I want to learn to like fish

hedrider
on 5/24/11 2:42 am - Midlothian, TX
I have an aversion to fish, but I want to try to get over that.  Baby steps.  What should I try and where should I start?

My husband thought he would be helpful and made what he decided would be a yummy salmon dish.  I couldn't even stomach the smell of it cooking, let alone bring myself to try eating it!

Something mild in flavor, something to break me in slowly.  I have an aversion to the texture of shrimp and lobster as well... but if I can break through the fish barrier I think I can conquer that as well.

I used to eat it when I was little, but somewhere along the way I associated getting sick once with eating fish and haven't been able to since.

But it's such a lean protein source I have to give it a try!
Heather
Since 2008 my team has raised over $42,000 to fight breast cancer.

keepitoff91
on 5/24/11 2:51 am
Tilapia is a good choice.  It isn't "fishy" smelling and is very tender.  Maybe try and make some fish tacos?   Tilapia responds very well to seasoning, it takes on flavors well.

sandtran
on 5/24/11 2:53 am - NC
I bake a lot of tilapia. Just sprinkle it with some lemon pepper and bake for about 12-15 minutes on 375. It does have a mild flavor, not fishy smelling, or it shouldn't be anyway!
Kim S.
on 5/24/11 3:00 am - Helena, AL
Tuna steak, grouper, ahi--all good heavier meat fishes.  If it is good and fre**** should not be fishy.  The salmon (my fave) is probably one of the strongest flavored fishes and not the best place to start.

If you order tuna out, know ahead that it is usually just seared (the center is raw).  I always have mine cooked thoroughly.

I also always cook my fish blackened...but I am cajun so I like it spicy!!

Kim

psx chelly
on 5/24/11 3:08 am

Stick with light, white colored fish.. they are less fishy tasting.  Fish like Whitefish, Talapia, Perch  or Cod, if seasoned nicely taste really yum... Cod loins are cut pretty thick, so try to get Cod fillets.

Salmon is the worst fish you start out with to introduce yourself to fish.  Its thick and meaty like tuna and has a distinct smell.  If not cooked properly, fish like tuna and Salmon (or any pink fish for that matter) can really dry out and taste like crap.

what I would do, is go to Acme, or Albertsons or wherever you shop.  Hopefully they have a seafood counter, and ask for a small cod fillet.  Get some aluminum foil, spring onions(the long greened stem onions), and lemon pepper.  Put the fillet on the aluminum foil, put a skinny sprinkle of EVOO on top, sprinkle some lemon pepper on it, then cut the spring onions up into tiny pieces and sprinkle them on top.  roll up the aluminum foil like you make a pouch with the fish inside.  Then bake it until it flakes apart and is a bright white.  Shouldn't take more than 15ish mins.  Fish cooks fast, especially if you steam it.

H.A.L.A B.
on 5/24/11 3:45 am
I like fish. A lot. But I hate the smell of cooking fish.
You may start by eating some fish when out - and salmon is too strong to start with IMO.  Some days - when I am really sensitive to smells - can't eat it - even though I love it.

You may start by you and your DH ordering 2 dishes- 1 - with some white fish.  The other - what  ever you guys like. The split. That way - you may be able to learn taht fish taste good - just sometimes the smell would bother you.
I love to cook my fish outside.  I do not have then to smell it in the house for ever... (days).

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

hedrider
on 5/24/11 4:58 am - Midlothian, TX
Do you cook it on the grill,in the aluminum foil packets like mentioned above?  I think I could eat it if I could get past the smell...
Heather
Since 2008 my team has raised over $42,000 to fight breast cancer.

H.A.L.A B.
on 5/24/11 5:27 am
I cook mine on the grill if I can. wrapped in aluminum foil. Or if I want to be supper "healthy" I wrap the fish in parchment paper. Then wrap it in aluminum foil. That way - I can use acid on my fish (lemon, tomato, etc.) and no aluminum will react to that.

Try the following: 2 slices lemon, place a piece of white fish on top of that, then top the fish with some salt and 1-2 Tbs of good salsa. Wrap in parchment paper, then aluminum and grill for 10-15 min. (in oven, or in toaster over, or on the grill.)  The acid in lemon and tomatoes will cut on the smell.. and fishy taste. 

As a child I had severe allergy to fish. But as I found out as I was growing out of it, that I was allergic to fish toxins. The smelly fishy smell - is the decaying fish. Even now - if the fish is really smelly, or taste "funny"... I can't swallow it even if I really try to. My esophagus closes.  Not for good, but it will not allow me to eat that.     Funny how our body tries to protect itself.

i.e. can't eat herrings.  They make me sick..

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Mary B.
on 5/24/11 3:50 am - Southern, MD

Im funny about fish too. I dont like alot of fish, but I love shellfish...crabs, crab legs, shrimp, scallops, etc.

Im not a fan of salmon unless its shashimi or smoked. Tuna to me...belongs shredded in a sandwich with mayo.

Cod is really good. Its light, but meaty and you can do alot with it. I like to pan sear it. Drizzle with a little EVOO, Old Bay, lightly salt and pepper (especially with the Old Bay) then just sear it in a hot pan for 2 minutes or so on each side. Cooks pretty fast.

I like it seared for color and a little texture. Im not big on poached fish, just as I wouldnt like poached chicken or steak. I need color.

If you are just starting with it, maybe lightly dredge in panko bread crumbs for some extra texture?

Banded Feb 23, 2009 / Revision to RNY Aug 25, 2010

cajungirl
on 5/24/11 4:01 am, edited 5/24/11 4:01 am
Tilapia is one of the mildest fish I've found.  Salmon is a strong smelling fish definitely wouldn't recommend it to anyone that doesn't like fish.  Mai Mai is also a good fish, although it is more expensive.

Proximal RNY Lap - 02/21/05

9 years committed ~  100% EWL and Maintaining

www.dazzlinglashesandbeyond.com

Most Active
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 52 replies · 454 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 48 replies · 523 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 40 replies · 507 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 394 views