Vitamin Help!

VictoriaA
on 4/20/11 6:27 am
My surgeons office is having me take bariatric fusion vitamins. I hear that is not all that I need.  I also hear that I need B12 Shots or patches or something? Please tell me there is something other than shots! I need advice!

Thanks
Victoria
Ladytazz
on 4/20/11 6:40 am
I have no idea what's in your vitamins but you do need to get in B12.  You can take sublinguals.  They sell them at Walmart.  I think you need 1000ml a day.  Someone else may have the numbers.  Also, you need to make sure you get in at least 1500 mg of calcium citrate a day.  You are probably going to need dry D, too.  If you haven't already, have it checked because most people are deficient in D.
Here is a good website to learn about the vitamin needs of WLS patients.
http://wlsvitagarten.com/

WLS 10/28/2002 Revision 7/23/2010

High Weight  (2002) 240 Revision Weight (2010) 220 Current Weight 115.

poet_kelly
on 4/20/11 7:39 am - OH
We can't absorb B12 that we swallow.  If you don't want to do shots, do a sublingual - it dissolves under your tongue.

But you need EIGHT Bariatric Fusion a day, not four.  And that  may not be enough calcium citrate.

My advice, really, is to ditch the Bariatric Fusion and get a good multi with 100% of the RDA of things in it, as recommended by the ASMBS.  Take two a day, along with 1500 mg calcium citrate, iron and B12, as recommended by the ASMBS. 

If you wonder why your doc recommends something different, ask him.  It's a good question.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

VictoriaA
on 4/20/11 10:12 am
Kelly

What kind of vitamins are you taking,,,what do you recommend?

Thanks
Victoria
Lady Lithia
on 4/20/11 11:06 am
I'm not Kelly, but I'll respond

I take a Multivitamin in the morning (Walgreens One-A-Day-Women's)
I also take 500 mg calcium citrate (citracal, not petites)

Throughout the day I also get in another 1000 mg calcium citrate through UpCalD (a powder I add to my protein shakes)

I take another multivitamin later in the day

I also take 5,000 iu DRY D3 that I got through Vitalady.com
2,500 mcg sublingual B12 that I got at Costco

Magnesium oxide (I think, I get so confused)

B-complex also

I should also take Iron and Vitamin C at night before bed. I'm NOT so good at the iron part of this, and I MUST get better.

~Lady Lithia~ 200 lbs lost! 
March 9, 2011 - Coccygectomy!
I chased my dreams, and my dreams, they caught me!
giraffesmiley.gif picture by hardyharhar_bucket

poet_kelly
on 4/20/11 11:38 am - OH
Can you keep the iron and C by your bed so it's easy to take as you're getting in bed?  Or by the sink so you can take before or after you brush your teeth?  I have found keeping my vites in the best places to be one of the best ways to make sure I get them in.

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Lady Lithia
on 4/20/11 11:57 am
I have to get a different iron. The RESULTS of taking the iron are what makes me skip it I know it is NOT a good thing to skip it, but the GI issues that result (ONE dose and I have bathroom issues for a WEEK).... while I was home I tried it with Colace, MOM, AND Miralax and it was marginally better.... but still not acceptable.

It always results in such an AWFUL experience.... I just have a hard time even CONSIDERING spending money on anything else.

I need to see what choices are available, figure out what I've been taking, and what might be better, and choose something that might be kinder/gentler to my body. My GI doc tells me to not even bother, he honestly doesn't think supplementation is worthwhile.... "some people absorb iron from their food, and some don't, and if you don't, all the supplements in the world won't change anything, you will need infusions".... and since my numbers are always good, I haven't tried very hard to experiment on things that might MIGHT work.

I need to make an appt. with my PCP, get that list of labs, bring it with me, and get a REALLY good vision of my numbers, see if they are STILL good, and if they are tanking, I will work on supplementation.

And for the record, my PCP expects me to have issues with my iron, he checks it almost every time I see him, because his wife had serious issues with hers.... but every time he checks it  he is shocked at how good those numbers are (and I haven't gotten all those records no, but I do believe my doc is on my side and educated in these issues)

poet_kelly
on 4/20/11 12:01 pm - OH
What kind of iron are you taking?  Or were you taking?  Carbonyl doesn't cause GI issues for most people but it does for some.  If you can't tolerate it, I'd invest in some heme iron.  Costly, but probably not more expensive that another type of iron plus colace, plus miralax, plus MOM.

Lady Lithia
on 4/20/11 12:16 pm
Carbonyl it is .... Feosol

poet_kelly
on 4/20/11 12:24 pm - OH
I'd try heme, then.  See if you can find someone that uses it that can send you four or five doses so you don't have to buy a whole bottle until you know if it works better for you.

Most Active
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 29 replies · 289 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 211 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 16 replies · 280 views
What?s on tap for this Saturday?
Melody P. · 4 replies · 144 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 211 views