rny or sleeve

maxie1
on 5/19/11 11:00 am - PA
RNY on 06/10/13

Hi,

can anyone give me their opinion on which surgery seems to be the best.. i am a diabetic, asthma, high blood pressure, and high cholesterol?  going back and forth between the two with insurance.  thanks for the input.

susan

susan                                                                                                
ahmerzrealm
on 5/19/11 11:31 am - Naperville, IL
The main thing that turned me off about the sleeve was that it could stretch (more readily than a pouch) and render the procedure useless. As for the comorbities, diabetes seems to resolve itself within a few weeks of the surgery. That was the primary reason I got the surgery My cholesterol and high blood pressure were resloved within 12 weeks of surgery

So, if you are looking to get rid of diabetes then RNY would fit the bill. Make sure you discuss this with your surgeon before you make up your mind.

maxie1
on 5/19/11 11:35 am - PA
RNY on 06/10/13
thanks i was going with the sleeve but insurance will only precert it as outpatient and they want 1400.00 down for coinsurance.  If I have a procedure inpatient it will only be 250.00 deductible.. I dont know what to do.
susan                                                                                                
ahmerzrealm
on 5/19/11 11:44 am - Naperville, IL
i would go over all the pro's and con's with your surgeon.  He/she is the only one that is intimately aware of your specific weight loss needs and will give you the very best advice.  I can tell you to go with the RNY but I would be very biased since that is what worked for me. Whats good for me may not translate to whats good for you.

Do not rush to judgement. I took over 2 years to reach my decision. This decision is going to impact you till the last day you live. Dont let the money sway you one way or the other.

maxie1
on 5/19/11 11:46 am - PA
RNY on 06/10/13

thanks for the input I appreciate it.

Susan

susan                                                                                                
Lorrainecma
on 5/19/11 12:02 pm
Both seem to work very well. There are some ppl I've seen on here that seem to do very well with the sleeve.

Personally for me, I wanted RnY. With Rny your diabetes is usually reversed almost immediately. i'm not sure about with the sleeve, but if you post on the main board you may get more feedback.

A LOT of ppl on here prefer DS. I don't know if that is something that you have considered. The success rate seems to be higher with DS from what I have read, but the malabsorption rate is much higher also.

Good luck with any choice that you make.
jkay05
on 5/19/11 1:50 pm
I am pre surg so not sure how much I should even be commenting.lol But from what I understand if you have bad acid reflux or gerd...the sleeve will not help it at all and make worse? So that is why I am going with rny.

(deactivated member)
on 5/19/11 2:25 pm, edited 5/19/11 2:34 pm
I just wanted to say something about the sleeve and stretching.  The part of the stomach that is left behind is the non stretchy toughest part.  The docs say the most you will ever be able to eat is 6 ounces, for life.  However, I know many sleevers who are 3-4 years out and can only eat 3-4 ounces.  I am 7 months out and can eat 3-4 ounces.  Stretching is minimal.

Most Active
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 29 replies · 321 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 242 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 16 replies · 302 views
What's on your Saturday menu??
Amy Liz · 4 replies · 75 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Saturday menu??
Amy Liz · 4 replies · 75 views