Pre-Op Weight Loss

sunny_in_texas
on 6/9/11 1:07 pm - San Antonio, TX
I have noticed a lot of people on here that have lost a lot of weight pre-op. I'm scheduled to have my surgery 6/28 and I have only lost 10 lbs!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I start my liquid diet next week, so hopefully that will help, but has anyone had trouble loosing weight prior to surgery? Am I the only one who is going into this with such a low pre-op weight loss. I'm worried........
Sunny B.

Decide what to be and go be it.....

Bettisima
on 6/9/11 1:16 pm
I lost no weight pre op. I didn't have a. 3 or 6 month supervised diet requirement. Also, I changed insurances during my journey and I am a light weight, BMI of 42, I was afraid I wouldn't qualify. I dis also have high blood pressure, so I might have been ok, but I was seriously afraid to risk it.
bittybabynurse
on 6/9/11 1:18 pm - MN
I've only lost 9 pounds so far. I started the preop liquid diet today. My goal was 15 total lost before surgery, so I should be right on track. I don't think you need to worry too much, unless your surgeon told you that you need to lose a certian amount. You could always track what you're eating, right down everything so you can see where you're off track so to speak. Good luck!
Highest  272 Consult 265 Goal 165 Current 158    

Pregnancy%20ticker
Make a pregnancy ticker]
(deactivated member)
on 6/9/11 1:25 pm
Loosing 10 pounds is better than gaining 10 pounds. Good job is loosing that. There are  people who have not lost any or who have actually gained.
vkhill22
on 6/9/11 1:32 pm - Duluth, MN
I didn't lose any weight before my liquid diet started. It wasn't a prerequisite for surgery. And then on my 2 week liquid diet, I only lost 9 pounds. And to top that off, the first time I was weighed after surgery, I put-on 15 pounds from the IV water drip while in the hospital. I was so bloated. My feet and legs were unrecognizable!! I went to the doctor and he said that's perfectly normal after any major surgery. He said the water will come off within the week being back home. And it did!! I don't know what your doctor's requirements are, but try not to worry. You will have plenty of time to take the weight off--after your successful surgery. I hope this helps. Good Luck!!
YankeeRose
on 6/9/11 1:55 pm - Meadville, PA
You are not alone. I too have only lost 10 lbs. I am on day 3 of my liquid diet and am hoping I lose more before surgery on the 21st.

Tammy
Luck 'o the Irish
HW399/SW362/CW219/GW130
*37 lbs were lost pre-op

Thisisit2011
on 6/9/11 2:15 pm, edited 6/9/11 2:24 pm - CA
There was no requirement by my insurance of by my surgeon to lose any weight.  But I have started the pre-op diet so I will be curious to see how much I lose in the two weeks before surgery.
elaynew
on 6/9/11 10:03 pm - Mohegan Lake, NY
I had lost about 20 lbs pre op but that's thanks to the liquid diet. You will see the lbs fly off!

Laura in Texas
on 6/9/11 10:25 pm
Your pre-op weight loss success in no way, shape, or form determines your post-op success. You are fine. We are having this surgery for a reason.  We need help.  My highest weight was 339.  When I started the process for bariatric surgery, I weighed 311.  I did the six month supervised diet for insurance purposes and lost ZERO pounds.  Yep, a big ol' goose egg.  Now I am at goal which is 140 pounds. 

You are definitely not alone!!

Laura

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

Holly O.
on 6/10/11 12:42 am - FL
You are doing great...........Ihave my surgery next Wed and have only lost 3-4 lbs.  I am following the low carb high protein diet to a tee............that is why I'm having this surgery.....I'm a slow, slow loser!! Do the best you can, you will be fine!!!
   Holly                                      
Most Active
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 27 replies · 362 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 332 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 16 replies · 196 views
What?s on tap for this Saturday?
Melody P. · 4 replies · 117 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 0 replies · 5 views