need a trail mix recipe

mrs.berry
on 5/17/11 6:08 am, edited 5/17/11 6:15 am

my family and i are going to walt disney world for christmas and i would love to make a homemade trail mix that is low in carbs and sugar (i so do not want to dump). does anyone have a recipe???

RNY Gastric Bypass 1/14/11
SW 276.5
GW 150 - met 12/11!!! 
Pregnant w/ #1 due 4/9/13
mrs.berry
on 5/17/11 6:16 am
or ideas of what to put in a low carb / low sugar homemade trail mix???
RNY Gastric Bypass 1/14/11
SW 276.5
GW 150 - met 12/11!!! 
Pregnant w/ #1 due 4/9/13
(deactivated member)
on 5/17/11 6:19 am
I make something I lovingly refer to as my "colon blast" that some other people have started using too. I mix a bowl every week: 3 cups of Fiber One cereal (original kind); a little less than 1 cup of dark chocolate chips (you may find it easier to handle the dark chocolate than the semi-sweet); and 1/2 cup of roasted almonds. This has about 175 calories in 1/2 cup.
lynnc99
on 5/17/11 6:50 am
Sounds good but....not sure I would recommend anything called "colon blast" for a trip to Disney World! LOL!
lynnc99
on 5/17/11 6:54 am
I would use roasted almonds, peanuts, a few raisins, a few dried cherries or cranberries, and sunflower seeds.

However, those dried fruits can be very concentrated sources of sugar, so be sure you can tolerate them.

One friend recommends cutting up a protein bar into bite sized slices, and carrying this in a ziploc snack bag. Might be a good alternative if you find the carbs simply too high in a trail mix type concoction!
nomoresugar
on 5/17/11 7:11 am, edited 5/17/11 7:12 am
here is some useful information.  I googled    recipe low carb trail mix   there were other sites you can check out

http://lowcarbdiets.about.com/od/snacks/a/lowcarbtrailmix.htm

You could also add some high protein cereal to the mix.  I think special K high protein is fine without milk or sweetner and would be good in a snack mix.
DeeNadj
on 5/17/11 7:49 am - Malmstrom AFB, MT
This might not be what you had in mind, but I think you'll love it. I make granola for my  triath hubby - it's made with agave nectar instead of honey, so it's low glycemic index and tastes WONDERFUL.

1.5 C rolled oats
1/2 C wheat germ
1/2 C agave nectar (light or dark, whichever you prefer)
1 C almonds (slivered or chopped lightly) - use any nut you want or leave them out
1 C craisins or other dried fruit (TOTALLY OPTIONAL)

Line a large cookie sheet with parchment paper. Mix ingredients in a large bowl and dump onto the cookie sheet, pressing into a 1" thick layer. Bake in a 300 degree oven for 10mins, then take it out and use the back of wooden spoon to break it up into "grabbable" pieces (not too small). Bake another 10mins, or until well browned.  Using the parchment paper, slide the whole thing onto a cooling rack and let cool completely.

This is a totally adaptable recipe that gets crunchier as time goes on, and is NOT STICKY (once it's baked). The ONLY fat is from the almonds or whatever nut you use (no oil). You can break it into smaller pieces and it is perfect with yogurt (like a parfait topping). My children love it too.
Dee
RNY March 21, 2011!! I'm feeling great!!
Busy Mommy of 4, Proud USAF Wife, Quilter, and TRIATHLETE!!               
nomoresugar
on 5/17/11 8:48 am

1/2 cup agave nectar is the same as any real sugar.  If you dump, you won't want to use it.

DeeNadj
on 5/17/11 9:02 am - Malmstrom AFB, MT
I can't say for everybody, but honey makes me dump HUGE, and agave nectar does not. I haven't tried real sugar (for obvious reasons). I can use it in place of artificial sweetener too. Like I said, I can't speak for everybody, but this stuff works for me.
Dee
RNY March 21, 2011!! I'm feeling great!!
Busy Mommy of 4, Proud USAF Wife, Quilter, and TRIATHLETE!!               
LogansMommy
on 5/17/11 9:52 am - Marietta, GA
1 part sunflower kernals (salted or unsalted)
1 part dried fruit (smaller pieces welchs' makes a nice blend with blueberries, raisins, cherries etc)
1 part protein granola (like bare naked)

I keep this in the Mommy bag most days for snacking at the ballfield, we had it at Disney and we have it after school running errands...
Plus, my school is nut free, so I can have this mix with me. I actually use another brand of granola and it has pumpkin seeds in it and it has more protein!

My husband dumps pretty easily and this does not cause him to, plus our son has no idea how healthy it is! I do want to add dried apple chips this week; I have been in an apple kick lately!

Cheri
Most Active
Recent Topics