Why "diet" after RNY?

jenbear
on 5/28/11 7:52 am - hagerstown , MD
i think the big pic is it doesnt matter how you think of it, diet, plan, whatever, it just has to be done!  None of us can go around eating ho ho's and big ol cheesburgers and frenchfrys(with our diet coke), you know youve done it before, hahahaha (i have)!  Im going back to atkins because it works for me, and it will be easier than wondering if my sugar is gonna drop out and im gonna have a seizure, hahahahh, it seems im now fighting reactive hypoglycemia.  Weird enough though its not to far off from the paper they handed me before i had surgery telling me what i can and can not eat (DIET/PLAN). 

So i say whatever gets you through the day, just get it done! 

now im not saying we should be trying weigh****chers or any of that crap, have you ever looked on the back of a smart one's, no thanks for me anyway, hahahahah!  Or the hcg diet or what ever those drops are and then you only eat 500 calories, now thats not even a diet, that would be tourture if you ask me!  

But remember thats just my idea of it all ! 
Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 5/28/11 9:41 am - OH
Just curious... how do you think Atkins is going to help your RH??

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

H.A.L.A B.
on 5/28/11 9:29 pm
Lora,
Atkins way of eating  - modified Atkins for me since too many fats make me ill - makes my BS stable.  Even small amount of starchy carbs can make my sugar to drop even if eaten with fats and proteins. 
Getting no more than 30 net grams of carbs per day (I do not count fiber as carbs) really works for my RH.  Most of my carbs comes from nuts, non-starchy veggies and some fruits. 

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 5/28/11 9:37 pm - OH
Thanks, Hala.  I was just trying to figure out how Atkins would help if just making appropriate choices from the normal RNY post-op plan wouldn't...

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

H.A.L.A B.
on 5/28/11 9:57 pm

Lora, I took your comment as a question - trying to understand and not being judgmental.  (I guess we "know each other" enough... ).  Until I adopted that way of eating (my own personal food choices - a "Hala's diet"...lol)  my blood sugar would crash at least once a week.  In a scary, very low RH way... (under 40 or under 30).  But when I eliminated the starchy carbs and milk, and some low fiber fruits - suddenly everything got balanced.   I hope that will last long term… if not – I will have to find out a new way of eating…

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Susank505
on 5/28/11 8:07 am - Mt. Pleasant, MI
This is my post from the Dukan Diet thread question with edits:

One "diet" that worked temporarily for me in my years before RNY was the Michael Thurmond 6 Week Body Makeover plan. I lost 30 lbs in the six weeks and it brought my cholesterol and A1C to totally normal in that time!! However, it being so restricive i couldnt maintain the plan but I think I could be successful now after RNY. It involved eating 2 oz of protein every 3 hours plus some small amounts of carbs, no sugar, no white flour, etc. And yes of course, I gained back all I had lost after a while. :)

With the size of my tummy now I would have not problem I think and would be a good food plan in itself when trying to figure out what to eat. It promotes water and exercise and lots of good things. There is a website that is free with forums and recipes and things too.

However, like Lori says above we really do have a plan to follow but if you need something more defined or planned one of these could be helpful!

Any meal plan that promotes healthy eating is useful I think.  I dont want to eventually gravitate back to my old eating habits.

My program at this stage doesnt share a meal plan other than protein firs****er, limit excess carbs.
~Susan~    HT 5'6"
HW 278 / PRE-OP 270 / SW 260 / CW 197/ GW 150

WOOHOOO!!!!  I AM 60.8% TO MY GOAL WEIGHT!!!!!
"Be the change you want to see in the World" - Ghandi

seattledeb
on 5/28/11 9:55 am

A diet is what you eat.  My diet used to be fast food and daily donuts. Now my diet is protein first and no drinking with my  meals.
I understand what you are saying Lorna. It is sad to me to hear the desperation in some posts. They want the  weight off NOW. They aren't happy with the results. They think a different diet is going to be magic.
It did help me to reclaim the word "diet"..Diet = food that I eat. I get to chose my diet today.
Deb T.

Ladytazz
on 5/28/11 11:02 am
 Not trying to be argumentative or anything but they told me after my first WLS that I never had to diet again.  I took that to mean I could eat whatever I wanted.  Of course I regained most of the weight I lost.
This time I look at it differently.  I finally figured out that the surgery is a tool.  A tool to help me eat in a  way to lose weight and keep it off.  I call it a diet because for me it seems to be black and white, diet or free for all.  Now I eat in a disciplined way.  I plan my meals.  I eat on a schedule.  I don't eat impulsively or compulsively.
My diet, or plan, or whatever you want to call it is pretty liberal, at least to me.  I can eat whatever I want except things with sugar or wheat in it.  I just can't eat however much I want or when I want.
I'll never forget my sister calling  me right after I had my revision.  She had a RNY nearly 9 years ago and lost most of her weight and over the years had put some back on, about 40 lbs.  She said to me "I have to do something that you don't have to worry about now, something I thought I would never have to do again, I  have to go on a diet."   I don't know where she got the idea that you didn't have to diet after WLS.  The difference is that I don't go on a diet.  I have a diet.

WLS 10/28/2002 Revision 7/23/2010

High Weight  (2002) 240 Revision Weight (2010) 220 Current Weight 115.

H.A.L.A B.
on 5/28/11 9:34 pm
Yeap. I do agree with you post. 

I am not of a diet... I have a diet... A way of eating that is going to help me mainain my weight loss and my sanity... (not enough food - or nutrition - and due to deficincies - I can go "crazy").

jayndi
on 5/28/11 11:51 am
When I had my RNY 7 yrs ago, I lost 150 lbs.  I had about 20 more that I would have liked to have lost  but I was healthy and happy.  The I got pregnant about 16 mon after RNY (which was half the reason I had surgery)  I was determined to stay on the plan and exercise through out.  Unfortunately, complications did not allow for that.  I gained 40 lbs and developed some bad habits of eating constantly and not exercising (dr orders).  Then I was blessed with another pregnancy and gained another 40.  Now losing weight is almost as hard as it was before I had surgery.  I have been working hard since the beginning of the year and I have lost 45 lbs.  I have realized that I do still have restriction- I just wasnt listening to my body.  I do have to "diet", but I have finally learned that there are rules for my body that I need to live by.  I can not have carbs (bread, pasta etc) because I automatically crave them and gain weight almost immediately.  I am following the rules- my diet consists of lean protien and veggies mostly.  When I feel myself slipping or my weight loss stops, I do switch things up.  I am sort of following the Dukan diet, but I do it my way.  I did the attack phase which is soley lean protien and fat free dairy for 5 days- then you move on to Protien, fat free dairy and Veggies.  It not much different than the RNY "diet".  It has helped me get on track/back on track. 

That said:
Personally, I think you need to do what works for you.  You know your body better than anyone else.  What is right for you, might not be right for someone else.  I am jealous of people who can eat what ever they want in moderation and not gain weight- I cant!  Dont feel sorry for me (or others like me) it is what it is!  I have finally come to terms with it and I am staying strong and not giving up until  I am where I want to be.  I will get there how ever I have to as long as its a healthy and sane way of doing it.  God bless those who never have to diet again- wish I had gotten that model.  Lol!
Most Active
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 29 replies · 292 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 217 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 16 replies · 285 views
What?s on tap for this Saturday?
Melody P. · 4 replies · 146 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 217 views