3 weeks out... Is this normal?

azambesi
on 6/8/11 11:47 pm - Milton, FL
I had my surgery 5/16 and everything was going great... Until Saturday.  Since Saturday, I have had three different meals where I have thrown up several hours after eating.  I really feel ok after I eat, but an hour or so later, when I start to drink again, I am all of a sudden WAY too full and feel like the food or drink is backing up into my throat and not going anywhere!

After a little while of this, I throw up. Not to be gross, but it seems to be coming up in layers, I am first throwing up a bunch of really thick spit, then whatever I drank, then whatever I ate hours before.

Here are my questions:

I see people post about their pouch not liking something - is that code for "I tossed my cookies?"

Is this food really sitting in my stomach for hours? Or can we throw up from below the pouch?

Other meals seem to be fine. Am I just super food sensitive? Or is this something I should worry about?

Aletheia

laura_vermont
on 6/9/11 12:00 am

You may be developing a stricture or you may have eaten too fast, or not chewed well enough.  It's something to keep an eye on.

Personally, I have not vomitted once since surgery -- so when my pouch doesn't like something it's more about something sitting heavy or having an upset stomach feeling.

High Weight 278; consult weight 234; Surgery Weight 219 Surgeon's Goal Weight 150 -10/27/10  -  Personal goal weight 140 - Achieved 12/11/10  

Rebecca G.
on 6/9/11 12:05 am - Wilmington, NC
Make sure you're chewing enough...like way more than you actually think you need to be chewing. It took me a while to get used to that. The few times (three) that I ever threw up was because of that.

(deactivated member)
on 6/9/11 12:13 am - TX
The thick spit is the "foamies" or what your stomach is producing to help get that food down, and it isn't going anywhere.

I have thrown up three times in three months. The first time was three weeks out, when I was cleared to eat fish. I chose salmon. I truly thought I just ate too much that time, and it took about an hour for everything to come back up, but I knew for a solid 45 minutes it was coming, lol. The spit came up first, then the fish. (Sorry if TMI!!)

Second time, I ate two bites of brisket at a company bbq. I think it got stuck and just wouldn't go down, and I should not have tried to eat it so early out - I was at 8 weeks, I believe. Same scenario - nasty foamies then throwing up an hour later.

Third time was last weekend. I ate three ounces of salmon and immediately knew I was going to toss my cookies. I had a 45 minute round of foamies and grossness, then up came all the fish.

I won't be eating salmon again. I could eat it before but since its made me throw up two times I won't chance it again, there are too many other kids of fish out there.

As everyone said, make sure you chew, chew, chew and that when you swallow it basically has the consistency of runny oatmeal. Then your stomach isn't doing all the work. It will get better. I am 13 weeks out and eating lots of normal stuff now and just being careful about portions and chewing.
johnsoca
on 6/9/11 12:35 am - Madison, AL
I agree with the posters above -- you most likely had problems because you didn't chew well enough and food got "stuck." Your bites may have been too large as well. They need to be about the size of a pencil eraser. When that happens, it's a good idea to take it easy on your food choices for a couple of meals to let your pouch settle down. Go to soft foods or even liquids for a meal or two.

If this problem starts happening more often, gets more severe, or you start having problems with liquids, get yourself to the doctor!
_Donna_
on 6/9/11 12:46 am
I do exactly what you do about 3 times a week. Each time seems to be because I was distracted while eating and maybe not chewed thoroughly enough.
Try eating with no distractions, take smaller bites and chew to applesauce consistency before swallowing.
Good luck, i feel your pain

RNY 5-5-2011

franjellica
on 6/9/11 1:38 am - PA
sounds like what happens to me.. does it feel like indejestion like you have to burp  to try to feel better?
azambesi
on 6/9/11 2:27 am - Milton, FL
Totally feels like indigestion! Except the burping doesn't actually make me feel better.  Right now I am sitting here just trying to drink. Not even thinking about food today. UGH! You are a couple of weeks ahead of me, how often is this happening to you?
franjellica
on 6/9/11 2:46 am - PA
for like the last week and half yea burping dont help much here either but that is how I feel.. i just ate a ounce of greek yogurt and and it is happening again it is like acid indigestion.. and I take the generic prylesec...they just called me back and i have to go get a upper gi and see if i have ulcer
azambesi
on 6/9/11 2:58 am - Milton, FL
Let me know what they find. I may be trying to get the GI next.
Most Active
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 52 replies · 462 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 48 replies · 532 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 40 replies · 513 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 402 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 8 replies · 31 views
Recent Topics