3 weeks post-op...going out to a restaurant?

Christine428
on 4/28/11 10:03 am, edited 4/28/11 10:03 am
We're meeting friends tomorrow for dinner and I'm wondering what's a good restaurant to go to and what to order? We have most of the big chain restaurants around here, fridays, applebees, chilis, outback, red lobster, etc. I'm still on pureed foods til next tuesday btw.

poet_kelly
on 4/28/11 10:06 am - OH
I ate my first pureed meal at a restaurant -  mashed potatoes.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

qnmimi
on 4/28/11 10:06 am - Cottage Grove, MN
Anything that serves a soup. I've also heard that some restaurants will puree things for you...are you on softs, or still puree? If you have an idea of where you might be going, check out their menus online, and choose the better restaurant that suits your plan. Can't hurt to call ahead for a special request.

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 4/28/11 10:08 am, edited 4/28/11 10:09 am - OH
If you're still on pureed foods, that's going to be tough. Soup might be your best bet, but beware the cream soups because they often have a very high fat content (real cream or lots of butter) in restaurants (and might make you VERY ill). Same goes for restaurant mashed potatoes... so be sure to ASK.

I didn't have to do purees, so my first eating out experience was easier and I don;t have other suggestions, but I wanted to warn you about the soup and potatoes.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

fickleme
on 4/28/11 11:07 am - Bessemer City, NC
We went to Outback last night... I am 3 weeks out and on soft foods... I ordered the chicken, spinach, and artichoke flatbread thingy and only ate the toppings off of 2 of the 8 slices... It was good and went down easy... Hope this helps
Barbara M.
on 4/28/11 11:25 am - IL
I went out several times. Actually, I'm still on pretty soft foods. But I pretty much ate a few bites off my companion's plates - soft French Fries or potato wedges, cheezy potatoes which I mashed with my fork, cottage cheese, refried beans with cheese, Mac 'n cheese, sherbet, peas I mashed with my fork, scrambled egg, small bite of shrimp and fish which I chewed on as long as I could, etc.

You can only eat 2 oz which is only 1/4 cup. So, its not very good nutrition for the most part but its only 1 meal out of many and you are going to be with your friends. I was amazed how I could play with my food instead of eating and concentrating on my friends instead. Enjoy your self (and your friends), Barbara
Barbara 
RNY 3/21/2011  Dr. Marshall, OSF Surgical Center, Peoria, IL
Koko M.
on 4/28/11 12:09 pm - Albany, CA
Any Mexican place can probably serve up a side of refried beans with a little melted cheese on top.
Still a big fave for me, and good protein too.

Koko   

HW-291 :: 1st WLS consult-281 :: Surgery-263 ::  GW-154 :: CW-151 :: In my dreams - 138

Tessie W.
on 4/28/11 12:15 pm
Here's some of the things I have gotten in resturants (but I should had I have a very cooperative pouch when I chew well and eat slowly)  Granted I had enough on my plate for three to four meals, but it felt great to be able to eat out!

baked fish  (I personally hate Tilapia so I go for haddock or cod or something like that)
egg salad on toast - and when I was really early out I jsut ask for a scoop of egg salad
cottage cheese
a baked potato (I put a bit of butter on it - I don't have issues with a bitof fat)
new england clam chowder (I don't like Manhattan and I am supposed to avoid tomatoes)
tuna salad - jus****ch out for relish in egg and tuna salad

Enjoy!

Most Active
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 29 replies · 321 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 242 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 16 replies · 302 views
What's on your Saturday menu??
Amy Liz · 4 replies · 75 views
Recent Topics