Snacking

ChasingButterflies
on 6/2/11 2:01 am - FL
Hi everyone,

I'm 3 months out and over the past few days, I feel like I need to eat and eat and eat after dinner.  Granted, I'm not eating regularly, so this could be what's causing it.  But, I am eating healthy, when I snack.  I will normally go for the rice cakes or cheese.  But, has anyone else just felt like a bottomless pit?
~Brooke~
We delight in the beauty of the butterfly, but rarely admit the changes it has gone through to achieve that beauty.  ~Maya Angelou    
Pre-Surgery Weight: 315  RNY 2-28-2011
Katari
on 6/2/11 2:04 am - OR
How much protein are you getting in? I find the higher protein content I get in the less I feel like snacking. At 3 months out you should be around 85g per day of protein. Maybe try beef jerkey instead of rice cakes? Do you have an example of what your eating a day?

Katie 
Ht. 5'2  HW 234/GW 150/LW 128/CW 132 
Size 18/20 to a size 4 in 9 months!

(deactivated member)
on 6/2/11 2:12 am - TX
Three months out as well. I want to snack and I figure its old habit, not hunger, really. I am not being a Nazi on myself - as long as I am eating good things and I stay in my calorie and protein range, I snack when I want to. I do better eating less during the day and more in the evening because I have always been that way.

What are you eating? I have rice cakes but I put peanut butter on them. I have beef jerky, whole grain pita chips with hummus or peanut butter, sushi, etc.
wufpackerfan
on 6/2/11 2:40 am - Garner, NC
I'm 3 months out as well as of today.  I don't have a tendency to snack but I could.  I guess I try not to but I do have some sugar free popsicles after dinner every night.  My typical day might include:

Breakfast:  UNJURY brand Chocolate Splendor protein shake (8oz fat free milk)--I drink this daily

Lunch:  Boiled egg or left over grilled chicken breast or homemade chilli -- something with protein it it for sure.

Afternoon snack:  Might be jello sugar free pudding, or low fat cottage cheese, slice of cantaloupe, beef jerky, or turkey pepperoni, or even a boiled egg if I haven't eaten one for the day.

Dinner:  Normally includes meat...grilled chicken breast, 90% lean grilled hamburger, homemade chilli, turkey breast in the crock pot, etc.  I watch my portion size.

After dinner snack:  Usually sugar free popsicles.  I might allow myself to eat 2 of them.  They have only 15 calories each and no sugar so I splurge on those.  Might have some beef jerky too.

That's about it though.  I stick to the no drinking for 30 mins before and after rule too.  I usually don't fill full most of the time either, I feel like I could eat more possibly.  But I just stop myself after I've eaten my portion.  I try not to snack in between meals if I can help it.  But if it's a healthy snack then I don't see why it wouldn't be okay. 

Keep up the good work sounds like you're doing great!!!

"Nothing tastes as GOOD and being HEALTHY FEELS!" 

RNY (3/11)   Age: 45  Height: 5'5"  &  NO plastic surgical procedures                                                      Starting weight: 270  Lowest weight: 132  Goal weight: 135  Current weight: 138.8 

jenni93
on 6/2/11 4:24 am
I'm coming up on 6 months post-op and asked about snacking at our support group last night.  I have lots of trouble making my protein goal just on 3 meals alone.  Still can't eat a lot in one sitting so I snack mid-morning and mid-afternoon on protein items such as greek yogurt, beef jerky, cheese, etc.  My bariatric coordinator said snacks are important for this reason for the first months as long as they're contributing toward the protein allowance.  Eventually,  when your pouch can hold enough in a sitting, it's much better to move away from snacking, since for some people it can be a mindless activity that can eventually lead to grazing - a big no-no that can pack on the pounds.  Before surgery, I used to snack while sitting at the computer at work.  I still do this, but only eat my planned snacks.  I've still decided that I need to break this habit / association so that I don't go back to eating mindlessly in front of the computer.  That's my new resolution!!!  (and yes, I've already blown it today - picking myself up, dusting myself off, and trying again tomorrow.   I'm definitely a work in progress!)
   SW:  285   GW:  155    CW:  143          

Wishmeluck123
on 6/2/11 4:29 am
Some days can feel like that. I started to really pay attention to the fact that I suffer from head hunger quite a bit. I am trying to ask myself am I really hungry? How long ago did I eat? Was my last meal/snack protein filled....? If I am truly hungry I eat. I love beef jerky. High protein low in fat.....I love sugar free ice pops......15 calories each. And they count towards fluid intake. I also will eat a 1/2 serving of rice cakes.....if I really crave that crunchy salty snack.....

I always tell myself I had stomach surgery not brain surgery. We need to retrain ourselves. It is the hardest part of our journey. Getting rid of old habits. Grrrrr.......It will be a struggle for me forever.

Just make sure to get your protein allowance in the best you can. Drink alot.....crystal light, H2O are good choices.......and if you are still hungry have smart healthy high fiber/protein snacks.

Glenny's makes a really great soy crisp. They have protein in the crisp. Similar to a rice cake but more beneficial to our health. Check out www.glennys.com   I just ordered a carton, since I was having trouble finding them in the stores.....

Melissa~ 

Acceptance means that you can find the serenity within to let go of the past with its mistakes and regrets, move into the future with a new perspective, and appreciate the opportunity to take a second chance!

Michelle E.
on 6/2/11 12:54 pm

Bottomless pit.. yes,, I know how you feel..Maybe drink some Crystal light with benefiber helps.. hot cup of green tea, I eat SF Sweet Pickles or SF jello as a night time snack..

Sometimes, I just have to "do" something like take a bath or meditate or write in my journal to get my mind off of food...

Protein snacks with a little fat may help.. I do a slice of cheese with an Omega 3-6-9 supplement. It might be in my head.. but seems to do the trick..

Good luck..

Michelle

Most Active
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 55 replies · 404 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 449 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 31 replies · 345 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 346 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?