Is Mexican food ok only once in a while

soldierzgirl36
on 5/5/11 3:48 am - WA
I have not eaten out one time since surgery. I dont really have the desire to but inlaws are comming in and they always want to go out to eat mexican. They only visit once a year or so, and I hate to not go. Just wanted to know if maybe a beef enchalada with the white caso/goat cheese is ok. I prob could not even eat one, maybe half. Just asking.......

SOLDIERZGIRL

msjkk2020
on 5/5/11 3:54 am - Eufaula, OK
Well, I doubt your nose will fall off or anything like that.....the cheese has protein and so does the beef, of course it is going to have fat calories but I don't think one time will cause any major catastrophies unless the grease upsets your tummy a little....I would do it...

Katiebell07
on 5/5/11 4:03 am - FL
 I would say no it's ok. other may flame me but make sure for the rest of the day you aren't eating high calorie foods!! We had this surgery to be like "normal" people when we eat so id say if its once in awhile go for it! =) I know i couldnt do the shell part but id tear up some meat and cheese! lol
Deedles
on 5/5/11 3:58 am, edited 5/5/11 3:58 am - Highlands, TX
I would say no, not at this time. You're barely a month out. If you haven't eaten out anywhere yet, you probably don't know how your body will react to the fats and carbs in the cheese and tortillas. Some folks dump big time on fats instead of sugar. Plus you don't need the extra calories and carbs right now. A better choice would be a serving of refried beans with a bit of cheese and sour cream on top. If someone at the table gets fajotas, snag one piece to go with your beans! I'm over 19mo out and I still can't handle enchiladas! The tortillas swell up like a sponge, even just a couple of bites and I'm miserable. Later on when you're more aware of how your body will react, and are tolerating meats very well, the insides of chicken enchiladas is a good choice....IF the chicken isn't too dry. I still stay away from chicken breasts because of that, especially away from home. Getting something stuck out in public isn't fun!!

Good luck...and enjoy their company instead of the food!
Dee ..... ><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸><((((º>
My new G.O.A.L. ~~~~ Get Out And Live!

Includes 61lbs lost before surgery

eliana
on 5/5/11 4:02 am
 Ask your nutritionist  if you are able to eat certain things, like spicy, etc. since your surgery was fairly recent. That said, many Mexican restaurants offer seafood, like sauteed shrimp, grilled fish tacos. I eat the grilled fish tacos all the time, I just avoid eating most of the tortilla, eat the fish and cabbage and salsa. Also, pork chile verde can be good, usually it is lean cubes of pork in a mild green sauce. Just think outside the box from the usual enchilada, taco tostada and you will probably find something new and great on the menu. 

15 lbs lost prior to surgery. 260 HW/ 245 SW/ 160 Current/ 130 Goal!        
Cecelia B.
on 5/5/11 5:34 am - St Louis, MO
I agree, ask the nutritionist.  If she thinks you are far enough out then one meal won't hurt you.  Just manage the rest of your day.

Here is a few tips I learned.  Ask for a to go box with you food.  Cut every thing down and take the rest home for family.  Stay away from the tortilla, ask for fish taco or beef shredded and unroll it eat insides only.  No sour cream, etc.  I ate pintos and cheese but only a couple of bites.  Salsa on the meat is filling without a load of calories.

Restaurant always serve way too much food.  Just stay with a few bites.  The hardest part for me was the no liquids thing.

Good Luck

Starting wt. March/ 2010  385lbs
Surgery wt.  Sept/2010     322lbs
Current wt.  Sept/2013     204lbs

BobbeJoJo
on 5/5/11 4:07 am
Plain pinto beans and rice with a bit of cheese and mild salsa has worked for me and it has a lot of protein.  It all depends on what you order.

Dining out is mostly hard for me because I have to quit eating after about 4 bites and everyone else is still eating.  I feel like the odd man out.

Also for me there's just no telling what will work and what won't.  I have learned that I am never sorry that I ate too little because you can always eat more later.  I am very sorry when I have that "extra bite".  

Another problem with restaurants is that you just don't know what kind of sugar and fats they are cooking with and most of the time the wait staff can't tell you because they really don't know the answer. 

My program suggested we not eat out for 6 months but that is just not condusive with my lifestyle so I have learned to appreciate soup and small bites and sharing food with others.    

Highest weight: 331 (4/13/10), Entered Bariatric Program: 320 (9/7/10), Pre-Surgery Goal: 310, Day of Surgery: 307 (2/15/11), Current Weight: 171 (5/12/12). 5'5". I am overweight now!
soldierzgirl36
on 5/5/11 4:14 am - WA
Thanks for the replys :) I am 8 weeks and 3 days out. And feel pretty good, but never over portion and stay extra low on sugar due to dumping. It happened once and I will do everything for that to never happen again:)

SOLDIERZGIRL

DComstock2010
on 5/5/11 4:43 am - CA
ceviche or the shrimp ****tail might be a better option.
RNY- 2/18/2011

DComstock2010
on 5/5/11 4:46 am - CA
LOL. I always wondered why the ***** kept showing on certial posts. Then It showed on mine. Now I get it. Sorry, just had to share my ah ha moment.
RNY- 2/18/2011

Most Active
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 27 replies · 358 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 328 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 16 replies · 187 views
What?s on tap for this Saturday?
Melody P. · 4 replies · 113 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Tuesday Menu?