The thought of eating anything meat like makes me want to vomit !!

AWyldfire
on 6/21/11 2:53 pm - OH
I am 6 weeks out and can now eat some deli meats, eggs, cheese sticks etc... My problem is that I go to eat these things but my stomach turns and i feel like I could vomit, so I just grab my 52g protein shake and 64oz's of water and go on my way.  Will this ever end? Cottage cheese or yogurt used to be my favs, but now  Ugh !!! The thought just makes me cringe !! What else can I eat? I know I can't live on 2 shakes a day and water and liquid vites,  but that is my day !!!  My NUT just keeps saying "it will come, it will get better." Labs in 2 weeks and I guess we will see.  I want to eat food, but honestly I AM SCARED !!! Any advice, critiques and help is so greatly appreciated !! I am down 42 pounds and happy, but I believe I have hit my 2nd stall already   I am also finding myself with little energy and tired all the time. I bought an eliptical and have no energy to use it !!
Thanks,
Angi

(deactivated member)
on 6/21/11 4:05 pm, edited 6/21/11 4:07 pm
Angi... Baby steps! :)  Try lentils soup, or Anderson's split pea soup.  Both have lots of flavor and protein with little fat.  If you haven't tried Syntrax nectar protein, you may want to give them a try.  They come in many flavors, are very tasty, have 18 grams of isolated whey protein, and only 100 calories with zero fat and carbs.  I drink at least three servings a day and sip it over the day! 

Don't rush meats.  For me, I had to avoid beef for about a year and it took me about two years post-op before I could have an ounce of super tender steak such as filet mignon. 

Mix in a little low-fat chili (about 1-2 Tsp.) in a scrambled eggwhite. 

Also...  Buy some 2500mcg sublingual B-12 and let one dissolve under your tongue every morning!  And, what vitamins are you taking? Iron?

best!

Chris
AWyldfire
on 6/21/11 4:31 pm - OH
I use Wellesse Calcium & D3, Centrum liquid and biotin.  They say I don't need the iron due to having a hysterectomy.  I am heading to Dr. tomorrow to start my B12 shots =)

I love the chili (meatless of course) so I definately will try the scrambled egg whites with it.  Thanks for the advice and help.  I am more hopeful now =)

Best to You,
Angi

H.A.L.A B.
on 6/21/11 9:34 pm
don't need iron?  such an BS. I don't have periods for over 1.5 year. In one year, even with iron supplements my iron dropped so much that now I am considering iron infusions.
What is your iron? and ferritin? if there are too low - maybe normal but too low - then you need to start supplementing, and fast.  Or you will be like many of us.. once the iron drops it is so difficult to get  it up. 
in 3 years my iron, ferritin went from over 100 to 11... then i was able to raise it to 18... and it is back to 9.... I am so tired ALL the time... It sucks. 
BTW: my other numbers are good.. (finally). i.e. B12 injections - once a week - and finally my B12 is 800.... (most people need B12 once a month) 

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

AWyldfire
on 6/22/11 5:10 am - OH
That is EXACTLY what I was told, that since I no longer menstrate that I shouldn't need any iron supplements !! Now I am worried !! I get my labs done July 11th, so when I know my numbers I will share them.  Sorry to hear about your Iron issues, dang !!! Yes , B12 shots start tomorrow and Thank you for the help =)
Sincerely,
Angi

Carla M.
on 6/21/11 10:59 pm
RNY on 02/21/11 with
I'm agreeing with Hala on this one. You NEED iron! I had a hysterectomy 11 yrs ago and still have to take iron. My mom had one 32 yrs ago and needs iron. She actually has to get iron infusions. Everyone needs iron, regardless of having a uterus or not. That could explain some of the lack of energy. The B-12 shots will definitely help as well.

As far as meat, I'm right there with ya. The only time I can do even a little meat is when it cooks to mush in a crock pot. I still have a hard time with it, but it's better. I do lots of beans and mix unflavored protein powder with everything.

Good luck!
curvaceousdiva
on 6/21/11 5:54 pm - Hyattsville, MD
agree with previous poster. I am 14months out and STILL barely eat meats. I HATE the feeling afterwards; feels like an elephant is sitting on me. I stick to cheeses, FLAKY fish/seafood for protein.
Babygirl got her surgery March 3rd...     She's from 339 to 200 as of 6/14/2012.. SOO proud of my bigbabygirl                                                                   
gbsinsatx
on 6/21/11 9:37 pm - San Antonio, TX
 I don't eat meat. I did try many times to eat chicken, fish, and turkey in the beginning but it did not agree with me and it always felt like a rock sitting in my pouch. I have been eating a meatless diet since 3 months post-op. Check out my profile for the vegetarian eating plan I created if you'd like.

Age at RNY: 55, Height: 5'4", Consultation Weight: 331 lbs-12/1/2009, RNY Surgery Weight: 281 lbs-3/22/2010, Goal Weight Reached: 141 lbs-6/23/2011, Lowest Weight: 126 lbs-12/11/2011

Current Age: 61, Current Weight: 161 lbs-5/20/2016Total Weight Loss Maintained: 170 lbs  

curvaceousdiva
on 6/21/11 9:51 pm - Hyattsville, MD
gonna add you as a friend cause I'm VERY interested in this...
Babygirl got her surgery March 3rd...     She's from 339 to 200 as of 6/14/2012.. SOO proud of my bigbabygirl                                                                   
rayjack12
on 6/22/11 12:19 am
As with many others, I can't tolerate meats.  I'm 6 months out.  I can do a little ground beef if it is in chili or soup that has been cooked forever.  Other than that...*bleh*.  Chicken makes me feel awful.  Eggs are the worst! 

I eat a lot of beans, hummus (YUM!!), greek yogurt, cottage cheese, swiss cheese (2% sliced has about 6g per slice), nuts, and seeds.  I have been a vegetarian and even vegan at different points in my past.  This surgery has kind of gotten me back into that.  It is possible, you will just have to be careful!
Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 29 replies · 369 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 27 replies · 348 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 308 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 308 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 27 replies · 348 views