Will food get stuck forever??

mom2boyz75
on 4/28/11 4:10 am - Ironwood, MI
Hi there. I am 6 weeks post op. I know I need to chew like crazy and take small bites and eat SLOW, but sometimes I am not as careful...accidentally...and of course food gets stuck. First of all, I'm wondering why it gets stuck up in my chest instead of lower, but most of all, I'm just wondering if this gets better in time. Sometimes I can chew and chew and chew and it still gets stuck, for example, yesterday when I was eating watermelon (surgeon said no raw veggies and fruit other than melon at this stage)...I chewed really well, but still the little threads in it kept it from really being broken up enough, and yes, I noticed that after I threw it up. Sometimes I'm glad that I have this issue because I am aware of what I'm eating and how much, but lately I feel like a damn bulemic! Other than papaya enzyme, how do you all get through this and does it ever get better?

Lisa ~  Mommy to 3 handsome little devils!    Reese (8)     Caden (4)    Grady (1)

***    Type 1 diabetic for 31 years and counting...   ***   

cajungirl
on 4/28/11 4:43 am
How often are you getting that stuck feeling?  My suggestion is call your surgeon, it may be that you have the beginning of a stricture which will make it hard for food to pass through the stoma.  It could potentially get worse and you may not even be able to get liquids down.

Getting stuc****assionally happens but it shouldn't be something that occurs regularly.

Proximal RNY Lap - 02/21/05

9 years committed ~  100% EWL and Maintaining

www.dazzlinglashesandbeyond.com

psx chelly
on 4/28/11 4:54 am, edited 4/28/11 4:55 am

I still get the same thing and my surgery was Jan 31st. 2011

I did a swallow test for my Dr and he saw nothign out of the ordinary.

Its gotten to the point where I just avoid those foods cause it happens no matter how much I chew it.  I also still cant drin**** water, which was my fav thing after working in the veggie garden on a hot day...  summer is going to suck.

So, i guess if it keeps up, make sure you tell your Dr, and he can do a swallow test.

H.A.L.A B.
on 4/28/11 4:57 am
almost 3 years post op - I get food stuck very seldom. But when that happen - o boy... it hurts..
But... it is always the same food for last 2 years. There is some food that my body can't process. i.e.raw carrots.  I can have 1-2 baby carrots. more than that - it gets stuck every time no matter how well I chew it. Same with apple's skin. A bite is fine, but if I want the whole apple - I need to peal that. But... I have no problem with steak, chicken, any meats - as long as I chew it well.. (moderately well). Now pasta - no way. Gets stuck every time.  And it hurts. 
if I do not chew my meats  or veggies well -they get stuck too. But I learn not to do that...lol..

good luck...

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 4/28/11 5:00 am - OH
I agree about talking to your surgeon.  I have never had ANYTHING get stuck... not ever... and you certainly should not be having things get stuck on a regular basis.

As to why it gets stuck in your chest instead of lower, it is because your pouch is made from the very top portion of your stomach, right where the esopagus ends, so that is in the area right under your ribs. 

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

MarilynT
on 4/28/11 5:06 am
I am almost 10 years post op and I still occasionally get something stuck (usually shrimp).

And it feels like it is in your chest because you'd be surprised how high up in your abdomen your stomach really sits....pretty much between your boobs but slightly off to the side.

Marilyn (now in NM)
RNY 10/2/01
262(HW)/150-155(GW)/159(CW)
(updated March 2012)

poet_kelly
on 4/28/11 9:21 am - OH
I've never had anything get stuck and all I do is chew well.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Missy1975
on 4/28/11 10:53 am - Graham, NC
Hey girly!  At 6 months out I've gotten things stuck about 4 or 5 times.  Mostly eating too fast or too much :(  Twice I was able to avoid barfing by going out and walking around the block at a fast pace.  The other times it didn't help...had to come up :(   I hope it gets better for you.  I would've thought you'd have been safe with watermelon :(
Melissa

Most Active
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 27 replies · 362 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 332 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 16 replies · 195 views
What?s on tap for this Saturday?
Melody P. · 4 replies · 116 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Tuesday Menu?