big liver

Anna M.
on 5/27/11 10:44 am - Manchester, NH
I had to get an ultrasound so my dr made sure my liver wasn't too big to do surgery. I also went on full liquids for two weeks pre op as part of their program.

* Starting weight: 383 * Day of Surgery: 363 * Ticker includes weight lost pre-op *
princessfrogee
on 5/27/11 3:14 pm - AL
You would think that would just be a given requirement before they go cut into you in the first place!  I was wondering that the other day if they would be able to tell by ultrasound or labwork. 

"When you know better, you do better." ~Maya Angelou~

BW 334.4 / CW: 227 / GW 180             
merlinda
on 5/27/11 11:05 am
I too was nervous about my liver being too big, and much to the disagreement with other members of the board, my surgeon is a firm contender that the liver is only an issue with people who have extremely high BMI's 50+. Again, many members on this board disagree with my surgeon. I too was on a low carb, low fat diet that I followed for my meals, but toward the end, I had something I wanted everyday. I wasn't binging and I was making a conscious decision to eat the things I wanted. It was almost like a ritual as I made my peace with my new life to come. I had some guilt, but now, I am thankful I allowed myself that process. Just my own personal experience.

Tammy G.
on 5/27/11 12:28 pm
RNY on 06/16/11 with
 Come talk to us in the June surgeries!  You can do this!  The pre-op diet is essential at higher weights--it will make your surgery and recovery easier.  Get all the crap you aren't supposed to eat out of the house.  Make use of the daily food log here on OH.  Figure out why you are being triggered to eat what you shouldn't be eating and find some way to cope with those feelings besides eating crap.  

Last night I was craving chips and dip like crazy.  I sliced some cucumber really thin, like chips and mixed a package of ranch dressing mix with a cup of plain yogurt.  It wasn't chip and dip, but it satisfied the craving and it didn't mess up my pre-op diet.  Sometimes you have to improvise.

http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/06-2011/4391952/Why-the-Pre-Op-Diets-are-Important-and-how-they-work/

tinkerbaby
on 5/27/11 1:12 pm - NY
I just had my surgery done on May 18th. They required us to do a 9 day shakes and liquid diet to shrink the liver. I followed it right to the "t" not one lil cheat.... I was too scared to. And when I had my surgery... the 1st words they said to my mother when they were finished with the surgery was that I had a large liver.. and they debated doing it. But they did and everything worked out. I would just follow what ur supposed to do... becuz it is serious. I am just very thankful my surgeon finished the job before sewing me back up. My highest weight was 326 and the day of surgery I weighed 285. I am 1 1/2 weeks out... and havent lost a pound! Hoping this kicks in soon   Good luck with ur surgery.... And let us know how everything went pls!

mdolan20
on 5/28/11 1:06 am - Brick, NJ
My BMI was like 67 or 68...I was a horrible pre-op patient and really didn't follow the diet until about a week or so before...luckily he said everything was fine.
Melissa HW:350 SW:333 CW:234 GW:128

KM724
on 5/28/11 1:46 am
mdolan..... wow, really??? my bmi is 55. I started the diet on monday, and i've cheated a couple times. Did you have yours lap or open? I plan on sticking to the diet from now on, but I mite cheat over the weekend because of all the bbq's i'm going to. I just keep thinking how i'm never gonna eat this stuff again. Did your surgeon do a ultrasound before hand to check on ur liver or no?? were you scared that ur liver was going to be too big to to the surgery since you really didnt follow the preop diet?? I'm scared but i just cant help it..

Mommy to the 3 most beautiful little boys in the world...... This is all for you guys (:
HW 311  SW 298  CW 255  GW 180

facethemusic
on 5/28/11 1:52 am
It's normal to mourn food and have food funerals, but the pre-op diet is there not only to shrink your liver.  If you can follow the diet pre-op you will be more likely to be able to stick to the plan after surgery.  There are studies that link pre-op diet success to more successful outcomes after surgery.  I'll try to find the links later when I'm not on my phone. 

It bothers me that you say you might cheat over the weekend.   I don't understand rationalizing going against your surgeon's wishes.  Why plan something like that?  IMO it's just setting you up for failure.  I did my 2 weeks on the pre-op diet and I'm glad I had the chance to change my eating habits before I had surgery.  Did I cheat?  Once.  I realized afterward that food wasn't worth risking my life on the operating table.  If my liver wasn't small enough I was at risk to be opened up and then not have surgery.  Even if they could do it with a larger liver you are at more risks for complications.  If they nick your liver during surgery the outcome could be disastrous.  

If you are really worried about your liver ask your surgeon if an ultrasound is possible.  If you absolutely feel like you have to eat something at the BBQ's try to stick to something on your plan, something high in protein, low sugar and low carbs. 
 HW-240, SW-233, CW-158, GW 135 @ 5'3.5"
RNY April 2011, Reversal August 2011.  
I still have a pouch so I'm a hybrid.

KM724
on 5/28/11 3:10 am

I know that I will be successful after surgery because I am way to afraid of getting sick, foamies, dumping, vomitting, all of that to mess up what my plan tells me to do. I know that being scared like that will keep me in check. my surgeon already gave me a ultrasound and that is how he told me my liver in enlarged. you are def rite, i am going to try and make some good decisions at the BBQ's. i'll eat a cheese burger w no bun and maybe a deviled egg or 2. I dont want you to think i'm setting my self up for failure cuz that is def not true. i want to succeed at this more than anything.

Mommy to the 3 most beautiful little boys in the world...... This is all for you guys (:
HW 311  SW 298  CW 255  GW 180

mdolan20
on 5/28/11 1:59 am - Brick, NJ
Mine was laproscopic...I didn't have an ultrasound...I was SOOO worried...I even thought "should I even have this surgery if I am so out of control?" But I did and although I'm in a stall, I'm so glad I did it. Now, that said, I had a dr. previous to this that wanted me to lose 60lbs and I just gave up I was just in a BAD place...another dr. reccomended Dr. Barao and here I am one year later, 6 weeks post-op!
Melissa HW:350 SW:333 CW:234 GW:128

Most Active
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 29 replies · 318 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 236 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 16 replies · 299 views
What's on your Saturday menu??
Amy Liz · 4 replies · 72 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Saturday menu??