Symptoms of hypoglycemia vs dumping

SweetGatorGirl
on 6/6/11 2:31 am - Gainesville, FL
I am 7 months out and had an incident on Friday which landed me in the hospital because co-workers were worried and called the paramedics.  I had eaten normally (scrambled egg for breakfast, greek yogurt for snack, chili for lunch) when I felt a tightness in my chest, heart felt like it was racing, sick to my stomach, and sweating.  Paramedics checked my heart rate which was 44, blood sugar was 50, blood pressure was 88/42.  No wonder I felt like crap.  They gave me a tube of glucose and I swallowed as much as I could (maybe a 1/4 tube) before throwing it up.  The hospital focused on the possible heart attack issues and totally ignored blood sugar, blood pressure, and heart rate.

Today I followed up with my PCP who believes its Hypoglycemia.  Is it possible I was dumping instead?  For those with RH who also dump, what is the difference in the symptoms?  I'm very curious.

Thanks.
HW 252/SW 243/GW 135/CW 146                

nfarris79
on 6/6/11 2:41 am - Germantown, MD
nfarris79
on 6/6/11 2:49 am - Germantown, MD
 Here's a link to a blog post I did about dumping:
http://www.obesityhelp.com/member/nfarris79/blog/2011/05/uzo ne,blog/action,2011/blog_id,320138/blog_page,4/
or do a search for "Pathophysiology of Dumping Syndrome". I tried to post the flowchart to my response but half of it kept getting cut off! I know there are other posters who've talked about RH so do a search for some early posts - you may find them really enlightening, like what to eat before bed so you don't end up with an RH episode at midnight!

First ultra: Stone Mill 50 miler 11/15/14 13:44:38, First Full Marathon: Marine Corps 10/27/13 4:57:11Half Marathon PR 2:04:43 at Shamrock VA Beach Half-Marathon, 12/2/12 First Half-Marathon 2:32:47, 5K PR  Run Under the Lights 5K 27:23 on 11/23/13, 10K PR 52:53 Pike's Peek 10K 4/21/13(1st timed run) Accumen 8K 51:09 10/14/12.

SweetGatorGirl
on 6/6/11 2:57 am - Gainesville, FL
Thanks for the info provided.  I will take a look at it.  I am continuing my research, too.
HW 252/SW 243/GW 135/CW 146                

H.A.L.A B.
on 6/6/11 3:35 am, edited 6/6/11 3:51 am
I think there are 3 different issues:
early dumping
hypoglycemia
reactive hypoglycemia.

Most of us get some form or another all 3 of those.
- Early dumping: look at symptoms for dumping post op RNY (you can look here or just google it)
- Hypoglycemia - a drop in blood sugar due to not enough storage of glycogen in the body, not enough food intake, too much exercise, too much insulin (for diabetics on insulin, etc.) - again - google that.
- Reactive hypoglycemia (very common post op RNY) - is also called delayed -late dumping
Reactive hypoglycemia episode - usually will happen 1-2 hrs after eating food containing carbs. Simple or complex carbs. Initially after consuming those foods the blood sugar raises very fast (due to stoma, and rerouted intestines) and then pancreas releases insulin (usually a bit too much ) in response to the blood sugar rapid increase. That then will cause hypoglycemia - or low blood sugar.

Some people may have one or all of them at the same time. A lot of us post op RNY have all 3 of them. That's why most of us need to eat 6 times a day as long as we are active and watch for the simple sugars. Some of us will get reaction to almost any carbs - simple or complex.

You probably had the early dumping followed by hypoglycemia due to dumping...

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

AngieT75
on 6/6/11 3:46 am
Thanks for the info as i was curious also.

RNY Nov 17, 2011

High weight 423

Surgery day 403

Current 162

261 lost

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 29 replies · 378 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 27 replies · 351 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 312 views