Should I count calories?

Lisa R.
on 5/29/11 9:13 am - CA
 I have heard a few different opinions on this from different sources.  I am 4 weeks out, and starting to be able to take in more foods.   I am careful to measure my food to 2 ounces as my doctor said, I do all my vitamins and I get most of my protein in a day.  

When I do add up calories I am usually between 700 and 900 a day.  Is this too much, to little or do calories really matter?  Isn't getting in the "right"  food in more important then anything else?
Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 5/29/11 10:01 am - OH
MY surgeon does not have her patients count calories... she just has them measure portions initially and emphasize protein.  I am almost 4 years out and I still do not count calories regularly (although I occasionally track my food for a day or two to see if am still "on track").  Once I  quit losing and my weight was stable, I just tracked several days worth of food to see what my caloric intake was so I would know how many calories keeps me maintaining my weight.  If your surgeon did not give you caloric guidelines, (s)he apparently is like mine and does not beluieve it is necessary.

Some surgeons, however, give their patients a month-by-month calorie guide to follow.  If your surgeon gave you specific calorie targets, you should be counting calories.  Although it was not necessary for me (and, realistically, I was NOT going to track my daily food intake for the rest of my life), some people find that it IS necessary for them to track food every day in order to stay on track.

Like everything else, with this surgery, it's about finding out what will work FOR YOU in the LONG-TERM.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

cajungirl
on 5/29/11 10:58 am
If you are following your eating plan and measuring then you should be fine.

I didn't start tracking until I reached goal. Now occasionally I will log into fitday to see how I'm doing but not everyday.

Proximal RNY Lap - 02/21/05

9 years committed ~  100% EWL and Maintaining

www.dazzlinglashesandbeyond.com

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 29 replies · 385 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 27 replies · 358 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 327 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 16 replies · 171 views