people wont be eating pizza and ice cream because they will see results and feel better.  These people who ask have barely seen results.  I respect your answers and look forward to your posts when people ask questions and you respond.  The after care totally sucks, but I understand your position on this too.
janet2921
on 4/17/11 12:42 pm - Chicago, IL
I too have been concerned about those posts.  I am going to say the following, then I am finsihed.

It was a very long time before I considered eating "forbidden" foods.  I never considered that in my first year post op.

Folks must remember to be careful to avoid those old eating habits that contributed to obesity.  Otherwise they will quickly regain all the weight back following the honeymoon period of rapid weight loss.

Janet
"Respect the pouch & embrace the scale."

cent100

wendy_fou
on 4/17/11 1:16 pm - AR
AMEN!

I have actually thought this SEVERAL times and didn't have the time to put it all into words the way you have.

You are 100% correct in my opinion.

I remember asking my surgeon (BEFORE my surgery) how long after my surgery would I be ablet to eat "normally" again.  His response was "What's normal?"  The majority of americans are now overweight, obese or morbidly obese.  So "normal" for americans now is not too good. 

Thanks again for taking the time to voice my thoughts exactly on this subject!

Wen
seattledeb
on 4/17/11 3:40 pm
Of course a fabulous post and you put it all so eloquently.
What I wish..I wish I didn't know I could eat toast.  I'm very grateful I didn't eat it the first 18 months.
Deb T.

Lady Lithia
on 4/17/11 3:45 pm
You can eat toast!!! ???? 

Jeepers, that's done it.

Actually, bread does NOt sit well with me. it clogs up my stoma, gives me a belly ache, and leaves me with a two-day-flatulence-of-death reminder.

Which is probably good, as I really REALLY loved bread.

~Lady Lithia~ 200 lbs lost! 
March 9, 2011 - Coccygectomy!
I chased my dreams, and my dreams, they caught me!
giraffesmiley.gif picture by hardyharhar_bucket

neweyeswideopen
on 4/18/11 12:30 am - Cedar Rapids, IA
Yeah for OP! I'll never forget years ago someone posted when can they have a burrito from Taco Bell..I think the poster was less than a week out. I was shocked...WHY would she be asking this? If you really favor your damn burrito then you did this because??
"To dream, I must imagine pure joy, belive I can achieve perfection, and take pride in a life changing journey" - ME

Cleopatra_Nik
on 4/18/11 12:37 am - Baltimore, MD
THANK YOU LORA!!!

I feel like my good eating habits come from being super compliant at the beginning. I learned what is possible when you take those less beneficial foods OUT of the equation (anyone wondering what is possible, go read Bariatric Foodie. My recipes are pretty compliant while still being tasty and fun).

My grandmother always used to say, "if you do what you always did, you're gonna get what you always got." The same is true for this process. THIS IS NOT THE EASY WAY OUT. You DO need to change your habits. You DO need to form a new relationship with food and you DO need to prove to yourself that you are WORTH the effort you put into yourself. One way of proving that is to do the unthinkable...the impossible...to overcome temptation and make a choice SIMPLY because it's the BEST choice for YOU.
neweyeswideopen
on 4/18/11 12:46 am - Cedar Rapids, IA
Totally agree Nik, and I'm still a pre-op. Surgeon stated that I was one of the most prepared patients he's ever seen. My biggest goal is not to get to 120 lbs...my biggest goal is to be a model patient and be 100 percent compliant.
"To dream, I must imagine pure joy, belive I can achieve perfection, and take pride in a life changing journey" - ME

Most Active
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 27 replies · 362 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 332 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 16 replies · 195 views
What?s on tap for this Saturday?
Melody P. · 4 replies · 116 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 16 replies · 195 views