Why "diet" after RNY?

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 5/28/11 6:29 am - OH
Because for most people it simply isn't necessary.  There are a number of surgeons who have their pateints go straight to very soft foods while still in the hospital or very shortly thereafter and the vast majority of their patients have no trouble whatsoever.  I have seen SO many people get so upset because they have to go so long without eating... and struggle so much to get enough protein in while on liquids only or puress... and that kind of torture really just is not necessary for most people.  (Yes, there are some who have a hard time when they go to soft foods, but there asctaully SEEM to be more people have that trouble after a prolonger preiod of liquids/pirees trhan thsoe of us who eat soft foods again quickly.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

Carrie W.
on 5/28/11 8:50 am - KY
MY plan IS very restrictive and has tons of rules.  Hell, I've got a whole book filled with stuff I can't eat (including all fruit).  I'm hoping this will eventually become my new "normal". 
Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 5/28/11 9:39 am - OH
But you JUST had surgery!  I am NOT talking about new post-ops.  I am talking about people 9-12 months out and more.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

cheermonkeysmom
on 5/28/11 7:25 am - Smithsburg, MD
cheermonkeysmom
on 5/28/11 7:26 am - Smithsburg, MD
Glad to see someone on here from my area. And you used the same surgical team as My husband and I. We used Dr Steele. Do you ever attend any of the support group meetings in Hagerstown?
 Highest Weight - 220/ Date of Surgery - 194/ Goal Weight - 125 CW 122  2nd Goal - 115

jenbear
on 5/28/11 7:41 am - hagerstown , MD
no but ive been trying to find some, i remember steele though when i was picking my surgeon, so you live in hag i see huh, how is your surgery going for you?
cheermonkeysmom
on 5/28/11 7:59 am - Smithsburg, MD
Surgery is going great. It's been about 3 1/2 months and I am only about 20 lbs from my personal goal. Dr Steele was very pleased with my progress when I went to see her a few weeks ago. I feel great and normal again. My husband and I have gone a few times to the support group in Hagerstown at Robinwood, but haven't been lately. I use OH for my support right now since my kids keep my schedule so busy. I see that you are 2 years out. Are you happy with your results? Have you done any plastics yet?
 Highest Weight - 220/ Date of Surgery - 194/ Goal Weight - 125 CW 122  2nd Goal - 115

jenbear
on 5/28/11 8:19 am - hagerstown , MD
i am very happy , they only expected me to lose about 80, and i have lost about 110, i would like to lose about 25 more, but thats on me, no big deal, hahahah! I havnt gained a pound and have never had any problems up until now.  It seems i might be becoming reactive hypo, so that sucks!  So im gonna start following mainly like an atkins plan, kinda of like what we are supposed to do, protein protein protein, hahhah., but it will be ok.  No plastics needed in my case, i lost all mine over a years time, kinda slower than you, and i went to the gym alot and still do.  Im running for the first time in my life!  All that seems to help!  You dont go to golds by chance do you ?
M M
on 5/28/11 5:01 am
 Because RNY only works for so long for so many unless you change everything you did before.

Diets, sometimes become a necessary evil.

Many RNY patients regain -- and they don't know any other WAY to lose weight if they've already had the drastic step of surgery.
DisneyLover
on 5/28/11 6:33 am - WI
I don't see it as a diet.  I see my new 'plan' as a healthy way of eating that I didn't know about before surgery.  I feel great with my new way of eating and I like sticking to my 'plan'.  Protein first, low fat, no drinking with meals.  

Sarah

Most Active
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 29 replies · 294 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 220 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 16 replies · 287 views
What?s on tap for this Saturday?
Melody P. · 4 replies · 147 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?