Weight gain 4 months out!!!!?????

Hvhmom
on 6/23/11 7:30 am - raleigh, NC
I KNOW that stalls are common BUT here's the kicker.......  I'm 4 months post op and the weight loss has come to a complete and utter stop!  To make matters worse, I actually GAINED 3 pounds over this past weekend and have yet to lose an ounce of it.
If anyone has read any of my post you know that I am a protein junky.  I mainly consume dense proteins and lighter ones at the start of my day.  My carb intake is less than 20 grams per day.  Occassionally, I may have a green apple or 2-3 strawberries but this is only 1-2 times per week.
I DO NOT snack and I get in most of my water 45-54 oz on average.  I know that it should be more.

Here's what I typically eat:

B: Greek Yogurt, boiled egg w/ slice cheese, or scrambled egg w/ tomatoes
S: Rarely to never (green apple if any)
L:  Shrimp w/broc or tomatoes, chili, baked chicken, or whater dinner meat from the day before
S: NOPE
D: Roast, salmon, mahi mahi, pork, or whatever fish, chicken, meat is prepared that night w/a wee bit of steamed veg.
In a RARE blue moon, I may have 1-2 slices of plantain with dinner
S: Perhaps 2 strawberries if ANY. 

I stear clear of sweets because they make me feel ill and I have yet to consume ANY bread, juice, rice, or soda.  The only fluid that I consume is water.

I honestly don't know what is going on or where I can improve.  ANY advice would be greatly appreciated!

HW 269/SW 263/CW 184/GW 135                        
Diminishing Dawn
on 6/23/11 7:35 am - Windsor, Canada
My suggestion is to start adding some more snacks. Stick with protein but your body may need more calories to increase your metabolism. You need to stoke the fire.

17+ years post op RNY. first year blog here or My LongTimer blog. Tummy Tuck Dr. Matic 2014 -Ohip funded panni Windsor WLS support group.message me anytime!
HW:290 LW:139 RW: 167 CW: 139

cajungirl
on 6/23/11 7:41 am
Add in 2 protein snacks and see what happens. Do you have any idea how many calories and how much protein you are eating?

Proximal RNY Lap - 02/21/05

9 years committed ~  100% EWL and Maintaining

www.dazzlinglashesandbeyond.com

walterswife
on 6/23/11 7:58 am
You should be eating 5 times daily--two snacks and 3 meals.  Every timeyou eat it should include protein.  You rarely snack and when you do snack, there is no protein.

And yes, you may not be eating enough.  What are you doing for exercise?

Your weight loss reflects that you are doing well for 4 months out.

Finally, up your water.  Don't be discouraged. Patience is the key.

HW 240/ SW 229/ GW 146/CW 125; OH Support Group Leader   

Starting size:  18W-20;  Present size: 0 or 2; 5'5-1/2" tall. 
Current BMI 20.4 as of 2/13/2013 (normal for the first time in my life).
Goal weight reached on 8/12/2010; As of 1/13/2013, 21 pounds below goal

Hvhmom
on 6/23/11 8:08 am - raleigh, NC
Thank you all for the feedback.
I typically hover around 480-650 calories per day.   I don't know what to choose snackwise because everything acceptable just seems like more of the same from B,L, or dinner.  I'm soo afraid of taking in too many carbs.  I feel like if add a greek yogurt..... i'm adding more carbs.  Same with peanut butter.  Perhaps I could add a cheese stick.  I can't stand protein shakes so I avoid them at all cost.  Once in a blue I will have a "premier protein shake" BUT I don't jazz it up because again, i'm afraid of increasing my carb intake.
Working out:  I do 20-30 minutes of intense cardio 2-3 times per week.  I do stay pretty active on most days in my garden etc. or just running around doing errands or cleaning my house.
Increasing my caloric intake may be the key.   The dense proteins that I eat just leave me full for soo long it's hard to get in anything else.

HW 269/SW 263/CW 184/GW 135                        
(deactivated member)
on 6/23/11 11:33 pm - Boston, MA
 I agree you're not eating enough.. I was on a long stall of 3 weeks and spoke to my NUT I was only getting in 400 calories she said to double it.. which I did and the next day started dropping weight again!  good luck
paranoidmother21
on 6/23/11 8:15 am - Lake Zurich, IL
Ok, carbs as found in greek yogurt are NOT the kind that give us grief. They are from natural milk sugars, and do not kick in the cravings that we experience from refined carbs (breads, candies, and the like).

Go ahead and add a snack of greek yogurt. Or a snack of cheese sticks. Or, for a change, take some shredded cheese and put little piles of it (about 14g at a time) onto a sheet of parchment paper and place in a 250 degree oven until it melts. Let it cool, and you have cheese crisps.

If you want to jazz up protein shakes (and I jazz ALL of mine up, always have!), try sugar free syrups like they use at Starbucks. You can frequently purchase a bottle from them, or I get mine (Torani brand usually, although there are several out there) at the grocery store or World Market. Those do not add any carbs, although they do contain sugar alcohols, and make a world of difference in the flavors.

Best of luck making it work - and while you're hanging on, consider that you're over half way to goal. It's not uncommon for your body to need a rest from the loss, and to consolidate itself for a few weeks. That may include hanging on to water and stool for a couple days, which may in turn cause a few pound weight gain for a few days.

For you to actually gain 3 pounds of real, staying-on there weight, you would need over 10,000 extra calories. With your 480-650, I guarantee you don't have those. These 3 pounds WILL be gone soon.

Try not to stress, and things WILL start moving in the proper direction again.
Rebecca
Circumferential LBL, anchor TT, BL/BR, brachioplasty 12-16-10 Drs. Howard and Gutowski

Thigh lift 3-24-11, Drs. Howard and Gutowski again!
Height 5' 5".  Start point 254.  DH's goal: 154.  My guess: 144.  Insurance goal: 134.  Currently bouncing around 130-135.

Christina135
on 6/24/11 11:00 am
You simply are NOT eating enough.  Period.

Your body is starving, and attempting to hold onto EVERYTHING! 

Add a protein shake, a spoon of peanut butter, and maybe a couple of cheese sticks.

You need more calories than what you are taking in just to survive! 

GOOD LUCK! 

Christina

Let it begin with me.

03/2009 - SW:261 GW 135 (CW:131)

Most Active
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 27 replies · 360 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 330 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 16 replies · 194 views
What?s on tap for this Saturday?